Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bit of a dilema

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's the Mazda MZR engine, and according to random googling the 2.3 litre version uses a chain. Dunno about the 1.8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

get them to have a full nct on it, get a panel beater to look at it, mechanics only know about engines, panel beaters have to know about everything

........thats a wild bit of generalising there !!

Whilst there is a chasm between both a decent mechanic would know a lot about a car body and certainly how to check for crash damage, which is what is suggested here. A panel beater wouldn't know much about mechanical work, save for stripping parts and reassembley, but decent bodyshops generally have a mechanic to ensure things are fitted correctly when it comes to mechanical parts. I certainly would not agree that "panel beaters have to know about everything"..........they dont have to
    and they generally DONT !

I think you got a good price, I would go for it if you like the car, but just ensure that it hasn't been laid up for a few months as this could give you niggly faults !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's the Mazda MZR engine, and according to random googling the 2.3 litre version uses a chain. Dunno about the 1.8 though.

Yes it has a chain too. Good to see more manufacturers moving away from belts

@bazz: here are the workshop manuals for ya :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheers guys for all the feedback.

After some careful thinking it over for most of the week I have decided to stick with the Avensis for another year at least. My current car should pass the NCT in April without bother as it is running perfectly.

This time next year I will look in the piggy bank and see about trading up to something a bit newer. For now moving house is our main priority.

Regarding the timing belt, you are correct that it is a timing chain, I rang another Mazda dealer this morning who confirmed this. It's doesn't inspire me with confidence when the dealer I rang earlier in the week told me it was a belt. :mad:

Thanks again for all the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Yes it has a chain too. Good to see more manufacturers moving away from belts

@bazz: here are the workshop manuals for ya :cool:

Very handy indeed, thanks Unkel. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement