Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?

• 25-11-2006 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a health shop or supermarket that sells Virgin Coconut Oil (hopefully pure organic)?

I'd be much obliged for any help. Thanks!

cozmik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bridan

Hey Cosmik,
    It's been a while since you posted this, did you ever get an answer? or can anyone else help. I would be interested to know.
    Also if there is not a store in Ireland selling virgin coconut oil, has anyone bought online, if so where?.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EddyEddie

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

can you clarify how to distinguish between virgin, extra-virgin and non-virgin coconut oil? I know the distinction for olives, and it makes sense for olive oil, what about coconut oil?

I think the same rule applies with coconut oil.
    Virgin coconut oil, like any virgin oil, is from the first cold pressing. It is the least-processed form of the oil. Later pressings require heat and/or chemicals to get the oil out and are therefore less healthy.
    But these <snip> are still better than any artificial products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

EddyEddie wrote: »
    I think the same rule applies with coconut oil.
    Virgin coconut oil, like any virgin oil, is from the first cold pressing. It is the least-processed form of the oil. Later pressings require heat and/or chemicals to get the oil out and are therefore less healthy.

Sure, and what about extra-virgin? With olive oil the extra-virgin-ity depends on many things, mainly the acidity content (less than 0.8%), how the olives are picked and stored, does the same applied to coconuts or it is just a word to sell more expensive coconut oil?

Some retailers and manufacturers of Virgin Coconut Oils call their coconut oil "Extra Virgin Coconut Oil." This classification is simply arbitrary. There is no official classification or difference between "virgin" and "extra virgin" as there is in the olive oil industry, since the two oils are completely different in fatty acid composition, harvesting procedures, and terminology.
    Google it and you can find out more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement