Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity People

Options
  • 25-11-2006 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Is anybody here getting annoyed at the amount of people asking for money, not the people just shaking a bucket but the people who literally approach you and in many cases make a beelien for you, If i want to give you my money i will, i already throw money into the charity boxs at work or in shops etc. How do you feel about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

The subject of chuggers comes up every 4 months here. Effing nuisance they are. I just walk past, ignoring them.

If they manage to stop me I ask for their phone number, "I have to go now but give me your digits and I'll ring you later tonight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You'll always get an increase of charity workers at Christmas, they can really bleed the "Goodwill to all men" stone for all it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Theres one guy in town that really gets on my tits.Id love to tell him where to go but he looks like a right scumbag so best not to .He is one ignorant fvcker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The only ones I give to on the street are either the Fire Brigade or the Salvation Army.

The rest are just chuggers on a commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The worst ones are te ones forcing you to donate money. I had a Polish woman insisting that I donate and not letting me go.. In the end I had to tell her to piss off. Usually I'm nice about it, but this one was so forceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hehe. I was walking down Shop street one day recently and watched a chugger approach a woman. He said "Hello! How are you today?". She said "F*ck off" and kept walking. Yer man cheerfully replied "OK! No need to be rude! Have a nice day!".

Classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Whats worse is when you say no politely they still try and convince you to donate, Ken its not that its getting more obvious now because it was like this all year round now not just in the run up to xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Was asked recently to support diabetes. Told collector that I preferred not to as it wasn't a pleasant condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

Steyr wrote:
    Is anybody here getting annoyed at the amount of people asking for money, not the people just shaking a bucket but the people who literally approach you and in many cases make a beelien for you, If i want to give you my money i will, i already throw money into the charity boxs at work or in shops etc. How do you feel about them?

they annoy the **** out of me.... I can see the feckers in their bright yellow and orange bibs, if I want to give them money I'll go over to them. I'm just blatantly rude to them these days otherwise you'll have them following you up shop street. I just give them a look and say, "dont even think about it" - I already do a monthly direst debit for charity and always put my change in the poor box in shops etc.... what pisses me off even more is 90% of them are getting PAID for it... get a real job fer f*ck sake

They were dirty bástards today... walked down shop street twice. WAs asked 5 times! In the end, I just pretended like I was on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

cornbb wrote:
    Hehe. I was walking down Shop street one day recently and watched a chugger approach a woman. He said "Hello! How are you today?". She said "F*ck off" and kept walking. Yer man cheerfully replied "OK! No need to be rude! Have a nice day!".

Classic :D

the guy probably says that same line 50 times a day. i suppose you have to be resiliant when people dont want to talk to you... alll.... day ... long

RHG i had to use my MP3 today and kinda look at the ground when i saw them approach me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

trhe oul i-pod etc. is def the best approach,i got big earphones and just stick on soundgarden up as load as i can and look straight ahead, works the best i think!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

ddea wrote:
    Was asked recently to support diabetes. Told collector that I preferred not to as it wasn't a pleasant condition.
    BWAHAHAHHHAHAHA

You sir are a genius!

There's one Concern collecter who now knows me because everytime I walk past him, even if he doesn't look at me, I start singing the cantina tune from star wars... Boo be boo be boo be boo ba ba ba ba ba ba baa baa.

He laughes and calls me a crazy foo'!

Oh ffs there is like 30 of them on Shop st today ( 12-12-06 ) ! UGH .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I remember once I was talking to one of those commission fúckers:

Her: Look at this little boy. He hasn't eaten in three days.
    Me: Yeah, that's a real shame.
    Her: What would you do in that situation?
    Me: Eat.
    Her: No, if you saw him in that situation.
    Me: Eat him.
    Her: No, not if YOU were in that situation and saw him, if you saw HIM in that situation.
    Me: I'd give him food.
    Her: What if he doesn't like it?
    Me: Beggars can't be choosers.
    Her: No, I mean, what about money?
    Me: Yeah, sure, I'd give him enough money to buy a sandwhich.
    Her: Exactly, so why don't you donate €12 a month to us?
    Me: I'd rather not. Tell you what, if I ever see him, I'll give him a tenner.

