Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Awful Speeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Freddie59 wrote:
    You must have an additional problem. I'd get them out to have a look.

THey have been out at least 4 times before and have done nothing. Im beginning ti think it is because my pc is so old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

THey have been out at least 4 times before and have done nothing. Im beginning ti think it is because my pc is so old.

How old? Are you using USB or ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

C:\>ping ntl.ie

Ping request could not find host ntl.ie. Please check the name and try again.

im on ntl 6 meg... dublin 2

ping times at peak times im lucky to be getting 1-2meg d/l speeds

speeds generally after 11pm/midnight+ i d/l at roughly 300-500kb/s

ping times in fps games are awful.. (im an mmo geekamoid so cant tell ping..) still play the odd game of tfc or cs when im bored though and ping times to uk servers were 60+ which i soon got fed up of..

considering with Smart 3meg i was getting a consistant 15-20ms ping on any uk server its rather beyond a joke

Routing problems need to be fixed asap, v tempted to goto magnet i must admit, but the other half enjoys the digital tv package and i myself enjoy it to and would not like to give that side of it up.. but to get the higher speed BB with magnet they force me to take on there "tv package" which annoys me greatly i must admit..

I refuse to downgrade to 2mb which is what magnet offer with no tv package, seems anything higher and they try to ram a tv package down my neck, i enjoy my ntl digital with movie channels and decent setup so this is the main thing turning me off greatly about actually moving..

IF they offered there 8 meg service without the tv package i would have moved last month in honesty when i was getting rather annoyed by this whole constant crappy contention ratio and crap speeds i get at peak times.

Freddie59 wrote:
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/opencd/latest/

Downloading the 500 Meg file I got a transfer rate of 240 Kbps (which is just under 2 Megs). And I'm on 2 Megs.:D

90-120kb/s

im on 6 meg as ive said..

seems to be heanet is a problem though? tested other sites and its grand at the moment

as an update to this, i thought after reading the "improved ntl" thread i would go test the old uk tfc and cs servers i used to play on back in the day and i was getting a nice stable ping of 30-33 and no spikes..

first ive ever had that so i guess they have clearly done something regarding the routing problems we were having, how long this lasts im not sure.. i just hope it keeps up as it makes for a far better customer experience when im not looking for another provider through dis-satisfaction every other day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you DO NOT get more speed with the tv package, in fact, it is likely to be slightly less.

get the magnet intro package which is 4mbps/512kbps and no tv, however bare in mind, on this package i get 5mbps/1mbps since the modem is actually connected at 15mbps/1mbps. if you get tv with the 8mb service for isntance, then i believe 4mbps is reserved for tv, and 4mbps left for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

daymobrew wrote:
    This morning it was working grand from 8:30 until 9. Been down since then.
    My outage yesterday (Friday) seems to have been an area-wide one and was fixed by 6pm.
    I rang customer service at 9:30pm, on hold for 14 mins before being allowed to leave a message. That option should be give much earlier, like when you call BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

JNive wrote:
    you DO NOT get more speed with the tv package, in fact, it is likely to be slightly less.

get the magnet intro package which is 4mbps/512kbps and no tv, however bare in mind, on this package i get 5mbps/1mbps since the modem is actually connected at 15mbps/1mbps. if you get tv with the 8mb service for isntance, then i believe 4mbps is reserved for tv, and 4mbps left for broadband.

Cable doesn't work this way at all.

You get the speed you pay for

on cable they are 2 duistinct services, on magnet etc tv is deliver over the broadband,

Also, i cant verify this since i dont have the TV package, that observation was made by another user who used the service, i forget who. However since my modem connects at 15mbps down im not sure about its accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

JNive wrote:
    on cable they are 2 duistinct services, on magnet etc tv is deliver over the broadband,

Also, i cant verify this since i dont have the TV package, that observation was made by another user who used the service, i forget who. However since my modem connects at 15mbps down im not sure about its accuracy.

Aa friend of mine had to get Magnet to up his bandwith cos whenever he was dl'ing loads it affected his tv.
    So they do share the same bandwith.

• Advertisement

his line line might not have been capable of over 10mbps possibly or somthing. The modem has varios QoS and other Prioritisations built-in to it, hence why you cannot alter any settings on it.

but yah since they dont actually state that use of TV will negatively impact your speed available on the broadband, or the other way around then i agree if one is affected by the other, get them to sort you out.

Advertisement