Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ken Kennedy thoughts

• 26-11-2006 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

I just wondered what everyones thoughts are on him.

When he first came in I really liked him. His segments were always humorous and did/does have a presence about him.

However, his promos with the Undertaker, at least for me are just plain okay and I was disappointed with them. There's nothing that really made them standout as being as a great heel.

Plus as a wrestler, he's just been average the whole time. I mean when you have a 15 minute match with Benoit and its just okay, there is something wrong there.

In saying all that, he is over.

So I guess the jury is still out on him for me and wondered what others thought.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

future of smackdown ... i tink

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slamman

I have been watching smackdown less and less lately since they lost Angle,J.B.L.,Big show,Benoit(for a few months) etc.Now Kennedy is one of the few reasons to watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I think kennedy is brilliant. he ie the future of the wwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭d1sc0g1rl

Kennedy is the future of not just smackdown but of sports entertainment.Brilliant on the mic, brilliant at doing promos,brilliant in the ring and he just happens to be the most gorgeous guy ever even in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

d1sc0g1rl wrote:
    Kennedy is the future of not just smackdown but of sports entertainment.Brilliant on the mic, brilliant at doing promos,brilliant in the ring and he just happens to be the most gorgeous guy ever even in person.

I knew you'd have something to say!

Most of what you've said is definitely arguable and possibly true.

However, he's along way from being brilliant in the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree with you Vince. I think the jury's still out on him. At first I didn't really take to him but then I became impressed with his charisma and I thought his appearance on Byte This was hilarious. Then he got that injury though and since he's come back I don't think he's been anything special by any means.

I really don't get the love people are heaping on the guy. I've not been wowed by any of his matches. In my personal opinion Carlito is more talented and charismatic than Kennedy as well as being more over yet he's not even on Survivor Series this year. :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see what happens with Kennedy against Taker as it's a big moment for him to make an impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While i agree on the comments made about his in ring work, he's done good but nothing fantastic. On the promo side though i think he' suffered from his feud with Taker, i mean what exactly can you say in promos about Undertaker that wont be rebuffed a week later with smoke/lightning/promises of REST.....IN.......PEACE. It's the same feud Taker's been having with people for the past 5 years just with different people, i'm not saying it's his fault but they know that Taker has this unbelievable stern following that will be amazed by him no matter how many litres of dry ice they use for his entrance.

Kennedy has done well in his promo's, no worse than Orton did in his feud with Taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I liked him at first, he had a good charisma about him, seemed very comfortable wherever he was. He was just brilliant on Byte This, I was laughin nearly non-stop for an hour at him. I haven't seen a whole lot of him in the ring, and what I have seen hasn't been much to rave about. Actually, about half of the matches I've seen him in have been in WWE and the other half have been from before that, on Velocity and in TNA and OVW. And I haven't seen any sort of improvement, which you would probably expect given that he's on tv worldwide now

I caught a bit of SD this week, Kendrick and Regal grabbed my attention while I was flickin through the channels (awesome match by the way), and I watched a bit of Kennedy's promo after the match. It seemed to drag on and on, and the clips from his promos in the last few weeks certainly didn't seem special at all. It was just him sayin he'd beat Taker, no thought put into it. Especially one line, he said something like "Undertaker, you say that it's your yard. Well, it's my yard now". And that was it! No backing up his statement, so it meant absolutely nothing. And considering how good I thought he was on Byte This, I'd imagine it's the creative teams fault more so than his, since they seem to give the wrestlers the exact lines to say, which wouldn't have been the case on Byte This

So, my thoughts are that Kennedy has the potential to be one of the best on the mic in WWE, if he does his own work. And he does have the potential to improve in the ring, but I don't think it's happened yet

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I'm still hot and cold with Kennedy. The self ring introduction is somebit original but the "Kennedy......Kennedy" bit just annoys me! When you think about it his first "feud" was with Tony Chimel :D I can see JBL helping to make him even more over (their promo at the Point was quite good). Well that's my .02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Jay-Jay

[/QUOTE]Plus as a wrestler, he's just been average the whole time. I mean when you have a 15 minute match with Benoit and its just okay, there is something wrong there.[/QUOTE]

Benoit is Very boring the fact that Benoit beat kennedy with his three suplexes is ridiculous. people on this board should shut up about their boring favourite wrestlers e.g carlito,benoit etc.people should respect ken kennedy......kennedy.

• Advertisement

jay-jay you are dead right.benoit is really boring.When he was fighting ken was the only time i didn't fall asleep during one of his matches

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Jay-Jay wrote:
    Plus as a wrestler, he's just been average the whole time. I mean when you have a 15 minute match with Benoit and its just okay, there is something wrong there.[/QUOTE]

Benoit is Very boring the fact that Benoit beat kennedy with his three suplexes is ridiculous. people on this board should shut up about their boring favourite wrestlers e.g carlito,benoit etc.people should respect ken kennedy......kennedy.[/QUOTE]

Benoit and boring dont deserve to be in the same sentence. :mad:

Are yous being serious? Granted, I haven't seen a Benoit match in a good few months at this stage, but I really doubt his performances have dropped that much.. Benoit is one of the best wrestlers to ever perform

How is Benoit One of The Best Wrestlers He is Past his Days.You Have to Focus on the Rising Stars Such as Mr. Kennedy...Kennedy,Cm Punk,Helms And Johnny Nitro.Everyone always says how John Cena only does 5 moves,look at Benoit he only does 4 moves (the Headbutt,Crossface,Three Amigos and The Sharpshooter) At least Ken Kennedy Does Loads Of Moves.

