Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can access broadband via RJ45 but not wireless

• 25-11-2006 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I really hope you can help.

My father (who is getting on on years and would love to be able to email grandkids around the world and that kind of thing) has connected to Gaelic Telecom's broadband service. I had an old ZyXel p-600 Wireless router hanging around the house and I brought it round and set it up for him.

The problem is a strange one to me so I hope I have just missed something obvious. I configured the wireless network as follows:
    Mode: Routing
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC
    VPI/VCI: 8/35

Wireless LAN Settings
    Network Name(SSID): Juice
    Channel Selection: 5
    Security: Disable wireless security

And yet I can't locate the wireless network when I go searching for it. I am connected to the router right now via an RJ45 cable as I type this but the wireless just isn't working. The WLAN light is fully lit up on the router.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Is it a laptop/desktop that you are connecting wirelessly?
    if laptop is the wireless turned on on the laptop, some laptops with built-in wireless have this turned off by default?
    Did the wireless work before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Is it a laptop/desktop that you are connecting wirelessly?
    if laptop is the wireless turned on on the laptop, some laptops with built-in wireless have this turned off by default?
    Did the wireless work before?

Another thing to look at is is the SSID set to broadcast or is it hidden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Good tip on the SSID. Will check that one out.

Its a laptop that has wireless turned on.

Advertisement