Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does every Dublin restaurant have award plaques on the door?

• 25-11-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

My friend and I were wondering why the fsck just about every restaurant in Dublin city centre has award plaques outside the door? To me, in such quantity, they mean NOTHING. There must be ten or twenty companies that award these plaques, and curiously the food in these places is mediocre to be polite!

Do these plaques carry any weight with YOU?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

eth0_ wrote:
    My friend and I were wondering why the fsck just about every restaurant in Dublin city centre has award plaques outside the door? To me, in such quantity, they mean NOTHING. There must be ten or twenty companies that award these plaques, and curiously the food in these places is mediocre to be polite!

Do these plaques carry any weight with YOU?
    a Michelin one would carry weight with me but most of them would`nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If a restaurant's food is nice, I'll go back. Not because of some stupid plaque!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness, most of those plaques mean diddly squat. Often as well, they're years old with few recent ones.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

county wrote:
    a Michelin one would carry weight with me

That's the only one I would also go on.
    Any other restaurant would be word of mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I work in a pub and we only do lunches. We got a call a couple of months ago to be in a guide book and get same plaque. The price was E600, needless to say we didnt purchase one! But it got me to thinking how many other plaques out there are actually based on merit or bought! Michelin is the only one i would take notice off, but hey the places with those plaques are usually quite expensive...but good! Dont believe everything you read, hear, or see.........Only believe in taste!!! LOL:D

Have you seen the James Joyce Recommended Plaques in pubs? There are a few pubs near me(South Dublin) that have them. They are purely bought. I could have bought one for my living room. Waste of bronze and wall space, pure tat and mean absolutey diddly squat!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

They must eat sugary food and not use good toothpaste.

Advertisement