Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next gen warez

Options
  • 25-11-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

"Got my 360 flashed other day so dont have to buy any more over priced games"

Something that was said to me during the week, which made me think of how many people here and in RL only buy consoles when they are cracked and how most of them never bought a Gamecube as it was a pin to run backed up games on.

90% of posters here had a Chipped Ps2 or Modded Xbox, i imagine 90% will have a flashed 360 and linux hacked Ps3 soon enough (I have hard drive in both my ps2 and xbox for homebrew and less loading times...really)

Everyone complains about games prices but most dont buy them they obtain them and now with the next gen systems being cracked sales will probably increase.

Has it got to the point where people only buy consoles wehn they are cracked? Every PC game is obtainable but tru online serials some have to be bought to play online.

Should every game (single player inc) have a form of online authencation ala HL2 ie you cant play till you go online which ****s up the internet less people.

To me this is the only way games developers can beat piracy as obviously the protection in flagship consoles and any PC game isnt working and never will. And i dont know anyone who plays Bf2 or PES6 online who didnt buy the game.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I think that's a bit exagerated, I've never had any of my consoles chipped and I can't think of anyone I know who has. I did get a swap card specifically for Suikoden 3 which was never released in Europe.

To see a market where piracy is having a real impact, see PC games. Console game sales are very healthy, PC games have been sliding horribly since bit torrent became popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Total exaggeration. i'd be surprised if 10% of irish ps2's are chipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The ps3 won't be linux 'hacked'. Sony are actively promoting the installation of Linux on the machine and even give instructions on one of their sites. I was actually suprised that it didn't ship with a linux installation already on it as they seemed to give that inpression a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

wayne its going the way of the psp already........., 99% of irish ppl wouldnt have a clue about hacking consoles and wouldnt even know you could in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Did you give yer man a punch in the nuts, on behalf of the dev community? :p

• Advertisement

It's a bit disappointing. As a linux user myself, I was hoping to see them ship the PS3 with some form of desktop linux on it. It would have given a lot more people some exposure to it, although they probably wouldn't even know what it was.

they only have linux on it for some tax reasons just like the ps2 from i have read, so it can be classified as a pc. Wont be suprised if they make major changes to what linux can access on the system when it comes out over here. So early ps3's might become like early psp's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

wayne its going the way of the psp already........., 99% of irish ppl wouldnt have a clue about hacking consoles and wouldnt even know you could in the first place.

HAHAH your having a laugh yea? irish people and FREE go hand in hand.
    Someone in the pub/work told them about it etc:

kdjac

they only have linux on it for some tax reasons just like the ps2 from i have read, so it can be classified as a pc. Wont be suprised if they make major changes to what linux can access on the system when it comes out over here. So early ps3's might become like early psp's.

Yeah I know that. But I was under the impression they were taking it one step further than the PS2 i.e. installing it on the machine before shipping, because they didn't get away with the tax avoision with the ps2.

and yes that would make the 1% and your having a laughing if you think every tom, dick and harry is playing a copy of pro evo on their modded ps2. For every person that gets there console modded by a friend, theirs gonna be hundreds more than havent. Too scared that modding it will feck it up etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭BKtje

Never got me xbox or ps2 modded, i knew about it but i couldnt be arsed.
    That said my pc is where i spend most my free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

KdjaCL wrote:
    Should every game (single player inc) have a form of online authencation ala HL2 ie you cant play till you go online which ****s up the internet less people.
    That didn't really do much as Steam was hacked also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

KdjaCL wrote:
    90% of posters here had a Chipped Ps2 or Modded Xbox
    Nope, not me. Id be surprised if its >50% of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

lets add a poll!! I don't mod unless you count the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Had my Xbox modded, and GameCube modded for imports, but that's about it - and the Xbox was bought long before it was moddable. Cant be arsed flashing my 360.

