Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest 60 hertz capable 20 inch tv?

• 25-11-2006 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting an xbox 360 soon but I think Id need a new tv cos mine isnt 60 hertz capable.

Whats the cheapest 60 hertz capable 20 inch tv I could get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

How much would a 20 inch crt ntsc compatible tv cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Depending on brand, you should be able to pick yourself up one for roughly €150 - €200

Most now can display NTSC images

If you're getting a PAL XB360, you wouldn't need an NTSC tv

You don't need a 60hz TV for a pal XB360 either!

You would indeed imagine that you wouldnt need an ntsc compatible tv to play a pal xbox 360 but Ive heard that gears of war and a lot of games like dead or alive 4 and oblivion use the pal60 format which means you need a tv thats capable of displaying 60 hertz.

There are some games that use 50 hertz but a lot of the good ones use pal60 so a 60 hertz capable tv seems to be required.
    Correct me if Im wrong.
    Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Powercity is the cheapest place to buy tvs,you,d get a good deal in did or harvey norman if you wait til theres a sale on.Look at model nos specs on the net be4 you buy,re 60khz capability.Try looking at label,rear of tv.But ,220/50mhz refers to the power supply.If you ask nicely the assistant ,will check manual re,60hz status of tv.You will need 60hz tv for GOW,and many new games coming out on 360console.Sometimes powercity,have 30percent reductions on some tv,cos theres only 3 left,ie new models are coming out.Last years model.Get 1tv with 2 avs, audio out ,svideo connector is handy for pc connection.Thers only so much you can get 4 150euro.

Brill thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ah yes, I forgot that point. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

theres a bush 21" in the argos catalog for E144....not sure if 60 herts

Thanks guys.
    I think I might not have to buy a new tv anyway cos I tried a game in 60hz on my ps2 and while the picture was in black and white apart from there being no colour the picture seemed perfect.

So I think my tv does infact support 60hz or else I would have just gotten a flicker and no picture at all(thats what I read on a website about ntsc forget the name of the website)

So I read on a website that ps2 doesnt have pal60 and has ntsc at 60hz and thats why you get a black and white picture if you use a composite cable with it (unless youve got an rgb cable which gives you the colour).

Xbox 360 uses pal60 so it gives colour with a composite cable unlike the ps2 which is ntsc.

I got my tv 6 years ago but its got 2 scart sockets and sure if pal60 does come out black and white on my tv then I will look into the argos or power city deal.

thanks guys.

Get pc monitor 19inch,connect it thru vga and you,ll have a full 720p ,1080 i display.buy 1 from from adverts.ie ,for sale,boards.ie 65euro approx .You,ll have to buy a hdvga 360 cable too.I think you,ll need a vga monitor with a female 15pin VGAsocket.CHECK it be4 you buy it,re socket.Google search tv to get refresh rate specifications, eg sony model no 32410c ,look at rear of tv ,label with model no.Some monitors like mine have a removable vga cable,gently remove it from socket,plug in 360 HDvga cable very carefully INTO THE 15PIN SOCKET.Many monitors no socket,cable is built into case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

how can you tell if it 50hz or 60hz ??

• Advertisement

Heres a couple of ways.
    http://www.ntsc-uk.com/tech.php?tech=ImportHardwareFAQ

My tv was ok by the way its 6 years old and works fine with pal60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rhyswm

I am getting an Xbox 360 for xmas with Gears Of War, i have hard that gears of war is only compatible with 60HZ televisions... I hav a PS2 atm and on some games it asks if you would like to use 60HZ so i chose 6HZ and it came up in black and white, will my TV work in colour for the xbo 360 ??

You dont need ntsc for 360 6ohtz games,just a 60htz tv.Post model number here or google it ,eg sony model 530cl specifications or look at tv makers website/support ie philips.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rhyswm

Th model of my TV is Proline 20T1 It is 50hertz only =\is this a problem for Xbox 360 games?

its a problem if you wanna play gears of war,smackdown vs raw 07 , look on back of the game case ,it,ll say 60htz tv required.Something like that.i dont think you need ntsc tv unless you are gonna start buying games from the usa.Some games need pal tv 6ohtz,older tvs are 50htz.

Advertisement