Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels earn unwanted 3 in a row.

• 25-11-2006 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

From this morning's Irish Times:

Revenue again seeks to wind up Shelbourne FC

Áine Coffey

The Revenue has petitioned to wind up Shelbourne FC for the third time this year over outstanding tax liabilities.

Revenue filed the winding-up petition last Wednesday and the case is scheduled to be heard in the High Court next month.

Earlier Revenue petitions were filed in March and in August this year to shut down the League of Ireland's most successful football club and recently-crowned league champions. On both those occasions, Shelbourne came to an arrangement to pay the monies due before the scheduled court hearings.

The previous Revenue petitions were against Accolade, a holding company behind Shelbourne, but the latest is against another corporate entity, Shelbourne FC, through which the club pays wages.

Ollie Byrne, chief executive and owner of Shelbourne, said that the outstanding tax would be paid in the next few days. "Don't worry about that, it will be sorted," he said.

"I will have paid nearly €1 million in taxes in a year. I will be the most up-to-date person in the history of football."

Mr Byrne said the Revenue is seeking payment of about €100,000 in "current taxes", as distinct from tax arrears.

He said that Shelbourne paid €104,000 to the Revenue last November/December in back-tax, another €300,000 earlier this year and €120,000 in October this year.

The March winding-up petition was dropped after Revenue and Shelbourne agreed a schedule of payments, but the Revenue returned to the High Court in August after Shelbourne defaulted.

"They wanted us to do it their way, which was not practical," Mr Byrne said. "You agree to get them off your back."

Have to wonder what the revenue will make of Ollies little statement at the end, cant see them accepting any sort of weekly payment scheme. When he has just admitted lying to them.

3 Wind up orders in one season......yes it truly has been a magnificent season for the EL....

Well done Shels.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"The cheque's in the post" While I do feel some sort of sympathy for them and hope it doesn't get too serious I can't help but wonder would Byrne be demanding penalties in the form of league points were it happending to another club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Collie D wrote:
    "The cheque's in the post" While I do feel some sort of sympathy for them and hope it doesn't get too serious I can't help but wonder would Byrne be demanding penalties in the form of league points were it happending to another club

I dont Rovers were relegated for lyin g and cheating on their licence application, something Shels have proved they also did, they should be punbished accordingly as Ollie once said "Rules are Rules"

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

True but sad state of affairs for national champions, **** it I always hated Shels anyway ;o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I have family who work for revenue and asked them a couple of questions about how Shelbourne got their tax clearence cert. They said it isnt very hard to get a tax cert, unless your books are completely messed up. They also said the schedule of repayments would have been offered by revenue. Missing a payment was serious and just gave revenue more amuntion to shut the club down. The real danager with winding up orders is that the debtors can demand their monies.

"there way was not practical"

considering he wanted a tax amensty for EL clubs. In all fairness everyone has to pay tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i wonder does ollie pay tax on the sales of cigs and alcohol in the bar in tolka. i know of some companies that use spare cash register to avoid tax but im not saying shels do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement