Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Awful Speeds

Options
  • 26-11-2006 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Have been with NTL since March and up to yesterday was getting the speeds i should on the 6 meg package. Since yesterday night download speeds are crap barely getting 1 meg speeds. I'm in Waterford anyone else have the same experience????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Odd... In general speeds are alright, however I'm getting a crap connection to anything on HEAnet (any irish colleges/educational institutions/the main irish mirror for most open source software) this weekend :( 300ms ping, at most 20KB/sec download speed from there. Pain in the ass for SSH.

I'm on the 6mb package in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

this week they officially started merging the ip networks of Chorus and NTL customers. Chorus customers have moved to a new ip range on AS6830 ( a UPC routing ) and NTL customers are on this too, a different ip network and AS route to the old one used by NTL Ireland ( before August etc )

Lots is happening in cable at the moment from the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Our NTL TV and internet have been down since yesterday. We're in Dublin 15 - anyone else with the same problem???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm getting painful speeds here in Waterford. It's like being on dial up. :(

If they're upgrading or something I suppose I can live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

NTL van was just outside - turns out they have 'power fluctuation problems' (?) and all NTL services in our entire area were down.
    Fixed now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm in waterford and the speeds are just terrible. Lag on games is so bad, it's unplayable. Download speeds vary between 10KB/s to 100KB/s depending on the server, and considering I'm on a 6mbps connection - I feel like puking on NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

dlofnep wrote:
    I'm in waterford and the speeds are just terrible. Lag on games is so bad, it's unplayable. Download speeds vary between 10KB/s to 100KB/s depending on the server, and considering I'm on a 6mbps connection - I feel like puking on NTL.

Am in Waterford too and speeds are the same just bloody AWFUL :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I wasnt even getting one packet a second , Last night it was rediculous!!! Im in waterford too by the way. There is a thread about it in the waterford forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

dlofnep wrote:

100% agree, ntl are gone ta shoit

Just an update, Speeds are dial-up like now. Is this problem just in the Waterford area???

• Advertisement

for chorus customers, routing appears to have been fixed. An update for others too, but NTL and chrous customers are now assigned IPs in the same ip-range and traffic goes out via t2-core aorta link from dublin, so it looks like its gearing up for a peering from that point in inex ( fingers crossed )

Anyways, if it does improve and magnet doesnt work out well for me ( getting the modem on wednesday ) guess id be going back to chorus lol. Since not relying on the phone line has an added attraction lol

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

JNive wrote:
    for chorus customers, routing appears to have been fixed. An update for others too
    ntl tallaght here and ive just noticed that my routing has switched back to being sent through holland again after 2-3 week of ire/uk routing. pings are gone to hell again :mad:

yesterdays pings in game 25-35ms

todays pings 100-160ms

this is getting beyond a joke at this point :rolleyes:

and i just checked again myself, rotuing has gotten bolloxed in amsterdam again, the same router that had issues before is having issues again.

Probably an overloaded peer, which is gone down again since they changed your routing back lol, this is just comical. Sounds like all their systems adminstration is being done by people experimenting or not quite sure what to do or what will happen. if they are carrying out work on their systems, which might affect customers connectivity, they should plan a window and notify customers. shower or amateurs really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Astro1996 wrote:
    ntl tallaght here and ive just noticed that my routing has switched back to being sent through holland again after 2-3 week of ire/uk routing. pings are gone to hell again :mad:

yesterdays pings in game 25-35ms

todays pings 100-160ms

this is getting beyond a joke at this point :rolleyes:

same here ! do they ahve a plan to sort this out ? I'm gonna ditch if not sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

320ms ping to ftp.heanet.ie , 12k/sec throughput.

I've had enough i'm cancelling tomorrow. NTL tech support were laughable, your one actually admitted to knowing nothing, their entire call centre is there to schedule technitian call outs, of which my last few haven't ever shown up. Talked to a supervisor, who in the middle of her own sentence put me back on hold then i was magically disconnected....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

158 pings to unreal.ie UT2K4 servers, average of 14 P/L, 34k down, 25k up. ****ing TERRIBLE. I feel like pouring petrol all over my NTL modem and setting it on fire.

