Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children who walk on their toes.

Options
  • 26-11-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

Folks, does anybody here have children who do or have done this ? My son , he will be 8 in Feb has always done it, we have never taken any serious intrest in it, he is a child, he will grow out of it , etc. But it was brought to my attention by his teacher recently at a parent/teacher meeting. she advised me to get it checked out as "its not normal". Now, i have done a bit of reading on the net so far, and ranges from MS to issues with calf muscles/achiles tendons.My Father also walked liked this and never caused him any issues. He is very well developed mentally and physically, no issues with anything there as far as we can tell, he just finds it easier to walk on his toes. We are going to investigate this further of course with out GP, but in the meantime, has anybody came across this with their children before and if so, how was it dealt with ?

Thanks in advance,

oleras.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

I've only ever seen it in very young children who were just starting to walk - and it was as a direct result of using so called 'baby walkers' - don't know if they are still around - they were a type of seat on wheels that non-walking babies could push themselves around in.

These toddlers that were toe-walking started walking properly (on the flat of their foot) in about 2-3 months of starting to walk.

I've personally never seen or heard of an 8 year old continuing to toe-walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

My son did this too. He does have dsylexia but I dont know if there is any link. However you dont mention any difficulties in this area.

My son still walks on his toes when out of his shoes.

If I was you and was concerned myself I would ask my GP as my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Now that you mention it I did this up until about 8 or so (cant remember at all when I stopped). Only remembered/noticed because I got the odd slagging for it, 'ha ha you want to be taller'.

It just..stopped. No physical problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Up to age 3 it's normal. Check required via school health nurse who will refer to Community paed, or GP who will referto hosp paed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

well, nothing was ever picked up at school health nurse stage, and he has only been to our GP 3 maybe 4 times in his life. But im gona bring him and get a referal to a paed, better to be safe than sorry. As for learning dificulties, quiet the oposite, very very bright, reading at 10.5 years stage acording to the school, but just 1 or 2 red flags for autism,(nothing obvious to me, and i hope i could pick up on it) damn internet... gives too much information !!!! Im sure i am worrying over nothing. I was getting him to do some exercises this morning , standing on his heal and that, stretching his calf muscle, but it seems his achiles tendon actually might be too short, its just more comfortable for him to walk on his toes. although knowing this country it could be months before anyone sees him.... lets wait and see.

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    well, nothing was ever picked up at school health nurse stage, and he has only been to our GP 3 maybe 4 times in his life. But im gona bring him and get a referal to a paed, better to be safe than sorry. As for learning dificulties, quiet the oposite, very very bright, reading at 10.5 years stage acording to the school, but just 1 or 2 red flags for autism,(nothing obvious to me, and i hope i could pick up on it) damn internet... gives too much information !!!! Im sure i am worrying over nothing. I was getting him to do some exercises this morning , standing on his heal and that, stretching his calf muscle, but it seems his achiles tendon actually might be too short, its just more comfortable for him to walk on his toes. although knowing this country it could be months before anyone sees him.... lets wait and see.

Tip: (Fact) Ireland has a Child Health Policy like most developed countries. Try HSE for a copy of document (Best Health For Children)
    Your Health Bord should also have a 'Mission Statement' about what health services / access is 'Supposed' to be provided for children.
    Some Counties DO provide a School Health service EG Mayo is one. (Fact). Community nurses carry out development checks inc height/weight/hearing & eye checks etc throughout school life. No one ha questioned whether this is unequally distributed across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

I have a 15month old baby who nearly always walks on his toes when out of his shoes. LIke your self, we just say ah he'll grow out of it. But I would get it checked if it seemed to continue on, just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm 17 and still do it, especially around the house with no shoes on.

And no, I'm not mentally disabled in any way.

Toddlers may walk on tippy toes if they use a 'baby walker'.

