Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy board, PRSI Number.

Options
  • 25-11-2006 4:58pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I live in an apartment with two other people. The Estate agents rang up and asked for the three of us to come down and give our three PRSI numbers so that they could give it to the landlord as he needed them to fill out a form to the Tenancy board.
    Is this true, you need the PRSI numbers for this?
    And also, what can people find out about you from your PRSI number(do you work or not, how much you get etc?) and why is it needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, its needed.

In theory, they could phone up the Revenue and do all sorts. Revenue aren´t very strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No, it is not needed.

The oasis.gov.ie article is largely incorrect. The information on the PRTB website is also incorrect. Indeed following the advice to landlords about PPS numbers (http://www.prtb.ie/ppsn.htm) could well cost a landlord a trip to the Equality Tribunal and up to a EUR 5000 compensation bill. It is simply not a legal requirement to have a PPSN to live in Ireland.

The only things required for registration are those described in section 136 of the 2004 act:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA27Y2004S136.html

It is also not a requirement that the resident provide the PPS number, although it is a requirement that the landlord make reasonable inquiry.

It is not a requirement that the tenant sign the registration form. The tenant is not registering anything, the landlord is. As such, there is no need to call down to the office of the agent.

In terms of practicalities, I have indeed filed a PRTB registration which was accepted without the information above (I noted in the margin that signatures were not required and that reasonable inquiries had been made about the PPSN's).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks. :)

The reason to call down is not to sign anything, just to give our numbers.
    Why I am perturbed b y that is that it is a requirement that you be working to live where I live. Since moving there I no longer have a job, for several months now. I have no problem paying rent or anything but they are quite strict about this, I am told...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why would you need to call down to give your number, you could do that by email or over the phone.

You could just tell them that you are too busy to go down there during working hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah yeah, I was away in Dublin at the time so I have not called down, and they have many reasons to believe I'm working, without any proof. I could ring or email, or just give them with the rent on the first.

Advertisement