Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Eve - First Steps

Options
  • 26-11-2006 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Hello ;)

I'm downloading the free trial and by the sounds of it I'll be staying. But I have lots of questions.

As I read the players guide I started forming an idea of what kind of character I'd like to play. I like the idea of using a fairly small ship, with really powerful close range weapons, light armor, lots of speed and lots of high tech stuff, like ECM, stealth etc. I'm thinking a bounty hunter of sorts. Zip in, pound the enemy to pieces and keep moving to avoid getting hurt. A bit like the Defiant in star trek I suppose ;)

Obviously I'll be starting out with a crappy little ship with no money, but a man can dream.

So, what race would be good for this? What skills should I aim for? Is the above a workable strategy? What kind of stealth technologies are there?

Is there any sort of corporate espionage, like stealing blueprints and new technology?

I don't like missile weapons, they seem lame to me. Will I be putting myself at a disadvantage by ignoring that weapon type? Whats this war people are talking about?

Finally, I have a request. Would someone like to chaperone me for a while? Maybe give me a few baubles to trade, or a plasma gun you havn't used in months :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Zillah wrote:
    Hello ;)

I'm downloading the free trial and by the sounds of it I'll be staying. But I have lots of questions.

Welcome to eve mighty n00b ;p
    As I read the players guide I started forming an idea of what kind of character I'd like to play. I like the idea of using a fairly small ship, with really powerful close range weapons, light armor, lots of speed and lots of high tech stuff, like ECM, stealth etc. I'm thinking a bounty hunter of sorts. Zip in, pound the enemy to pieces and keep moving to avoid getting hurt. A bit like the Defiant in star trek I suppose ;)

Obviously I'll be starting out with a crappy little ship with no money, but a man can dream.

So, what race would be good for this? What skills should I aim for? Is the above a workable strategy? What kind of stealth technologies are there?

Minmatar tend to go for fast close in fighting afaik if you want to go the small ship route train for an assult frigate and t2 auto cannons they hurt -_- as for stealth theres cloaking device's you can train for and buy but you would be giveing up a high slot (guns) to use it.
    Is there any sort of corporate espionage, like stealing blueprints and new technology?

You could join a corp gain their trust and steal from them but you will be hated for it rightfuly
    I don't like missile weapons, they seem lame to me. Will I be putting myself at a disadvantage by ignoring that weapon type? Whats this war people are talking about?

As a caldari missiles are teh win but no you wont be missing out on anything blance is decent enough and you can always just train them in time if need's be most combat happens pritty close anyway
    Finally, I have a request. Would someone like to chaperone me for a while? Maybe give me a few baubles to trade, or a plasma gun you havn't used in months :D

Could throw you a few isk if your on eve now tell me your name

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cool, thanks! I'm not up and running yet but I'll bug you when I am ;)
    Bizmark wrote:
    You could join a corp gain their trust and steal from them but you will be hated for it rightfuly

Aw, thats disappointing. I love the idea of using a cloaked ship to infiltrate a research lab and get away with the plans for a cool new battleship.

And then sell it for millions! :D

Is it feasible to have speed be your primary defense? I like the idea of having no chance of taking on the bigger ships, but being pretty much guaranteed to be able to give them the slip and get on with my own business.

Zillah wrote:
    Cool, thanks! I'm not up and running yet but I'll bug you when I am ;)

Aw, thats disappointing. I love the idea of using a cloaked ship to infiltrate a research lab and get away with the plans for a cool new battleship.

And then sell it for millions! :D

Is it feasible to have speed be your primary defense? I like the idea of having no chance of taking on the bigger ships, but being pretty much guaranteed to be able to give them the slip and get on with my own business.

Well the faster you go the harder it is for guns to track you or missiles to hit you also your sig radius plays a part if its small (say a frigate) then large guns/heavy missiles will either miss you or hit you for reduced damage however as with most things in eve its possible to counter speed by fitting a webber to slow the fast ship but they have limited range so as long as you careful its possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jaysonia

dont listen to bizmark he's a uber noob. but you want a fast ship that does good damage i would say go minmatar and get a jaguar (its an assault frig) or go for interceptors there damn fast and hard to hit.

jaysonia wrote:
    dont listen to bizmark he's a uber noob. but you want a fast ship that does good damage i would say go minmatar and get a jaguar (its an assault frig) or go for interceptors there damn fast and hard to hit.

