Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest bandwidth in Ireland?

Options
  • 26-11-2006 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Does anyone know what size the highest bandwidth connection you can get in Ireland for a business and who are they?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i think for DSL-related it is 5 or 6mb from Eircom and BT id say.
    you can of course get 6mb from Smart and 8mb from magnet but not sure on their business offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

8Mbps on Metro.
    Or order 2x or 3x connections from whatever supplier and use a fancy cisco box to combine it. (An indivdual IP stream can't go beyond the max on any one connection, but multiple connections are automatically shared)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

!Gbps from the fiber providers - smart, colt, ntl, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Well I need a 10mbps line at least I was advised, to set up voip for a company in Wexford. Don’t think there’s any fiber provider lines as far as I know and it seems 5mbps lines are the highest down here. Can anyone enlighten me if this is possible down here or how I would go about it if so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

wexford county or town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Smart Telecom are currently offering an extra 10Mbps to their corporate customers til the 1st January 2007

wexford town

also remember, if its VoIP then i assume its SDSL or Fibre services you require

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

james123 wrote:
    Well I need a 10mbps line at least I was advised, to set up voip for a company in Wexford. Don’t think there’s any fiber provider lines as far as I know and it seems 5mbps lines are the highest down here. Can anyone enlighten me if this is possible down here or how I would go about it if so?

You could get multiple dsl lines. Your real problem is not really the download speed but the upload which is typically 512Kbps on DSL and also that you need to segregate the VOIP traffic from other internet traffic.

so it would be 1 line for internet traffic and the other for voip?
    what typical upload speed would u need then?
    or would it be possible in wexford as 512kbps upload seems to be to highest i think.

• Advertisement

in general you want 100kbps dedicated/unshared/uncontended up and also down for each VOIP line you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Take a look at e-net's web site (They manage and build the MAN's).

http://www.enet.ie/enetX/common/operator.aspx?countyID=25

Thats a list of providers using the MAN's in Wexford town - you can likely get fiber services from several of these directly from the MAN.

You can check if you are close to the MAN on the Wexford map - http://www.enet.ie/Shared/Business/MAN.aspx?countyID=25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Snaga wrote:
    Take a look at e-net's web site (They manage and build the MAN's).

http://www.enet.ie/enetX/common/operator.aspx?countyID=25

Thats a list of providers using the MAN's in Wexford town - you can likely get fiber services from several of these directly from the MAN.

You can check if you are close to the MAN on the Wexford map - http://www.enet.ie/Shared/Business/MAN.aspx?countyID=25

The list of providers on this site for any particular MAN is more aspirational than real

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

JNive wrote:
    in general you want 100kbps dedicated/unshared/uncontended up and also down for each VOIP line you require.

~100Kbps [closer to 90Kbps] will be needed for full uncompressed G.711 VoIP. You can shave off a lot of that by going with low bit rate codecs like GSM or G.729. Silence Suppression will help a little too.

However, the trade off, is that the voice quality will suffer slightly. It will be like talking on a mobile phone or a little bit better.

The low bit rate codec will take about 15Kbps on average. GSM is less, I think about 10Kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

SeaSide wrote:
    The list of providers on this site for any particular MAN is more aspirational than real

True, many in the list may not yet be offering fiber services direct to customers, still its a good startin point and if his premises is close to the MAN he will definitely be able to get high bandwidth services from someone on the list.

The MAN is certainly there and being used by many corporates/sme's in the area for the past year.

Advertisement