Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toshiba laptop problem

• 25-11-2006 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is more suited to computers & technology, but here goes:

Recently my laptop which has 40GB hard drive and 256mb ram had a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) as I believe it's called.

This means Windows XP crashed and had to do a 'physical memory dump'. This has happened a few times now.

I managed to get it to run Chkdsk which I thought repaired the problem, but it was back again yesterday.

From what I can find on the net, it can be caused by the graphics card, which in my case is Intel's own as I have a 1.2Ghz Intel Centrino Processor, or perhaps a problem with the PC's BIOS or power supply.

I have done a system restore, and am now wondering if recent Windows XP updates or the AVG anti-virus files (which I am now being prompted to download again) were causing the problem somehow...

Or could it be something else?

My laptop is now about 3 years old, so could the hard drive be on its way out?

Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dont suppose you noted the error number ?
    8x0000000000 etc

Clean install of windows and update all the drivers mainly video and chipset to the latest versions.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Give memtest a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

thanks guys

Error no. is 0x0000007A Kernel Input Page Error

At one stage it mentioned atapi.sys and I am wondering if the driver related to this is causing the problem.

Couldn't get memtest to work.

Have tried reducing the no. of programs that open on startup, but the PC crashed again shortly afterwards.

Need to download a debugger from the Windows site to see if that can find it.

Am wondering if I should just get a new hard drive - a 40GB one, the same as I have at the moment is only €50 but I will need some help!

Advertisement