Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing tyres for Peugeot 206 + Wheel Alignment

Options
  • 25-11-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I have a Peugeot 206 which i used to drive 180 kms per day for going to work. Now the left front tyre's thread inside is showing out. Also it is worn out much compared to other tyres.

What could be the problem. Is it because of bad wheel alignment? Would a tyre replacing centre do wheel alignment also?

Which company has the best tyres in Ireland? How much would it cost including labor charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm not sure where you are, but Advance Tyres in Townsend St in the city centre do 4 wheel alignment. If I were you I'd give them a call and book the car in ASAP. I wouldn't drive the car in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks for the info "Anan1". Problem is I am in india now for a software project and would only come back after X'Mas. So have to seek the help of my friend who informed me about the same.

I am more worried about the wheel balancing problem, if any. Would it be a possible culprit as the other 3 tyres doesnt have this much wear and tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Hi IT,

It's not a big job really. Has happened at one stage or another to everyone I know. Usually just caused by hitting potholes / kerbs or driving regularly on bad roads.

I had the same problem with my Saxo. Hit a kerb a bit rough when parking and 100 miles later noticed unusually high wear on the inside of the front left tyre.

Assuming nothing in the suspension assembley is bent/ broken you'll have to replace the two front tyres (mine were 165/65/14's - your 206 probably rolls on the exact same) and have the car aligned.

Two front tyres = Eur120 for two Pirelli P6000's (could get cheaper brands but don't put ****e on your car, also I like to keep the same type of tyre on all four corners). Alignment cost an extra 20, so Eur140 altogether which is not too bad. 10k miles later no problems. Generally speaking labour is included in the price quoted for the tyres + alignment.

Any decent tyre centre does alignment (Advance, etc), and should also have a good selection of tyres. Exect brand isn't critical as long as it's something recognised (Goodyear, Bridgestone, Perilli or Dunlop are all decent). Alignment on its own usually costs Eur50 I'm told but get them to knock it down if you're buying the tyres from them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

unless the track rod end is damaged,

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The front left tyre of all (front wheel drive) cars wares out quicker due to round abouts. It does the most travel and is under the greatest strain.

If the thread is showing don't drive put the spare on and bring straight any tyre centre and they'll replace it. Get the alignemnt checked aswell, but you mustn't have paid much attention to your car if the thread is showing. At 180k's a days thats huge distance to be travelling without doing basic checks on your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 froggy27

Hi guys, from Mombasa, Kenya. I have a 206 and was amazed that a month after putting on new tyres they were nearly bald on the outside, I had done the alignment on them when i put them on. So I went back to them to do the alignment after swapping them around (ie left side onto right and vice versa), and 3 weeks later the left side tyre was completely bald. I now suspected the mechanics had not done it as per the manufacturers settings so i took it to another alignment place and the left side was wrong. Over here we have absolutely horiffic roads, as a result i have had to change both front shock absorbers and suspension arms, not replacing them with original Peugeot parts but another heavy-duty brand. Can these parts affect the wheel alignment, and if so, could it be possible the equipment at the alignment places do not read this???? Your contributions would be much appreciated.

Advertisement