Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Little Issue

Options
  • 24-11-2006 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Assembled a new build last night (With a bit of help from you guys) but now when i get around to installing the OS the system keeps turning off.

Thought it was the install disk but now it shuts down when in the CMOS.

Had a look at the CPU temp (Core 2 Due 1.86) Starts at 70c and quickly rises to 107C before shutting down.

Am i right that that is too high and may be the reason for shutting down?

Thanks

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ok, open the pc back up, and check that the heatsink/fan is mounted properly (i assume you applied thermal paste) and if its a fan, check its connected to its spot on the mobo. boot the pc and see if the fan(if there is one) spins, if not, kill the power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Eh...yeah thats way too high!

Its shuting down to prevent damage. What thermal paste did you use? And how did you apply it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

The thermal paste came with the heat sink preapplied (At least the manual described it as heat conducting paste).

I didn't apply any thing else.

Sounds like i got it wrong !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I have just reinstalled the heat sink and i must have not had it seated correctly last time as the temp is steady at about 40c

Must stop drinking beer when doing things like this.

Cheers

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lol good one you could have blew ur cpu at them temps.:)

yes also drinks and building does not match

while drink and games now they go together like bread and butter.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The stock intel core2duo HSF seems to be quite crap when it comes to mounting it securely - the push-n-twist type things don't seem to work all that well - i had the same problem you had when building my E6600 rig. Once I got it securely locked in after sweating a bit its been fine :)
    I've had no such problems with socket A/939 type coolers in the past. Once those bastards are in they ain't coming out without a struggle ;)

Advertisement