And I walked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

headphones & avoiding eye contact is the only way to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Strange, I haven't been heckled once, then again I have angry body language when I walk through shop street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I hate those feckers, i get hassled everyday, now i just walk close behind someone, then when the hecklers attack the person infront of me i slip to the side and walk past :) Always works :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Isn't there some ordnance on the books about public nuisance or disturbing the peace? If not why not? The sign wielders are almost as bad mind you, I had to negotiate a cordon of them the last day. I ended up just bulling through the useless unemployables! (no disrespect to anyone here)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

At one time, I would just mutter some Russian phrase like 'I don't speak English'. That doesn't really work today though in this multi-cultural society of ours.

I had to brush them off today when trying to get down Shop Street. At least three collectors approximately 3 m away from each other outside O'Brien's at one stage.

Just to cap it all off, a bird pooed on me. It was a good excuse to buy a new top!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

between collectors during the day and beggars at night, i just ignore them any more,there's plenty of other ways to donate money if i feel like it.
    last night, a rather persistant Romanian girl kept hassling us for money, we kept asking her for some instead, she eventually told us to f**k off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Saw one of those chuggers on shop street stop a woman in an electric wheelchair, the woman told the chugger that she didn't have time to talk, she started to move off and the chugger stood infront of her and blocked her in, the poor woman looked so distressed. I couldn't believe what i saw, i went up to the lady to see if she was ok, i told the chugger to politely F*uk off. I can't understand how they can justify blocking someone in so the can't get away espically someone who has an obvious disability.:mad:
    I also saw a chugger chase a girl down shop street, she had to run into Boots to get away from him.

Saw one of those chuggers on shop street stop a woman in an electric wheelchair, the woman told the chugger that she didn't have time to talk, she started to move off and the chugger stood infront of her and blocked her in, the poor woman looked so distressed. I couldn't believe what i saw, i went up to the lady to see if she was ok, i told the chugger to politely F*uk off. I can't understand how they can justify blocking someone in so the can't get away espically someone who has an obvious disability.:mad:
    I also saw a chugger chase a girl down shop street, she had to run into Boots to get away from him.

I wonder is that the same "yoke" id love to punch.I would in this case have no problem in punching a girl,she is a real mingin fvck ,chuggin in the bright orange jacket outside lynches castle.She bounces out in front of people blocking their way and starts to wave her hands so they cant pass.She kind of looks fvcked in the head herself, i wonder is she??????? Might ask the next time she tries her ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

The ones that jump in front of you are so annoying. I spent a long time not saying one word to them just stay walking past .

When the jump in front with the hand out for a handshake, I respond. Only to very cooly rub my hand through my hair at the last moment!

Or alternatively "thumb on the nose and waggle fingers" face!

padi89 wrote:
    I wonder is that the same "yoke" id love to punch.I would in this case have no problem in punching a girl,she is a real mingin fvck ,chuggin in the bright orange jacket outside lynches castle.She bounces out in front of people blocking their way and starts to wave her hands so they cant pass.She kind of looks fvcked in the head herself, i wonder is she??????? Might ask the next time she tries her ****e!

Is she the one with the kinda blonde/hint of red hair thats straight and just down past her ears? She wears a big high viz jacket twice her size?

Steyr wrote:
    Is she the one with the kinda blonde/hint of red hair thats straight and just down past her ears? She wears a big high viz jacket twice her size?

She is a fat stubby little yoke,a really round strange ugly face(reminds me of some aphex twin video or pic),cant miss her.
    Something like this........
    aphextwin_1.jpg

With a high viz orange jacket!!!!!!!!!!

I have a multitude of excuses...

I'm only 17.
    I've been drinking (can't legally talk to you if you've been drinking)
    Garble in some foreign language (made up or not)
    etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm only 17.
    I remember trying to use that as an excuse once, leading to her ignoring what I said and asking for my bank account.

Advertisement