Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chipped diesel ?

Options
  • 25-11-2006 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

A fella mentioned to me tonight on the subject of fuel consumption, mine a 2.7 merc engine in a Rodius getting about 22mpg,that you can get a diesel chipped in the same way that boy racers do, either to increase Hp or fuel consumption. I dont need more power, but an increase in mpg sounds attractive. My car is only 4 months old though and I'm sure a job like that would void the warrenty if discovered so probably not for me at the moment. Has anyone had their diesel chipped and was their a good improvement in fuel economy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mate of mine got his A4 1.9TDi 110bhp chipped recently up to about 135bhp. No improvement in mpg he reckons. Other guy I know has similar car but has the 130bhp version, non chipped, but has 6th gear and claims to get better mpg from the chipped one with only 5 gears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

I've had 2 new TDI's and had them both chipped. BHP improvement was fantastic lots of torque low down in the rev's made such a difference to the cars it was really like buying a new car. As for improved mpg's, i didnt really notice any thing, but it certainly didnt make it any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i think what dubtom is saying is...
    getting the car chipped to increase fuel consumption OR mpg, not both.
    increase power always goes with increased fuel consumption. what dubtom is suggesting is getting the the car chipped to decrease the power, increase the mpg. interesting thought dubtom.
    would the switch in some cars for economy vs performance be like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Well actually no I wouldn't want the power decreased. I believe that what used to be done to a carb to either make the mixture lean or rich had an effect on consumption, could the same be done via the computer now.Obviously most people get their yokes chipped to just increase it's grunt, increasing mpg is what I'd like without losing the bit of power the engine has,although it does have 160 so it's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

As far as I know, by increasing the power of the engine by chipping, you are making the whole car-engine system more power dense, i.e. higher power-to-weight ratio. This should translate into more power AND higher miles per gallon, in an ideal world. My only real experience is in the Mitsubishi Pajero, the 3.2 DiD engine is more powerful AND efficient than the old 2.5TD because of it's higher power-to-weight ratio and efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so you want the same power, but better fuel consumption? surely SsangYong would have done all they can already? maybe if you used the manual mode on the gearbox and change up sooner it might help consumption?

Re: Pajero 3.2 being more efficent - the gearing also helps. 2.5 engine is screaming at 70mph

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Re: Pajero 3.2 being more efficent - the gearing also helps. 2.5 engine is screaming at 70mph

Also being a common rail helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

chipping a diesel will certainly improve the mpg if you drive in the same fashion as before. the power increase, especially the torque, means you can change gear sooner and drive in a higher gear at lower revs. what usually happens though is that people give the car more wellie because its more powerful and so lose the out on the increased efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

greglo23 wrote:
    chipping a diesel will certainly improve the mpg if you drive in the same fashion as before. the power increase, especially the torque, means you can change gear sooner and drive in a higher gear at lower revs.

The power doesn't come for free though.

@OP: Are you sure there isn't a problem with the car? A dodgy sensor or emissions control system could play hell with the consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes 22mpg sounds very low even for urban driving. Maybe even trying a new air filter may help. Or is that being too simplistic?

• Advertisement

@OP: Are you sure there isn't a problem with the car? A dodgy sensor or emissions control system could play hell with the consumption.

Well 22 mpg is what the manual said I should expect and a recent calulation showed thats what I was getting. There is only 13 1/2 K on it and due it's first service soon so it may get better as the engine beds in (aparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the manual will always be optimistic, if you're getting what t claims, you're doing well!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

22 mpg sounds awful for a diesel. The Rodius is pig ugly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

where can you get a diesel chipped anyway. Im thinkin about chippin my Mk3 mondeo 2.0 TDdi. It currently has 115bhp and was wondering what sorta cost chipping would be

22 mpg sounds awful for a diesel. The Rodius is pig ugly too.
    Not according to 90% of my customers who ooh and ahh at it's various gadgets and comfort, not to mention it's gorgousness, if thats how you spell it.

Advertisement