Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricy Issues

Options
  • 25-11-2006 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello,
    Feel free to move to appropriate forum...

I have a big problem with my new house....

Moving in a few months ago but have been busy with work etc.. so don't have much done yet... Kitchen (no cooker) and bedroom really all...

Anyways got first proper bill from ESB and it was... 160Euro... checked to see how far off the estimate was... not very .. just a few units...

Now what the hell could be causing such a drain on my supply...

ESB agree I have a problem but they're just saying basically sort it out.. and pay the 160...

So anyone have any ideas ? ... Builder is still on site and gave the initial reaction of "Sure hasn't costs gone up" !?!?!? :mad:

Really need some advice here....

(Getting paranoid that they are tapping my house for the communal development lighting :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

How long before completion was the ESB connected? The builders could have used up a fair bit with tools etc. Also Dehumidifiers are very heavy on electricity if you were using one.
    Take a reading at 24 hourly intervals for a few days, and get an idea of your daily usage. Then see how much 2 months should have cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those 500w Halogen worklamps eat through electricity, most builders aren't exactly too concerned with saving energy and have a few running at once , thats a big drain on a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I would be extremely surprised if the builders are tapping into your supply. What do you have on in your house, I think you'll find that your bill is correct.
    Maybe you have storage heaters or other high users of power on without knowing just how much power they actually use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Are you running an immersion to heat the water ?

If so is it on a timer?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Well the builders paid up the electricity after they left.. this is the first bill that is just for the house for the full period I have been there (no one else...)

The heating etc.. is all running off gas... so I have a big gas bill on top... but that i dont mind paying that one (i do mind the 30% rise)... im warm and I can wash... hence i pay...

electricity though ... I feel like I'm paying to light up a small village... again i have bloody A rated appliances everywhere, even washing machine and only energy saving lightbulbs..

-Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You really have to start recording the meter by the hour if possible to find out what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

It's highly unlikely that there's a drain on electricity, however you could double check by switching everything off and ensuring that the meter is static.

I remember a story I heard a few years ago....
    A couple moved into a new house and found that the attic was a bit damp and put a 2 bar fire up there to dry it out a bit...............

Their children found it 20 years later still switched on :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

Do you have an electric shower?

The immersion as mentioned earlier is a good bet.

Maybe a sensor 500W halogen being activated all night long by a cat.

Cant think of much else that would be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

do you have a water pump ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I picked up a power meter off ebay, it will tell you the kW usage of what ever you plug in

might help here, but your problem could be hardwired

Advertisement