There are always many reasons for many of the things children do. Some are notoriously habit forming just like > walking on tippy toes. This MAY happen especially if child has used a baby walker because leg muscles only develop normally by pulling up from the floor.
    Other reasons for T toes are:
    Sometimes caused by overactive calf muscles.
    Sometimes achilles tendon is too tight.
    Sometimes due to serious causes:
    Tethered Cord Syndrome -' spinal cord is stretched further than its supposed to be. > MRI scan will tell.
    Sometimes caused by a lack of oxygen at birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Quick update on this.
    Got the referral from GP. We saw the ortho surgeon today and he is making an apointment for a physio therapist. Its the tendon and muscle are way too tight, on the extreme side of tight. His recomondations are daily exercises, 2-3 times a day for 3 months and take it from there. If they work and lenghten the tendon it looks like this could be a daily thing untill he stops growing. He is only 8 now. Fingers crossed this will work. If not, casting the foot in plaster in a stretched position for 4-6 weeks, after that surgery to lenghten the tendon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 onz

hi, my son is four and has toe walked since he took his first step, we brought him for tests and they recommended daily physio to stretch the tendon, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, hes starting school this year , and we are worried he will be teased... he doesn't display any other problems, a very bright and talkative child full of energy. We have noticed his two year old brother is displaying the same behavior, but it seems to be more imitation of his older bro. i have read that surgery is not too successful, and children have had two surgeries without success, talking to a 20 year old young man online once who has the problem, and he says when he puts his heel to the ground its as if he has no sensory feedback- it feels alien to him, hes more comfortable walking on his toes....
    sorry if i haven't helped you any further but it doesn't seem to be anything too sinister and children can lead happy normal lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

get it checked .

My friends son did this and is now in calipers for a few years to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

oleras wrote: »
    Quick update on this.
    Got the referral from GP. We saw the ortho surgeon today and he is making an apointment for a physio therapist. Its the tendon and muscle are way too tight, on the extreme side of tight. His recomondations are daily exercises, 2-3 times a day for 3 months and take it from there. If they work and lenghten the tendon it looks like this could be a daily thing untill he stops growing. He is only 8 now. Fingers crossed this will work. If not, casting the foot in plaster in a stretched position for 4-6 weeks, after that surgery to lenghten the tendon.

My dad is a physio and says that exercises get very good results - my sisters son had the same and he sorted it. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Tiptoeing (ideopathic toewalking) can signal a mild form of CP or ASD, so it is always worth checking out. Most likely though an achilles tendon that is too short, and physio and exercises can sort this out.

Flashing light trainers are brilliant for toe walkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

It makes for less contact with a cold floor. As kids we always used to walk like this in our house, generally older than 8 as well, but we didn't have heating.

Is it really such a big issue? I sometimes still do it and I'm late thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Was just reading something about this today!

article said that after 3yo or so it's most tendons at the calf and requires physio or maybe operation depending on how bad it is.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I used to do it too as a kid, I believe I was older than 8 when I stopped, it seems to be pretty common!

My Wife rang Assist Ireland yesterday, apparently they can put you in touch with companies based in Dublin and nationally that make orthopedic shoes which may help the condition, plus i believe the government reimburse the cost if bought through an affiliated agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I am 22 and I have always walked on my toes, it is just the natural way I walk, even when I have high heels on I often still find myself with the heels off the floor! I must go to the doctor about it. I don't know if it means anything but I have big enough calf muscles (probably from all those years of holding me up on my toes)

• Advertisement

hi luckystar, can you place your heel on the ground intentionally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

yes i can but i always walk on my toes unless i am specifically concentrating on not doing so. when i am wearing high heels i often find myself standing on my toes even more so my heel is not on the shoe!! it seems to be unnatural for me to have my heel touch the floor when i walk.

hi luckystar, thats interesting - because many of the doctors say my son needs intensive physio to stretch the tendon, but if you ask him to stand properly he can do it without difficulty. We visited a physio recently and he said its not the tendon and we are only upsetting the child giving him physio and constantly asking him to walk properly. he suggested that theres a difficulty in the relationship between the brain signal to the nerve in the heel. other than that hes happy and healthy.

Advertisement