Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - sort it out!

Options
  • 25-11-2006 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

It's so messy and easy to miss bargains,
    maybee a sub forum on aldi/lidl offers or a thread for alcohol, thread for dvd's etc.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sub forums have been suggested before, it wouldn't work imo. It would just create more work for the mods here with just having to move threads about all the time. There would be little point in having one thread for DVDs and it would be quickly buried with people adding new ones because of the amount of bargain DVDs, the ones posted at the start wouldn't be looked at. Subscribe to the forum, it moves very fast as bargains don't hang about forever. I like it the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Ruu wrote:
    Subscribe to the forum, it moves very fast as bargains don't hang about forever.

How much does it cost to subscribe? If there are any special subscription offers coming up will they be posted here? ;)

Forum Tools->Subscribe to Forum, so it will be in your Subbed List, easy access. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have this page as my start page, that is I have bookmarked http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346, not http://boards.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree with Ruu. It's fine as it is. It can often go very quiet for a few days anyway and there just isn't enough bargains around to warrant sub-forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

how about a sub forum for requests?

i hate it when i see a really inticing(sp?) thread title, then find out its a mislabled request thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

I think the sub forum for requests is good alright, but other than that, it would be like Ruu said. It would get waaaaayyyy too confusing

I think the majority of people are being better about the [REQUEST] or [REQ] tags on their posts or the mods get to them quick enough most of the time to help out. Its what Bargain Alerts is all about, you find a bargain and help others who are looking for one too.
    They just wouldn't get any attention in a subforum which would be unfair in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I agree about requests. Even when they are titled properly they still don't feel like they belong here. Should either have a separate forum or not be allowed at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

keep as is, its a pisser having to go through multiple forums, chances are requests are just as likely to lead to bargains being posted as new threads are

if anything, people should search the fourm before posting, the amount of double/treble+ threads on the same topic is much more annoying than anything else on boards and a lot of time folk only have to page back a few pages instead of searching e.g. HDTV, specific ALDI/LIDL special, cheap digital prints etc
    these double+ posts should be deleted straight away IMHO before too many posts collect

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I don't think request should be allowed. It's fine if someone finds a bargain and posts it here, but people who are looking for anything just post a request on here hoping that pother people will done the donkey work for them and find the bargain.
    I agree with the earlier poster either have a sub forum for them or don't allow request anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

no need for change
    the requests turn into bargains when people reply , so it works out the same as if the people replying had started a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's fine how it is.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The forum is good in its present layout. It may not be everyones cup of tea but it seems that some people are just plain lazy and want everything delivered to them on a plate

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You miss bargains? And what good exactly would subforums do.. you'd spend all your time bouncing from subforum to subforum?

The way it is right now is fine..

PS - should be in Feedback by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I'm glad this debate is happening, thanks to Passport for starting this thread.

Yes I agree this forum does need sorting out. The forum moves so quickly it's easy to miss a bargain, unless the page is open on my PC all day. The great thing is the forum needs changing because of it's popularity and success; it's a lot busier than before. There's so many people posting now that good bargains get pushed off the front page too quickly. Requests are making the problem worse; bargains get bumped off the front page quicker, and after all it is a bargain forum.
    I'd suggest having different categories of sub board for example CD & DVD, Computers & Electrical and Tickets/Coupons/Codes. It could be less work for moderators if they each took responsibility for one of the sub boards. The main board could stay as it is. I think people will read a sub board if they're looking for a particular kind of item like computers or DVDs. I would agree with the suggestion of having a requests sub board as well.

Something needs to be done because if steps are not taken to accommodate the growth of the forum it's popularity will decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

Fine how it is including requests, found some interesting stuff through the request threads as well, like any bargain, just check here often to get the best ones, no point in complicating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Like all bargains, they've a certain shelf-life (i.e til all stock of the bargain is exhausted / til they realise it's a misprice etc.).

No amount of subforums will solve this.. people who check the board often enough get the bargains listed.

If you're not here often enough, subscribe to the forum and flick through them in your e-mail inbox.. or use the RSS feed (though i don't think it's working right now, could be wrong!).

It's like this... we make subforums, people will either complain about the item was in the wrong subforum or it took a particular user too long to find the item. Myself and Ruu have enough of a time dealing with the flood of threads without having to deal with subforums to moderate as well.

Oh and i can't see the popularity of Bargain Alerts ever weaning.. despite how messy it gets!

PS - moved to Feedback.. you do realise by having this thread in Bargain Alerts a potential bargain was being pushed off the bottom of the first page? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Noelie wrote:
    I don't think request should be allowed. It's fine if someone finds a bargain and posts it here, but people who are looking for anything just post a request on here hoping that pother people will done the donkey work for them and find the bargain.

I have to disagree. I think that when people get some help here they will generally try and post a bargain they found in return. Don't answer requests if you don't want to do the dirty work.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

basquille wrote:
    PS - moved to Feedback.. you do realise by having this thread in Bargain Alerts a potential bargain was being pushed off the bottom of the first page? :D

Nice one!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

For what its worth, I like the current layout. Its popularity is hardly surprising, as you do find some great stuff there.

The [REQ]s are also a good source of bargains most of the time thanks to the useful replies they usually get.

Keep up the good work I say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's nice having the bargins on one page, so you don't have to look through loads of forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to be honest, there are not that huge amount of bargins that a simple sroll and search down 2 pages wont find.

all that adding another couple of forums would do is to ensure additional work for moderators, and people compleining bitterly when someone posts in the wrong forum.

on the other hand, there is no reason why there connot be a sticky for aldi/lidl/cheap ass shops, another for cds/dvds etc. but if there are so many bargins in these stores, they will be on the front page anyway.

Advertisement