Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBC game

Options
  • 25-11-2006 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

just for anyone interested in this sort of thing, MBCGame one of the korean pro-gaming channels is now availible live, on-line for free at

http://www.mbcgame.co.kr/VOD/Live_player.asp#

not sure how long this will continue, and needless to say you need broadband to watch it. It was put up mainly to accomodate overseas WC3 fans I believe.

Off course it's all in korean and the time difference and lack of information makes it hard to know when to watch stuff.. but usually the forums at teamliquid.net and wcreplays.com tend to have info on up coming matches and tournaments.

6:30pm korean time is like 10:30 am over here, so that's usually a good time to check out whatever is showing.

p.s. korean adds are teh funny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Starcraft is on now ( quite alot I imagine) and the sheer speed they do things at amazes me, I know I wont be going pro anytime soon. Good link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ya star craft is probably the most "skilled" game, more so than FPS's in my opinion. Some of these guys hit APMs (actions per minute) of 300-400, which is insane. To actually be hitting your keyboard and mouse at that speed and for a coherent strategy to emerge from it.

Some korean scientist actually did tests. He took a pro-gramer and a casual/amuteur player and recorded their brain activity while playing starcraft. What he found was that the pro-gamer was mostly using the part of his brain responsible for reflexes where was the casual player was "thinking" more.

practise makes perfect I guess.

and yes, starcraft is huge over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Memnoch wrote:
    ya star craft is probably the most "skilled" game, more so than FPS's in my opinion. Some of these guys hit APMs (actions per minute) of 300-400, which is insane. To actually be hitting your keyboard and mouse at that speed and for a coherent strategy to emerge from it.

Jesus h. christ, I assume that's orders and attacks and what not? That's pretty crazy.

I think APM includes "selecting " a unit as well, but even counting that to do it 300-400 times a minute is hard even if your just click spamming on one thing. But to actually maintain that for a 20-60 minute long game is just NUTS.

But if you watch a first person VOD of the very top pro-gamers you can see just how really insane their skills are...

ppl like Saviour, Nal_ra, Nada, or Slayers_boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Memnoch wrote:
    ppl like Saviour, Nal_ra, Nada, or Slayers_boxer.
    Just a quick lil' thought of mine, but -- referring to "pro" players by their gamer tags, instead of their full names -- could this be one of the obstacles to help it garner recognition?
    Or will people eventually settle on it, in the same way as, for example, soccer players get called by their nicknames?

Just random food for thought...

• Advertisement

well in Korea they use the real names, like in any other sport. You can hear the commentators call em out some times. Unfortuantely the real names are rarely written and aren't called out. In Europe pro-gaming they still tend to use nicks. I guess using real names is probably better in the long run but will take time to catch on.

I know Nal_Ra's name is Kang Min

Boxer is Lim something. Don't know any others unfortuantely even thoguh I follow the SC scene quite extensively.

Advertisement