Dont listen to me but you give him the same advice ;p one day your frozen corpse shall be mine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jaysonia

bizmark wrote:
    Dont listen to me but you give him the same advice ;p one day your frozen corpse shall be mine ;)

i was messing. but yeah your advice was good for what he wanted to do. even though you dont even fly or know anything other than caldari :D

jaysonia wrote:
    i was messing. but yeah your advice was good for what he wanted to do. even though you dont even fly or know anything other than caldari :D

I have lvl 5 guess work trained ;p

Plus iv seen stabbers cyclones and the likes been flown by gneeznow so i know what they are about

caldari ftw all the same

Having done a little bit of research, I wonder. What the devil is a Tech II type ship and how do I get one? I assmume they cost insane amounts and have horrible skill requirements?

Zillah wrote:
    Having done a little bit of research, I wonder. What the devil is a Tech II type ship and how do I get one? I assmume they cost insane amounts and have horrible skill requirements?

Nailed it ;p they are better ships/mod's that cost a lot more than their t1 brother's plus take a while to train for but for your trouble give you more firepower/damage resistence/power/speed etc than their t1 bro's

I want one of these :Dhttp://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=400372

A mere 8 weeks construction time and a paltry couple billion ISK.

I am seriously staggered by the scale of this game. I want I want I want.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    I want one of these :Dhttp://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=400372

A mere 8 weeks construction time and a paltry couple billion ISK.

I am seriously staggered by the scale of this game. I want I want I want.

Took something like 9 months for that 1 titan to be built its a huge undertakeing Bob has one now as well

Im off to bed anyway when/if you get on eve pm me your name and ill convo you help you out a bit :)

bizmark wrote:
    Im off to bed anyway when/if you get on eve pm me your name and ill convo you help you out a bit :)

I will, thanks :)

I have another hour in work (night shift...:rolleyes:), then I'll go home and start the install.

I'm torn on what race to choose. I love the look of the Caldari ships, nice and military gunmetal style. But missiles really don't appeal to me. And the Minmatar (Sibestors) are very cool, but apparently their ships are clunky and ugly looking, and appearances are something very important in a game like this.

Torn I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Anyone have a spare trial key? I wouldn't mind giving EVE a try, if only to see if it lives up to the hype :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Mixie wrote:
    Anyone have a spare trial key? I wouldn't mind giving EVE a try, if only to see if it lives up to the hype :D
    Me too, WoW is getting a bit boring now.

Go here ya spanners: https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?sk=GHELL. If ya can't get that far you won't last long in a game like Eve methinks :D

I say we form our own elite fighting squad of terrified noobs. We can gang up on honest tradesmen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

eve will come as a severe culture shock to those used to playing wow.

if you die, you are dead and lose anything you had with you.
    if your clone isnt up to date then you lose any experience over the clones capacity (ie my clone has 15 million skill point limit if i have 20 million skillpoints i lose 5 million or roughly 5 months xp)
    nowhere is safe.
    scamming other players as long as you dont use an exploit is perfectly legal and the admins will laugh at your misfortune.

zillah it sounds like you want a bit of everything, you cant really have that im afraid :)

if you want small and fast go for interceptors
    if you want small and powerfull go for assault frigates
    if you want extreme range on a smaller ship go for heavy assault cruisers (word of advice a single HAC can set you back over 200 million monies and thats not including the weapons)

Money early on is extremely hard to come by and rightly so, it makes being a more experienced player worth it.

dont trust anyone unless you know them and even then warch your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Mixie wrote:
    You don't need a trial key, just go to the site and they will email you an activation code, no need for a credit card.

Oh and minnies FTW!

jaggeh wrote:
    dont trust anyone unless you know them and even then warch your back.

Ah dont be all paranoid on the lad in my year and a bit of playing eve i have never been scamed and have only met helpful people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Hah, I vote we rename this thread to "Adopt a noob"

its still a powerful lesson to learn and very easy to fall to any number of scams/death traps etc.

• Advertisement

Right! I'm all set up.

Character's name is Xiao Xi (those Japanese looking fellows. A girl actually, the male model looked fat and silly :)). I went with Gallente, a compromise between stats and ship appearance. I like the hybrid weapons. I'm currently fecking around killing pirates and doing the tutorial/post tutorial missions. Eve-mail me or something if you want to say hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Zillah wrote:
    Go here ya spanners: https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?sk=GHELL. If ya can't get that far you won't last long in a game like Eve methinks :D

I say we form our own elite fighting squad of terrified noobs. We can gang up on honest tradesmen :)

Oops, my bad. I read the FAQ on their site and it says to get a buddy to request a code. Cheers for the link!
    Ivan wrote:
    Hah, I vote we renamed this threat to "Adopt a noob"

Shoosh you! :D Are you playing EVE too / I thought you'd left and gone back to WoW?

