Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Youtube

• 26-11-2006 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Is it illegal to watch copyrighted films on youtube?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

Dman001 wrote:
    Is it illegal to watch copyrighted films on youtube?

It is illegal to make a copy, disseminate a copy, upload or download a copy, buy, sell or otherwise transact a copy of any copyright material without permission of the copyright holder.

So far as I know, there is no restriction on actually watching it (if you can manage the feat without committing any of the acts above).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well your PC is downloading it as you stream but alot of the Stuff on YouTube is recorded from TV broadcasts. After the advent of the VCR, they decided that enforcing the recording of TV as impractical, after VCR were declared legal (Wikipedia- "The Betamax Case").

For the same reason services such as Sky+, TiVo and DVD-Recorders are legal.

The problems start to arise when profit-making is involved. As far is the Copyrighted material goes; like Bootleg movies that are uploaded to YouTube: I would stay away from them for quality reasons anyway but those are definitely illegal.
    Practically I doubt that the CO's are going to attack users but Im sure YouTube (and hence their new owner Google) are going to hear hell about it.

Thats all I gotta say. I dont guarantee any of it is accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

Overheal wrote:
    they decided that enforcing the recording of TV as impractical, after VCR were declared legal (Wikipedia- "The Betamax Case").
    For the same reason services such as Sky+, TiVo and DVD-Recorders are legal.

Speaking from my usual position of lofty ignorance, didn't "the Betamax case" ruling find that the producer / supplier of equipment could not be held responsible for the copyright infringements of their customers? The copyright infringement still occurs and is still illegal, even if pursuing them is impractical.

There have been cases, in Ireland, in which a representative cross-section of typical downloaders (46 people, I think, including a teen & a granny) have been fined. Could have been INFACT, RAAP, IMRO, RIAA or some combination involved using http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA28Y2000.html

Advertisement