Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any ideas on quite case??

Options
  • 24-11-2006 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

sorry for the 2nd post but need a new case.

was looking at the Akasa Mirage 62 and kinda fell in love with it.also i seen the Akasa Eclipse 62 gota very good review and i am wondering whats the real diffrence between these is it just the front or what.oh and also are these cases bigger or smaller then the p180??

any other ideas will be cool.

my budget is around 150e.

hope ye can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Also have a look at the Antec P150 (compact midi ATX tower) or the Antec Sonata 2 (a great bargin). Neither of these cases will suit if you intend slapping in plenty of hardrives or a water cooling kit though.

My friend recently built his brother's box and used an antec P180 and was very impressed with the amount of noise the case suppresses.

Other than that, the Akasa eclipse cases have always gotten great reviews and along with the P180 are 2 of the best cases on the market for airflow.
    (if you can believe custom PC)

If you look at the specs of the mirage and the eclipse they both carry the same dimensions, so they very well might be very similar with the mirage being a rev 2 eclipse. Have a look at a few reviews for both to see if this holds true or not.

What do you intend putting in the case :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

air had watercooling but its a pain in the ass ..think i might go for the Akasa Mirage 62 .also whats the best performence fan for low noise??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I can only go with my experience of course but I'm curently running a P180. It houses an AMD X2 3800 clocked to 2500mhz, an ATI X1900XT that is also fairly well overclocked. It has three hard drives.
    At this moment it is running the beta Folding@Home GPU client plus the CPU client which has both cpu cores and the GPU maxed out.
    I have the three fans that come with the case on their mid setting.
    My case temp is 33c and hard drives all at 29c....just goes to show that having a case in separate compartments does work!
    I can't hear the fans over the sound of the hard drives spinning.

I would, however, still like the Akasas Eclipse as it looks so much nicer :)

hopeful wrote:
    I would, however, still like the Akasas Eclipse as it looks so much nicer :)

just wondering does it run as quite as the p180 tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Probably much the same. Easier to build an Akasa though....cable management on the P180 is a pain....I would fear to even show a picture of my spaghetti :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Akasa Amber series 120mm are quality if you are looking for quiet fans and are thankfully easy to get, you can buy them off the shelf in peats.

In issue 32 of custom PC they ran a lab test of ATX cases and which cooled parts the best.

The Antec P180 and the Akasa Mirage both cam out top of the class for cooling, with the P180 placed in pole position.

According to CPC the Mirage is an updated version of the eclipse.

They also reckoned that the P180 was the way to go for a quiet case.

Last I saw in peats they had an Akasa Eclipse and a P180 on display.(ages ago) Not sure if they are still there. But worht a quick peek if you are in dublin.

The biggest difference between both cases is that the P180 has BTX like design, PSU is at the bottom of the case, and the MB is in a seperate chamber in the case to the PSU.

As I said before, my firend recently built a rig using a P180. He found the layout time consuming to work with: you really have to be cleaver with you cable layout and take your time building it. But he said himself the thing is pretty much silent and putting in the work was worth it for a very tidy cabling job.

There is a X1900XT 256mb in the rig with the crap reference cooler and under load you can barely hear the card.

The P180 also has a layer of plastic between the 2 layers of aluminium on the case which is why it suppresses the noise so well. The P180 is a bit tight though, so not the case for a water cooling kit and prob not the best for extreme overclocking.

The Eclipse has the standard ATX layout, has plenty of room and would be the case to get if you were water cooling or overclocking. It is also meant to be very quiet if you replace the stock fans with better ones.

TBH either case is a great choice for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I have an Antec P150 and it's ok, mine would be really quiet if my old X900PRO fan wasn't so friggin noisy, and the chipset fan covered by the same fan!
    I can hear it at night when it's quiet, but not during the day at all.
    Love the HD suspension in it and the sound damper panels built in.
    Also comes in black, but it's called Antec Solo.

ok going for the Akasa Mirage 62 .hope it will do a good job :D

Advertisement