Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to BT....

Options
  • 24-11-2006 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

My folks are thinking of switching from our 2meg Eircom Broadband connection to a BT 3 meg connection. I've looked around and can't find fault with the offer.

Can anyone share some experience? how reliable are BT?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Other than whan you have to ring them it works just fine and has no hidden catches in the package .

For least hassle

1, Order online, ensure that you create a username on the site after your order, log in, and tick the boxes for online billing.

2, Make sure you have the eircom bill beside you and that every dot and comma is identical in the name and address

3, Further ensure that you have cancelled eircom bb and that the dsl light is off before you order. Then you should not have to contact them and all should go well.

4, You can transfer broadband with no loss of service but that requires talking to BT which is scary

If you now own the eircom dsl modem it simply requires a user@btbb and password and BT dns in the settings to work with bt instead of eircom

BT have fixed many of their recurring billing problems this year and generally get things right but their CS and recently their support is awful, simply awful. Their automated online ordering and billing works though .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Other than whan you have to ring them it works just fine and has no hidden catches in the package .

For least hassle

1, Order online, ensure that you create a username on the site after your order, log in, and tick the boxes for online billing.

2, Make sure you have the eircom bill beside you and that every dot and comma is identical in the name and address

3, Further ensure that you have cancelled eircom bb and that the dsl light is off before you order. Then you should not have to contact them and all should go well.

4, You can transfer broadband with no loss of service but that requires talking to BT which is scary

If you now own the eircom dsl modem it simply requires a user@btbb and password and BT dns in the settings to work with bt instead of eircom

BT have fixed many of their recurring billing problems this year and generally get things right but their CS and recently their support is awful, simply awful. Their automated online ordering and billing works though .

The last paragraph seems rather optimistic:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52387939&postcount=1http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52387939&postcount=1

Any mention of BT should carry both a mental and a financial health warning:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Butterbox

Switched over last October. Not happy.
    The 1Mb is about half the speed of Eircom's 1Mb regardless of time of day.
    They overcharged my first bill and to this day, despite promises, have failed to refund the amount. I am waiting until 9am to threaten legal action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cancel dd and use billpay.ie to pay them , they are in breach of contract for double billing and not refunding you .

as for speed, it could be the line rather than BT , what are your line stats (Db levels and stuff) ???

Its been WET since October has it not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 morningstars

"Switching to Bt....."

Don't

Not a very helpful reply, but it would be the nub of any tome I may write for you on this subject....

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I switched last October and have had no problems with service or speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Had the 2meg connection since last October and but for a few minor glitches to begin with( password changed on their part and having to ring and ring again to get it from them plus getting my initial billing explained) I can't complain about the service..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I switched last October and have had no problems with service or speed.

And there are people who drive every day and never have a traffic accident - doesn't mean there are no traffic accidents!

Advertisement