Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El-Hadji Diouf admits to conning referees

• 26-11-2006 6:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Bolton's El-Hadji Diouf has admitted to diving but says he is not alone in conning referees.

The Senegal international striker, 25, claims he is just being "very clever" when he dives in the area in a bid to win a penalty.

Diouf said: "It's not just me who dives. If you see Wayne Rooney, how often does he dive to get a penalty?

"Sometimes I need to dive to have a penalty. It's just football. The best footballer is very clever like that."

Diouf claims his "bad boy" reputation means his actions draw more attention and vitriol that his Premiership peers.

"Sometimes I dive because I move my foot before the guy comes in to break my leg. Sometimes I get a free-kick, sometimes I don't," he added.

Diving is a problem that can be sorted out by players having a stern word with their team-mates

"The problem is sometimes the referees are not very good with me, I've had penalties and not been given them.

"I've won some penalties like that, but how many penalties has Rooney won and nothing is ever said about him? But it is when it's me.

"Everybody thinks I am a bad boy. I have a bad reputation everywhere in the world.

"I know that, but what is important for me is that the people I am working with - Sam Allardyce, the staff and the other players - know I am a nice lad.

"It is just that I have a bad reputation. I like being booed, though, and I usually do something early in the game to get people booing me."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/6183100.stm

He dives, he spits, he cheats, he plays for Bolton and scores crap goals then annoys the **** out of everyone with his stupid celebrations...

Does the guy have any redeeming qualities?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He only stating the obvious. This is actually the only time i would say fair play to him for saying it, he is spot on.

i still cant stand him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kinaldo wrote:

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

How the hell do Bolton supporters put up with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

kinaldo wrote:

Yes, he's not immortal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

He is the most ignorant fucking cunt around. If I was playing against him and he spat at me i'd spread his nose across his face. He needs the Zidane treatment good and proper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

kinaldo wrote:
    How the hell do Bolton supporters put up with him?

He's just so obviously dislikeable that some fans grow a certain endearment for him and his hilarious amount of misdemeanors. After all, this is the same old Dioufy who didn't pay his tv license despite being on £40,000 a week and who applied for legal aid to fight one of his spitting cases. Successfully[i/].

"Bob Russell, MP for Colchester and the Liberal Democrat spokesman on sport, said: "I am appalled and equally appalled at the arrogance of the man to have the gall to ask for legal aid. "We all know the law is an ass but we did not expect it to be as bad as this.
    "It beggars belief that he had the nerve to ask for it. Clearly he is a man with no pride.""

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/4579265.stm

Ah Diouf, you old rogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I hate Bolton so very much, but I do agree that Diouf is so unlikeable he's gone beyond unlikeability; it's just funny at this stage.

Bolton are yet to become funny. Stupid Anelka, stupid Kevin Nolan, stupid Kevin Davies, stupid Sam Allardyce. Ack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mark wrote:
    He's just so obviously dislikeable that some fans grow a certain endearment for him and his hilarious amount of misdemeanors. After all, this is the same old Dioufy who didn't pay his tv license despite being on £40,000 a week and who applied for legal aid to fight one of his spitting cases. Successfully[i/].

Ah Diouf, you old rogue.

Thats a good point actually, he's like one of the baddies in wrestling that everyone still cheers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

[QUOTE=kinaldo Does the guy have any redeeming qualities?[/QUOTE]

I suppose admitting to what many of his fellow pros deny doing, but do do, is a redeeming feature.

:D "do do"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He's no worse than Francesco Totti, and everyone seems to love him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's no worse than Francesco Totti, and everyone seems to love him.
    I don't think many like Totti as a person, he's just one of the most talented footballers in the world.

Not a bad dancer either:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYFSm7_XKA

:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Love him or hate him. He's very entertaining.

That is coming from a Man United fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Personally I can't stand him, anything about him. Like most I hate and despise diving. That said, why are we all up in arms over him talking about the diving like this? We don't like it but we all know that he speaks the truth. He does it and so do many other players do it. What if anything he is doing is bringing light to it so hopefully it will bring it more out in the open and thus help to eradicate it.

Advertisement