Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTO Cycle Policy

Options
  • 24-11-2006 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

This has probably been posted before, but I've just seen the Dublin Transport Office cycle policy. It looks encouraging, but stops short of setting targets, and we'll have to see if anything happens:
    http://www.dto.ie/web2006/cyclepolicy.pdf

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I wrote to Mr Ryan earlier this month. No reply at all.
    Mr Ryan,

I just read the Cycle Policy document. As a long time cyclist
    (school, college, work [9 miles each way]), there are some depressing
    figures there.

I was surprised at the short length of the average trips to work and
    school.

Cycle commuters have many valid complaints e.g. discontinuous cycle
    tracks (just like QBCs) and some poor quality cycle tracks (because
    the statutes do not specify basic standards).
    I am lucky that my employer has a bike shed (partially covered) and
    showers. Other employers aren't so enlightened.
    The cycle track on the Navan Road (Ashtown-Cabra) is also good.

Damien
    Cycle commuter
    Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I wrote a similar letter foccusing on the state of cycle lanes. I'm no fan of lanes myself, but recognise that many people feel safer on them. In London, all new commercial buildings are required to have cycle facilities. Red Ken has an anti-car attitude, which manifests itself in the congestion charge, improved buses, and a more cycle friendly environment.
    My employer has good secure cycle shelters, showers, lockers and even a €3 per day payment if you don't use your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Mucco wrote:
    This has probably been posted before, but I've just seen the Dublin Transport Office cycle policy. It looks encouraging, but stops short of setting targets, and we'll have to see if anything happens:
    http://www.dto.ie/web2006/cyclepolicy.pdfM
    It's a worthless piece of fluff. The DTO has failed, in the past 10 years, implement its previous cycling strategy and there's no recognition of this sad fact in this useless document.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Daymo: What exactly surprises you about the length of the trips?

I think this is exactly the length of journey that the DTO should target (4-8km) because it's a distance that's too far to walk but easily in the range of any active adult on a bike without scaring them. Thats why cycling's so successful in towns like Cambridge, where all journeys fall into this sort of range.

At least that policy indicates that the DTO have the right idea. Hopefully there'll be concrete action upon it - maybe worth a few more letters!

Daymo: What exactly surprises you about the length of the trips?
    With all the talk about the ever expanding commuter belt, I was surprised that the trips to work/school were so short. With distances like those, I am surprised that more people aren't cycling. People have a surprisingly high tolerance for traffic congestion.

I had assumed that people were travelling further distances where cycling became less attractive and more for the 'hard core' types. For example, my 9 miles is a decent distance, and can take a lot of determination when doing it against the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

daymobrew wrote:
    With all the talk about the ever expanding commuter belt, I was surprised that the trips to work/school were so short. .
    I would say most of my mates live on average 5 miles from their jobs, I am the only one that cycles. Most drive. One factor you might be missing is the cost of a car. To have a car on the road for a year costs a fortune, in service, depreciation, tax, insurance etc. And that is not including petrol. So if these people have cars sitting at home all day, it can be seen as a waste of money. They know the roads are fairly unsuitable for bicycles, and have no facitilites in work like showers or bike sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fnord

Short trips contribute significantly to congestion. People 'just popping down to the shop' and so on, even when the shop is only a few hundred yards away, let alone a couple of miles. And then doing it again 10 minutes later because they forgot the 10 Silk Cut. Many drivers without bicycles have all but forgotten about walking outdoors.

*glances across the Atlantic*

As has been mentioned, people's tolerance for congestion is considerable and when they own a car they're going to use it. It takes a certain amount of will power to cycle when both modes are available, especially when the weather is unappealing. And you can never underestimate people's laziness and addiction to convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

It's nice to see that our dear leaders are taking this sort of issue seriously. I just had a look at Labour's Getting Dublin Moving policy document (PDF here). On the last page, under the heading "Other Measures" they list as an important measure, "Develop safe cross-city cycle routes".

That's about the only mention of cycling in the whole document. (In fairness, there is a mention of it in one of the graphs.) <weary sarcasm>Encouraging, isn't it?</weary sarcasm>

ruprect wrote:
    One factor you might be missing is the cost of a car. To have a car on the road for a year costs a fortune, in service, depreciation, tax, insurance etc. And that is not including petrol. So if these people have cars sitting at home all day, it can be seen as a waste of money.
    My car sits at home all day. It needs less service and less petrol and depreciates less because I don't use it. While there is a 'cost' even when I don't use it, my sanity is a lot better off because I don't drive. I don't have the same tolerance for congestion that regular drivers have.
    ruprect wrote:
    They know the roads are fairly unsuitable for bicycles, and have no facitilites in work like showers or bike sheds.
    IMO the lack of facilities at work is a factor. It is an important factor for me when I consider a new job! They are surely cheaper to provide than car parking spaces. I don't think the roads are that bad.

Advertisement