Waiting on parts for old PC / new PC to arrive before I give it a try, whichever comes first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lord Suave

As I continue my baby steps in eve I'm just wondering about the benfit in training the various 'learning' skills upfront before getting down to the nut and bolts skills that kill things. Do people think its worth doing in the early stages of the game or better left til a bit later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

You don't need to get learning skills straight off. Learn some of the basic skills first. Rank 4 and below train them to level 4, then get your basic learning skills. I have 3 mill in learning alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Zillah wrote:
    Right! I'm all set up.

Character's name is Xiao Xi (those Japanese looking fellows. A girl actually, the male model looked fat and silly :)). I went with Gallente, a compromise between stats and ship appearance. I like the hybrid weapons. I'm currently fecking around killing pirates and doing the tutorial/post tutorial missions. Eve-mail me or something if you want to say hi.

Ah a good choice of race, work your way up to an "incursus" they are a good ship. Remember that Gall armor tank and that you should stick with blasters on close range ships such as frigates.

If you are tired of waiting for the skills to go up get an "imicus" and mine a bit.

But in all seriousness remember to complete the tutorial frst, then after that have a look in the recruit channel for a first corp. Corps are like guilds and they think nothing of giving free stuff away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Think I'll jump on this bandwagon (or would that be space freighter). It better not be too addictive...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

The best thing about eve is that your skills are purchased and trained even when you are not there. So the only thing you do while online is play.

tba wrote:
    Ah a good choice of race, work your way up to an "incursus" they are a good ship. Remember that Gall armor tank and that you should stick with blasters on close range ships such as frigates.

They like armor tanking, yes, but that doesn't mean you have to. I'm gonna save up for one of those nifty stealth ships. I love the idea of a cloaked pirate... :D

Although yeah, I'll probably have to upgrade a couple times before that. They are several tens of millions.
    If you are tired of waiting for the skills to go up get an "imicus" and mine a bit.

That had occured to me, do some mining so I'm not constantly racing against the pirate threat level. What skills are handy for mining, or is mining itself all you need?
    But in all seriousness remember to complete the tutorial frst, then after that have a look in the recruit channel for a first corp. Corps are like guilds and they think nothing of giving free stuff away.

I'm toying with the idea of joining the new something awful corp. I LOVE the ingame channels, especially the rookie channel. Its great being able to chat and ask questions as they come up or to kill time between systems.

Oh, and my stats ended up being 11 Perception and 7 for EVERYTHING else. Am I spread too thin? Seems to be working ok. Whatever options I chose, I started with 5 gunnery. Or I accidently trained it to 5 at the very start. Either way, hybrid turrets all the way baby.

Zillah wrote:
    They like armor tanking, yes, but that doesn't mean you have to. I'm gonna save up for one of those nifty stealth ships. I love the idea of a cloaked pirate... :D

The skill time investment for them is quite substantial, ive been playing 18 months and only recently finished what i need to FLY stealth ships, im training cruise missiles now for the stealth bomber, but until my skills are ready i wont be setting foot in a cloaker as a decent cloaking device costs about 10 times the cost of the ship.

i have 3.4m points in drones (all tech 2 :)) to tide me over while i rebuild my broken bank account. now if only i could get tech 2 heavies in Feyth :(
    Zillah wrote:
    Oh, and my stats ended up being 11 Perception and 7 for EVERYTHING else. Am I spread too thin? Seems to be working ok. Whatever options I chose, I started with 5 gunnery. Or I accidently trained it to 5 at the very start. Either way, hybrid turrets all the way baby.

You have pretty much gimped yourself, my character ended with 6 charisma, 7 perception and willpower and then 10 and 11 memory and intelligence. im really feeling the pinch now with lower perception and willpower as my gunenry skills/ship skills are taking 4 or 5 days longer than my other skills.

i did up a template for my flatmate which had him end with close to 10 all round, means he is going to have a huge advantage over me in learning speed. (wish i could get my hands on a full +6 set :))

The formula for learning is very simple (if you are good at maths)
    Learning at 5 gives you a 10% boost to your attributes (ie intelligence 10 = 11)
    well here it is
    to get your attribute 
    ( Base + Basic_Skill_Lv + Adv_Skill_Lv + Implant_Bonus ) * ( 1+ ( Learning_Lv * 0.02 ) )
    to find out how long your training is
    ( SP_Needed - Current_SP ) / ( Pri_Attrib + ( Sec_Attrib / 2 ) )

• Advertisement

Uh, you say I gimped myself and then go on to talk about your own stats. How so am I so ruined?

Advertisement