Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exploding wood pellet boiler

Options
  • 26-11-2006 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

just got a new opop boiler with a scotte burner. i've been waiting all week for the guy to come to comission it but he never showed so i got his number this morning from the supplier and i rang him to talk me through the set up. it was running fine for about two hours when it blew up, thats right it exploded and blew the top off and the front door.

anyone else have this problem? please tell me that i'm not the only one cos i have a feeling their goin to try to blame me when they come to check it out.

p

Comments

Sounds like the water boiled in the heat exchanger, was the pump working? did any hot water get to the cylinder & radiators/UFH.

He shouldn't have told you how to commission it over the phone.

I think you're in the sh!t on this one as you commisioned it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pdeery

yeah the water had started to heat up in the pipes and seemed to be going fine for a while but i think it was putting too many pellets onto the tray cos when it stopped smoking after it blew i found a big pile of burning pellets sitting there so i assume there were too many on it and it couldnt burn out past the bottom ones.

p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Can I ask who you bought the system from? I'm going in this morning to put my money down on a Opop and am panicking that I'm doing the right thing. PM me please if you don't want to put it in the public domaine. It's been one of those weeks where I've heard nothing positive about wood pellets.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frogfoot

I got my 24KW op pop commisioned last week.
    Sounds like you did not connect temp sensor probe to the underside of the insulation on the outlet pipe.This would have turned down the burner when it reached 60C. If this was not on it would have just read the ambient tempreature and told the burner too keep going full whack. It is a 1.5 mtr cable that comes off the controller box with a stub on the end. You also should have a high temp stat fitted as safeguard which should have cut the power if the boiler went over 80C. This came with my boiler but I know a pal and he got a 40Kw DOR and he did not. It is plumbed into the boiler at the top left or right back of boiler. If you have not done this maybe you should do it to now before the supplier comes out and blames you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ciaran lyons

Recently got a scotte opop h430 boiler installed and it's going grand except for the ash that's being generated. There are a lot of charred pellet remains in there instead of the fine ash you are supposed to have. It seems to me that the fan is either blowing too much off the burning grate or that the burner is taking in too many pellets to burn them all effectively. I know how to access the fan menu and have tried tinkering with ot & other settings, does anyone know how what the correct settings should be? We have a 32KW boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

pdeery wrote:
    just got a new opop boiler with a scotte burner. i've been waiting all week for the guy to come to comission it but he never showed so i got his number this morning from the supplier and i rang him to talk me through the set up. it was running fine for about two hours when it blew up, thats right it exploded and blew the top off and the front door.

anyone else have this problem? please tell me that i'm not the only one cos i have a feeling their goin to try to blame me when they come to check it out.

p

Too late now I guess, but the guy should not have allowed you to commisson the boiler yourself. Also as frogfoot says it looks like the temp sensor probe was not fitted to the flow pipe nor was the high tempreture stat fitted, that was the guys job to do all that.

These Boilers need to be comissoned by people who have been trained.

Ciara. You should ideally give a quick call to the guy who commissoned the boiler, you could try and reduce the cleaning cycle on the settings, this should reduce the amount of ash being blwon of the grate and should allow your pellets to burn fully through. but chat to the guy who did the commissoning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

frogfoot wrote:
    I got my 24KW op pop commisioned last week.
    Sounds like you did not connect temp sensor probe to the underside of the insulation on the outlet pipe.This would have turned down the burner when it reached 60C. If this was not on it would have just read the ambient tempreature and told the burner too keep going full whack. It is a 1.5 mtr cable that comes off the controller box with a stub on the end. You also should have a high temp stat fitted as safeguard which should have cut the power if the boiler went over 80C. This came with my boiler but I know a pal and he got a 40Kw DOR and he did not. It is plumbed into the boiler at the top left or right back of boiler. If you have not done this maybe you should do it to now before the supplier comes out and blames you.

Frogfoot - how are you finding your Opop at this stage? I am looking into both the Opop and Kedco wood pellet boilers at the moment, but anxious to hear from people that have had one installed. Thanks

Advertisement