Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Statoil on Usher's quay prices

Options
  • 25-11-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

This would be my nearest petrol station but I never go near the place. Why?
    For nearly six months the price of a litre of petrol has been fixed at 135.9c!

Does anyone know why this petrol station is always the most expensive in Dublin? Why do their prices very rarely change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Get a Benchmark fuel card and you can buy there at 100.8 this week!

http://www.motorcard.ie/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

that Benchmark card has been great for me for the past few months, saved a good bit of money with it, but in the past few weeks the local petrol stations have actually been cheaper than the card. They're all at 99.5-99.9 here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

eth0_ wrote:
    This would be my nearest petrol station but I never go near the place. Why?
    For nearly six months the price of a litre of petrol has been fixed at 135.9c!

Does anyone know why this petrol station is always the most expensive in Dublin? Why do their prices very rarely change?
    ppl actually pay that!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

cjt156 wrote:

You're missing my point, i'm wondering if anyone knows WHY they can charge those prices?
    Personally I get petrol at Applegreen or the maxol in harolds cross, always cheapest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They charge that price because they can.

Coming out of the city, it's the last petrol station you'll meet on the N4 before you get to Palmerstown, and it's one of the rare stations that are actually *in* the city centre.

They'd probably site high location costs or some other bull**** as the reason for the extortionate petrol prices.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    You're missing my point, i'm wondering if anyone knows WHY they can charge those prices?
    Personally I get petrol at Applegreen or the maxol in harolds cross, always cheapest for me.

Why they can? They could sell it for twice that if they wanted. Doesn't mean they would get any customers but they are free to charge what they like.

Their station is in a very central loctation, a place where the property values are prohibitively expensive so I would imagine the high fuel cost is to offset their rent or outstanding loans.

And being one of the only city centre stations I'm sure there is a bit of price gouging going on. But they are still there and still charging high prices so people must be buying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eth0_ wrote:
    WHY they can charge those prices?
    Because there must be enough suckers out there who are willing to pay that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seamus wrote:
    They charge that price because they can.

Coming out of the city, it's the last petrol station you'll meet on the N4 before you get to Palmerstown, and it's one of the rare stations that are actually *in* the city centre.

They'd probably site high location costs or some other bull**** as the reason for the extortionate petrol prices.

While 135c is a shockingly high price, they could well be paying 3/4 times the rent of a suburban garage,so have to make it back. As has been pointed out, its the only city cetre garage and convenience comes at a price. It's the same as buying a 500ml bottle of coke in spar (€1.40 ish) and Tesco (€.95 ish).

Convenience stores cost more, such is life.

On another note, I just signed up for the benchmark card, yay.
    If you get the discounted price in the statoil onm the quays, are the suppliers making up the difference to the garage owner? Or is it a case of tough luck mr garage owner, you have to accept the lower price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Going back a couple of years, that garage used to be one of the most competitive, with queues into it from the quays...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

It's the same gag as the one near the Skylon in Drumcondra, which is the last station before the airport so if you have hired a car you must fill it here. When tourists hire a car in town they will generally head out towards the M50 along the quays. If they sell only 50 litres at 1.35,(1 car) with margin of 40c per litre, they make the same as a garage that sells 400 litres (8 cars) at 1.00e per litre. They will have less tanker deliveries also. However, they will not make any money from the sale of snacks and impulse items as they don't attract the motorist in the first place.

They obviously know what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

eth0_ wrote:

No, I got your point; I just didn't address it. ;)

As has been said; if a mug is prepared to pay an inflated price, somebody will oblige him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

cjt156 wrote:

Never knew of this card :) thanks for the link!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Texaco in Drumcondra and possibly the statoil on the quays are franchisees and are being sold their petrol at very high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ciarsd wrote:
    Going back a couple of years, that garage used to be one of the most competitive, with queues into it from the quays...
    Competitive? The Usher's Quay garage was the cheapest in Ireland about 3 years ago before most of the surrounding garages in a three-mile radius closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eth0_ wrote:
    i'm wondering if anyone knows WHY they can charge those prices?

Most people haven't a clue how much fuel is per liter. They just get €20 worth (used to be £10)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

a fool and his money are easily parted it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

the convenience store gets plenty of business from pedestrians from the surrounding flats. If you buy petrol there at night you have to queue up behind a line of people buying skins and chewing gum.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    Most people haven't a clue how much fuel is per liter. They just get €20 worth (used to be £10)
    I tend to get 20 or 30 quids worth also - that way the price of petrol never goes up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kbannon wrote:
    I tend to get 20 or 30 quids worth also - that way the price of petrol never goes up :D

Genius. :)

wyndham wrote:
    It's the same gag as the one near the Skylon in Drumcondra.....
    ........They obviously know what they are doing.
    That Texaco station in Drumcondra is closed. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My mother is one of the "€20 of petrol" every time people, yet she still gives out about having to go to the pumps more often :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Cafe en Sienne of petrol stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I wouldn't mind, the shop in that statoil is an awful kip. Dirty, filthy place. Most petrol stations make very little profit on petrol and it's the shops where the money is made, the petrol is just really to drag people in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

That Texaco station in Drumcondra is closed. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the same reason that all the other petrol stations in and around town have closed. ie The real estate value is far greater than any amount that could be made by selling petrol.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kbannon wrote:

Didn't know you were blond! :D

Not your ornery onager

Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash
    That Texaco station in Drumcondra is closed. I wonder why?
    wyndham wrote:
    Perhaps the same reason that all the other petrol stations in and around town have closed. ie The real estate value is far greater than any amount that could be made by selling petrol.:rolleyes:
    The car dealership is still operating AFAIK, just the pumps have closed. (I'm open to correction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The car dealership is still operating AFAIK, just the pumps have closed. (I'm open to correction).

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

afaik, alot of petrol prices are based on amount of competition in the area etc...given that there is not really any nearby, this will drive the price up, and id imagine the rent is significantly higher for them too.
    bought petrol there once, was dangerously low and didnt want to cut out on the quays, so i got €10 just to get me to the next garage with slightly more sane prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I dunno but anyone else, but when I'm in the car, my commute route through the city, passes very few garages, that Statoil is one of them, but I'd very rarely stop there, as any delay on route even 5 mins for fuel usually means getting caught in traffic that can add 20-30mins to the same journey. But I have noticed that there are very few places to fill up around town, and even less than aren't a complete pain in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

doesnt the people who own that petrol stattion also own the carpark behind it...bet when the tax breakson car parks end you will see apartments go up there.

Advertisement