Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving school

• 25-11-2006 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

not sure where to post this but this seemed as good a place as any

well im 16 an in 5th year n haten it. Ive been thinkin of leaving since i finished the jc now im 16 so who can stop me. Id probly get an apprentship as an electrician then go into instrumentation which the money is supposed to be good in.
    So Whats stopin me is the thought of if say a year down the line im hating what im doing what as regards to education can i do then.
    so id like sum advice plz :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

well just to let u know that most of apprentices and companys look for a leaving cert as the minumum. i was the same as u i was gonna leave skool after the junior but then i looked at the bright side of life and said well 2 years of my life isnt much if it means to get me a job with good money . i stayed anbd done my leaving cert now i work as a sound enginneer it took me 2 more years after the leaving in college to get were i am . but 2 more years isnt really much if u think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Get the LC and then go for apprenticeship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Unless you're very well acquainted with a tradesman, you'll find it very difficult to get an apprenticeship without a leaving cert at least

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

could prbly get one with my cousin. Is there any courses you can do with out the leaving like plc's which are possible to get without a leaving if youve worked in that field but are rare i think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What you decide to do about this will affect the rest of your life.
    Be absolutely sure you want to leave school and have somewhere to go. No 'I'd probably get...' or 'I might get...' or 'I could get...' - have a definite course of action.

It is possible to get an apprenticeship with a Junior Cert. - especially if you have a family connection. You will still (if it is a proper apprenticeship and not a Mickey Mouse set up) have to go to college and that is where you might run into problems.

What is it about school that you are hating? The work? Is it all subjects you hate? You will have to do work for college in subjects you may find hard - will you throw that up too?

Have you looked into the possibility of changing the type of Leaving Cert. course you are doing?

You need to think long and hard about this - consult your Career Guidance teacher if you have one, consult your possible employers if they are family, consult your parents.

If you leave school, make sure you go directly into something - nothing looks worse on a CV than months spent aimlessly hanging around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 NirdleBug

There's no point in staying there if you hate it.
    I left school earlier this year. School was a pain in the arse for me and I wasn't going to stick another 2 years of it. 2 years doesn't sound long but it feels long when you're not happy.
    If you do leave, go to Obair and they'll suss you out and get you something you'll like. There's loads of things you can do nowadays.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you have an apprenticeship to go into then yes leave school and start it,if that is what you really want to do.

What if you do not like that though?then what do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

thats what im askin are there courses i could do?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

Well worst gI ever did was feck up my leaving. Thats why Im repeating it!
    You dont even have 2 years left. Suck it up and get on with it, you will be glad you did. Believe me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

stay on you have only 1 year to go! hang on in their you can widen your prospects if you stay on. please stay on you have done like so many years in school why waste it without getting your leaving cert. Dont mind the teachers and other students just get ur leaving you prob wont see them again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

School isn't something you should really like. I don't think I know anyone who actually looked foward to being in school everyday and spending the day in class, and while some may have enjoyed the overall experience, I can imagine most people could think of more entertaining things they could have been doing.

The thing is, it has to be done. Things get a lot better when it's over. More importantly, so many more doors open up for you.

Quiting is the easy way out. Keep with it and get a decent LC, it'll be worth it in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aerial

No matter how horrible it seems now, you'll most likely regret it if you leave school. A bad LC result is better than none at all, and points for Institutes of Technology are pretty reasonable.

Have you thought about doing the LCVP? You still do the leaving cert, but it's specifically aimed at finding employment after school and is less academically focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

no point in asking people for advice.

most people will say stick at it, not really giving a toss what you do. They don't feel your pain, they don't have to get up every morning and sit through hours of uninteresting rubbish, longing to get home.

i'll remind you that the most successful people are those who take risks. If you have the balls, the confidence and street intelligence, go for it, if you really want to get out.

Had i left school in your position, i'd put myself under pressure to achieve goals and do everything in my power to achieve them. Leaving school could be a smart move. For most, it's a stupid move.

If you just want to leave and do nothing only sit about the house and drift, stick at school. If you want to do something, and you're sure about it, quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^Agreed.

Only leave if you know exactly what you're going to do and if it really is a viable option.

Otherwise, stick it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

i know i dont know your situation and each to their own and all that but SERIOUSLY its only a year(not really a long time for what its worth!!)and having even SAT the leaving cert opens so many more doors to you for the future...just sit the exams and then decide whether you want to use them or not...its WAY harder to go back and sit them later in life than to just stick it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

do the minimum you can get by on to ensure you pass if you really hate it THAT much!
    Very few aprentiship places are offered without the lc- plus look down the line-supposing you suffer an accident/ develop artheritis etc and can't perform physical work?! The LC is a great back up ti have then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ag123_old

Hi, I'm coming into my final weeks in 6th year and am dreading what is to come with the leaving cert and everything.. I've had a bad year this year and have barely been in.. I have done no studying or preperations and was thinking about leaving? I was wondering if anybody had any advise on where i would go to repeat if I did'nt sit my leaving cert this year and decided to do it next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Maybe its the school aspect that you are hating, as in people or teachers etc. I say do the leaving cert anyway, it really is considered the foundation stone from where you build your future. I hated school more than most and considered leaving so many times but eventually came around to just dragging myself across the finishing line.

Do the leaving, even if it means flaking out and doing pretty bad, showing up late, missing classes, just get it out of the way. If you know what you wanna do and it means just gettin the piece of paper then just coast it. Sadly, it can be a huge mark of judgement on you even in ordinary, social scenarios.

I say get the paper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

ag123 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm coming into my final weeks in 6th year and am dreading what is to come with the leaving cert and everything.. I've had a bad year this year and have barely been in.. I have done no studying or preperations and was thinking about leaving? I was wondering if anybody had any advise on where i would go to repeat if I did'nt sit my leaving cert this year and decided to do it next year?

Agree with guitarzero.

If you hate school so much it's probably best not to repeat the leaving. You have to ask yourself: Would I slip back into my old habits next year, staying out and missing classes? You'd be in the same boat, unless you'e determined to do it all again next year. If that's your choice then do it.

I think your best option is to sit the Leaving this year. It's never too late. You have seven weeks. Focus on your best six subjects. Study everyday, even if you stay out of school and do study at home. Every chapter learned is gaining you marks. Yes there may be topics you won't cover and you may not get all A's but you'll get a reasonable LC, better than none. (Plus revision books are great for study)

Look to the IT's or PLC courses. Even if you don't get many points in the LC you can work your way up from a level 5 to 6 then 7 etc. You could choose something you really enjoy and stat liking life again instead of being stuck doing the LC.

Plus: For your study, use the predictions on this forum to focus in on -topics predicted to come up. Yes they are not guaranteed to come up, but they might do.

Start today. When you go in on the 6th of June you'll be confident with the amount of study you've done and I'm sure you'll do grand. You'll regret it in August when the results come out that you didn't even attempt it. Do your best. At the end of the day, I dunno one LC'er who is looking forward to that exam. We're just doing it to get on in life, so should you.

Advertisement