On the surface, it's great to have an unlimited supply of free games. In reality, you end up investing no time in any of them, because you've invested no money in them, and there's always another one to replace it. Forking out 70e for a game on the other hand, and you'll make sure to get your money's worth from it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

I've no problem with people flashing their 360, prices are absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I've no problem with people flashing their 360, prices are absolutely ridiculous
    Shop around and you can get all your games for €60 on the high street and as low as €35 online. That's no excuse at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Was going to get the xbox modded a while back purely for use as a media centre but never got round to it.

Wouldn't be bothered doing it for games really, don't buy loads and only then I get them for MP so I do get my monies worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I was actually suprised that it didn't ship with a linux installation already on it as they seemed to give that inpression a few months back.

well the system is based on some sort of linux OS in the first place, and has debug tools etc. not sure why it wasn't shipped with a "go into linux mode" option type thing, but maybe they just want to keep that for a niche audience, and not waste HDD space.
    That didn't really do much as Steam was hacked also.

yeah but how many people are playing illegal copies of HL2, versus the numbers playing illegal copies of Quake4? i'd say in that regard steam is a resounding success.

as for the whole modding thing. i'm into it on the PSP, as it serves a purpose there (putting my old SNES/Megadrive games on there with homebrew apps)... but there's no real benefit to modding my ps2 or 360, other then getting games illegally.

yeah, it's cheaper, but there's an industry there that spends an incredible amount on these games (money, time & talent wise). unlike music, they actually let you taste the experience first with demos, so you can't say you're "sampling" the product before buying. i'd rather support good game devs by buying good games, and encouraging them to continue developing good titles, rather then ripping them off tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

90% my arse!

• Advertisement

well the system is based on some sort of linux OS in the first place, and has debug tools etc. not sure why it wasn't shipped with a "go into linux mode" option type thing, but maybe they just want to keep that for a niche audience, and not waste HDD space.

I'm not so sure that the system firmware is linux based. If it was, then they would have make the source code freely available less any code that they created themselves (getting around the gpl). They could be using a bsd licenced kernel (perhaps freebsd, openbsd etc) which is similar (although purists would be sure to point out the differences!) but would allow them to keep the code to themselves. A combination of this and their own code could be a possiblilty. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

this thread proves that 97.3% of all statistics are made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I have a PS2, knew about being able to mod it but never bothered.

I don't buy games when they come out - ever. €50+ is a ridiculous amount to be spending on a game. I wait until whatever game I want comes down to a decent price and then I buy. Just the other day I got a game off ebay for two pounds fifty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wouldn't mind Linuxifying my Xbox, and getting my PS2 modded for imports (so many games I want come out in the US but not here :( ). I have a Freeloader for my GC. Nothing's modded at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've had several consoles and my 360 is the only one I've ever got modded. I got it flashed about 2 weeks ago and I've had it a year. I didn't buy it specifically to get it modded anyway.

Not a whole lot of people that would have consoles would be aware of modding. I only found out about it a year ago which was about 2/3 years after I got my PS2 and a year after getting my xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

As far as hacking the PS3 is concerned, PS3 Linux runs under a virtualisation enviornment, so Sony can actually restrict what it can and cant do. This means it isn't just a matter of copying the games onto the hard drive and figuring out how to run them under Linux, there would have to be vulnerabilities found in the hypervisor before games will run.

Also, there still is no support for the RSX, so until someone releases drivers for it, there'll be no 3D acceleration under Linux either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

On the surface, it's great to have an unlimited supply of free games. In reality, you end up investing no time in any of them, because you've invested no money in them, and there's always another one to replace it. Forking out 70e for a game on the other hand, and you'll make sure to get your money's worth from it! :)

Thats the truest thing in this thread, people may or may not believe the 90% thing but i think its fairly true. And in regards to PC games does anyone here not have a game on their pc thats warez (i actually dont atm).

The money point is correct we can "acquire" tonnes of games but never play them as we not arsed but if we bought them and read the manual in the jacks or on the bus and got home and played it we be more interested, one game i have is Res Evil 4 but as i obtained it i havent been arsed finishing it. But i know if i bought it i wouldnt stop till i cleared it.

kdjac

Advertisement