Do they have any plan to fix all this ****e? I'm sick of it at this stage.

Lucan, dublin btw

mang87 wrote:
    158 pings to unreal.ie UT2K4 servers, average of 14 P/L, 34k down, 25k up. ****ing TERRIBLE. I feel like pouring petrol all over my NTL modem and setting it on fire.

Do they have any plan to fix all this ****e? I'm sick of it at this stage.

Lucan, dublin btw

Same here:mad: This is the worst ive ever experienced. A bloody joke it is.

40 mins being bounced in hold queue's between people there trying to cancel, eventually some nice woman in accounts explained they have some new stupid system that crashes constantly , so nothing is working properly...

(i wouldn't bother ring'n NTL today unless u love a massive queue and nothing being done)... i'm supposed to get a call back about cancelling but doubt i'll see that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Connections to heanet sucked for me i got much faster download speeds from an amsterdam based FTP than heanet >.<

i work within a network which gets it connectivity from HEANET so thats not a solution i can use :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mickger wrote:
    Have been with NTL since March and up to yesterday was getting the speeds i should on the 6 meg package. Since yesterday night download speeds are crap barely getting 1 meg speeds. I'm in Waterford anyone else have the same experience????

Speeds have been very slow alright. But seem to be back to normal today. The guy in Tech support asked me to do a test here:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/opencd/latest/

Downloading the 500 Meg file I got a transfer rate of 240 Kbps (which is just under 2 Megs). And I'm on 2 Megs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm in Dublin 8 and i've no speed issues with my NTL lately.

I don't download from INEX places but i'll try heanet later and post back.

Maybe i'm just lucky but i've never had any issues with my digital tv and broadband, apart from when an engineer accidentally disconnected me when he was setting up a new customer and I had no NTL for a week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

Depending on where you live in Waterford these problems may be related to work on the network to upgrade it to VOIP.

As for long queues on the phones, combine a new team with migration to a new system and you are going to have teething problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mine is cat with the last couple of weeks. I'm getting a blisteringly slow 20Kbps on the iso that Freddie posted above.
    I sent off a mail, after my call from the techs failed to materialise. They have til Monday before I just ditch this whole internet lark and go back to playing with a stick and hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

well my NTL is like a 3 legged dog.
    It's so slow - I tried a test by downloading that file above and the speed is 0.9kb/sec

It will take 151 hours to download at that speed!!

I'm supposed to be on 6mb and I'm in Dublin 1.

*sigh*

switched from chorus to magnet today, and downloading that file at 550kb/sec ( 15 minutes total download time ) , thats what the NTL guys should be aiming at, and not this joke of a service, they are just screweing customers around for a few months, cutting down on how much money they pay for their bandwidth and then either use the savings to dig out their network or are waiting for the next round of investment

Everythig back to normal ion Waterford since Tuesday night. Several of me friends were also affected and they're also back to normal. :D I used the following sites to check:

www.speedtest.ie which seems very accurate.

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/SoftwareListing.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=0CCCCE1C7A045DC389B2BF959634B555F59F353BADEA9752BB29D3BAE041F93F

Just download the file (driver 5.5as) and multiply the transfer rate (in bytes) by 8 to get the bitrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Its not working for me properly here in watrford. Im only getting around 2 Mb down when I should be getting 6!!!

Its not working for me properly here in watrford. Im only getting around 2 Mb down when I should be getting 6!!!

You must have an additional problem. I'd get them out to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I had a few outages on Wednesday 6th (Dublin 15/Carpenterstown). The ntl phone system was engaged!!
    This morning it was working grand from 8:30 until 9. Been down since then. I phoned ntl, was on hold, and kicked off the call after 15 mins. That gets tiresome after a few goes.
    I've texted a neighbour to test his connection when he gets home from work.
    I saw an engineer near my house for a few mins. I asked if he was working on broadband issues. The answer wasn't a definite one either way. :(

I have an appointment for an engineer to come out next Thursday afternoon. So, I'm supposed to sit at home, taking a day off. :mad:

Advertisement