Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sony vaio hard drive problem?

• 25-11-2006 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Just got a new sony vaio with 100GB hard drive. I excitedly went to transfer about 40Gb worth of files from my desktop over and towards the end i got an error message up to say it had run out of hard drive! When i looked in my computer, I saw that there was actually two local hard drives: C and D, My Docs/My music etc seems to be stored on C and it's about 40MB in size and when I click on the D drive it has a folder called 'Vaio entertainment' and it's about 37GB in size. Is there any way I can make them into one drive, because my 'My Docs' folder is two big to fit on the C drive, and I don't want to have to have half my stuff in C and have to have the rest in D, as it would be pretty annoying having to remember which stuff was where and all the rest! Is this common (i.e. to have the hard drive split like this)? I'm only used to ever seeing the one local hard drive, hence the confusion!

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Make a backup Recovery DVD.
    Insert DVD and bootup. Advanced recovery. Choose option to wipe all and make 1 partition. Alternatively, use Partition Magic("Tragic") to delete the D: partition, and Recovery partition. At any rate, make a backup copy of the recovery partition. Make several copies even.

It is common to see HDD config. like this. Especially on VAIO's as the Sony software will separate settings from files in their software - so you can recover the C: partition without losing much/any data. It also allows one to reduce fragmentation and keep their system healthy.
    It makes a lot of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks a million for that, sounds a bit complicated but i'll see how it goes. at least i know it's not unusual and that i didn't get a dodgy lappy! :)

thanks again for getting back so quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Easiest solution (But may take a bit of time):
    1. Make the backup Recovery DVD
    2. Boot from DVD
    3. Follow on-screen instructions to select (Advanced) option to remove partitions (It's actually quite straight-forward, or at least it used to be.)
    -> This will wipe everything from the HDD and re-install Windows + slected software. You then have to copy things back over to C: .
    Nice 'n' 'andy, guvna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

thank you (again) :)

Advertisement