Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50Hz or 60Hz

Options
  • 25-11-2006 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

So a few games have asked me this before.
    I'm not sure what it means so can someone please explain it to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

It's the refresh rate on a TV/monitor. Pretty much all tv's support one, if not both of them. You can adjust the refresh rate on monitors manually, ranges depend on what the monitor is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

50/60hz on a monitor is sore on the eyes.

them refresh rates on tv's are normal though.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Basically, Ireland has 50hz electricity so we use Pal which is 25fps (50 fields per second)

America has 60hz electricity so they use NTSC which is 29.97fps (60 fields per second)

But alot of newer Tvs support 50hz and 60hz, so its an extra 5fps if you use 60hz!!!:eek:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"fields per second"??

I was always under the impression that it meant "frames per second"...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I can't play on anything lower than 85 on a monitor. I feel like im going mad otherwise. Things shift and blur and my brains starts to fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

mmmmmmm fried brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

conzymaher wrote:
    Basically, Ireland has 50hz electricity so we use Pal which is 25fps (50 fields per second)

America has 60hz electricity so they use NTSC which is 29.97fps (60 fields per second)

But alot of newer Tvs support 50hz and 60hz, so its an extra 5fps if you use 60hz!!!:eek:

:p

You just had to go one better than everyone, didn't you? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Spike wrote:
    You just had to go one better than everyone, didn't you? :p
    Or rather, he had to give the only useful answer so far. The original question was about console games on TVs and has nothing to do with monitors or PCs. It is fields per second. In interlaced video, there are usually two fields in each frame.

senordingdong, the only thing you need to know is that every TV sold in Ireland supports PAL 50Hz and most now also support PAL 60Hz. If 60 works, use it. You'll get a better quality picture. If it doesn't, stick with 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Thank you Balfa, that was what I was asking. The game in question was Resident Evil 4...but I don't think I can notice a difference.

it's fairly hard to tell the difference of 5 frames on a tv.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find it's very easy to tell the difference. Games seem to run much smoother and the picture tends to be a lot clearer as well.

well it's a long time since i played 60hz console games think the last was power stone on the dreamcast or some other DC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

A lot of X360 PAL games are 60Hz only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah, I still can't tell the difference but every time I pick the 60hz option, I hear this really high pitched wail...is that normal?

Advertisement