Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What stuff does a computer need to get broadband?

Options
  • 25-11-2006 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me what hardware and software a computer requires before it can be compatible with broadband. I don't know much about computers but I've read that a network card and a USB port is necessary. Is a modem needed for broadband or is that only necessary for dial up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You will get a router for your broadband, the ISP normally will have one with the service you choose. Ethernet port (your network card port) or a USB port are needed for the router to connect to (you can do it either way I believe). A bit of reading for you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You need

A network card or a USB port. Most computers now have this

The company supplying the broadband will give you the software hardware and instructions

Apart from that all you need is a browser Internet Explorer or Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

is_that_so wrote:
    You need

A network card or a USB port. Most computers now have this

The company supplying the broadband will give you the software hardware and instructions

Apart from that all you need is a browser Internet Explorer or Firefox

Working phone line is also handy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need to also be in an area that actually has broadband. It can come via Radio waves & Aerial, cable TV or phone line.

There are various different wireless systems that vary from no better than dialup to as good as any other broadband.

An Ethernet port (wider than a phone connector, but similar) is preferable to USB.

Often newer laptops have WiFi wireless. Either a WiFi base unit (€40), Modem with WiFi built in or a Router with WiFi is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I'm in NI and from what I gather BT do a rather mediocre broadband connection for everywhere up here now. So I should be able to get it.

How much is the going rate for a browser now? And which is preferable Internet Explorer or Firefox? Is it possible to buy this software on the cheap second hand, like on ebay?:confused:

Ps, does a browser come as part of Windows XP Pro or Home versions?

• Advertisement

MT wrote:

How much is the going rate for a browser now? And which is preferable Internet Explorer or Firefox? Is it possible to buy this software on the cheap second hand, like on ebay?:confused:

Browsers are free . You should have Internet Explorer already on the computer.

dogpile wrote:
    Working phone line is also handy ;)

We live in hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

MT wrote:
    I'm in NI and from what I gather BT do a rather mediocre broadband connection for everywhere up here now. So I should be able to get it.

Ps, does a browser come as part of Windows XP Pro or Home versions?

As mentioned Internet Explorer should be on your desktop, if you want an alternative, you can download Firefox here. They are free of charge.

Internet Explorer is on this computer I'm using now but I'm going to buy another one - a second hand one on ebay. So, I'm wondering will a browser come as part of the OS or Windows XP on this 'new' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

MT wrote:
    Internet Explorer is on this computer I'm using now but I'm going to buy another one - a second hand one on ebay. So, I'm wondering will a browser come as part of the OS or Windows XP on this 'new' one.
    Internet Explorer is part of every variety of Windows so it'll be on whatever computer you buy.:)

• Advertisement

Ahhh right, don't I like stupid? :o

Advertisement