That's kinda funny, because apart from Kennedy, the wrestlers you mentioned are guys who I think are very very good. But it's nothing to do with how many moves a wrestler uses. I think people say that about Cena because it's an easy target. What makes a good wrestler is how, when and why he does what he does. Benoit does that to near perfection most of the time, no matter how many moves he brings into play

Anyone that thinks Benoit is boring shouldn't be watching wrestling. Its obviously not for them.

2 weeks ago this very night Smackdown were at the Point. And in a night that was big on stalling with little to write home about, Chavo Guerrero and Chris Benoit had a really good 10 minute match that put everything else to shame.

ken is a very good wrestler.it's just he hasn't been able to prove it because the wwe keep putting him in feuds with boring wrestlers.ken will prove how good he is tonight at survivor series.i just hope ken's match comes before benoit's because i might sleep through it after another boring match from benoit :Z

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if you just want storyline watch a soap opera, if you want to see wrestling watch Chris Benoit.

Ken Kennedy = Great potential

his self introduction is nice to and will give him more opportunities than most on the mic

Benoit boring? That's like saying Big Show is too small.
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    Benoit is Very boring the fact that Benoit beat kennedy with his three suplexes is ridiculous. people on this board should shut up about their boring favourite wrestlers e.g carlito,benoit etc.people should respect ken kennedy......kennedy

And what moves does Ken Kennedy have exactly? A scoop slam?

Funny how all this love is being heaped on Ken Kennedy yet people can't seem to justify why this should be the case.

Kennedy = the David Beckham of pro wrestling. Quite average really yet adored by so many for no apparent reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

It's clear that a lot of people are divided over Ken Kennedy's in ring abilty, when I first saw him back when he came to the WWE he was quite good, the matches had a good flow and his finisher was impressive enough. I haven't seen him since, so I can't comment about now. But the general consensus is that his mic skills are great and he has genuine charisma. But it's a bad idea for him to feud with taker, a fued with Carlito woukd be great, where they could work off each other's comments. The match itself wouldn't be half bad either imo.
    Anyone that thinks Benoit is boring shouldn't be watching wrestling. Its obviously not for them.

A tad elitist perhaps? Everyone has a right to their own opinion and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

OMG I can't believe all this talk about Benoit being 'boring'. In my opinion, he is quite simply the best wrestler in WWE today and im sure that he's in the top 10 wrestlers in the world. I get the impression that the people bad mouthing Benoit watch WWE mostly for the 'show'. You know, the type that would go nuts when Cena performs his 'electrifying' 5 knuckle shuffle (worst move in wrestling in my humble opinion) etc. The thing that makes Benoit great is that he doesnt have a character, he just goes out there every week and wrestles. Simply wrestles. Thats not to say however that I would like him to be better on the mic, I would but I would still like him to retain the idea that he is simply a great wrestler and not be all gimmicky and stuff.
    In conclusion, Benoit FTW!

[QUOTE=Kennedy = the David Beckham of pro wrestling. Quite average really yet adored by so many for no apparent reason...[/QUOTE]

MOD note: use spoiler tags next time you are going to ruin results for other people

kyp_durron wrote:

A tad elitist perhaps? Everyone has a right to their own opinion and all that.

Normally I would agree. Benoit is an exception.

I stand by it. If somebody thinks when they are watching Smackdown that Chris Benoit is a boring wrestler, well then wrestling as a form of entertainment/sport isn't for them. Your not gonna find much better in 2006 than him. Except maybe for Ken (note the sarcasm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

5 knuckle shuffle (worst move in wrestling in my humble opinion)
    I dont think so remember essa rios used to do this basically an armbar off the ropes but he used to bounce and do tricks on the ropes before doing it, WHY its an armbar. Also what i don't get is the spinebuster most people get straight up from it but sometimes people are down for a good while from it eg the rock bottom he did a spinebuster then took off his shoulder pad then ran to the 2 ropes it took about 20 seconds and the guy was still down same with Batista he beat someone on Smackdown recently using the spinebuster:confused: .

Sorry off topic I know but back on. I like Kennedy's mic work but that's pretty much it, whats his finisher or does he have one?

Normally I would agree. Benoit is an exception.

I stand by it. If somebody thinks when they are watching Smackdown that Chris Benoit is a boring wrestler, well then wrestling as a form of entertainment/sport isn't for them. Your not gonna find much better in 2006 than him. Except maybe for Ken (note the sarcasm).
    oh come on there are loads more better wresters then boring (sorry benoit) he's past his sell buy date.

right i think everyone should shut up about benoit and lets talk about mr kennedy.....kennedy i think kennedy is the next rock his entrance and style is kinda the same as the rock e.g his mr.kennedy announcing thing is kinda the same is the rocks 'finally the rock has come back to wherever he is in' i think he is gonna be one of the main guys in the future

d1sc0g1rl wrote:
    oh come on there are loads more better wresters then boring (sorry benoit) he's past his sell buy date.

Please start a thread with a list of all the wrestlers in your opinion are better than Benoit. I'd like to see it.

mod note: stop with the personal abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Use spoiler tags and stop the personal abuse or im deleting this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Reganio 2 wrote:
    I dont think so remember essa rios used to do this basically an armbar off the ropes but he used to bounce and do tricks on the ropes before doing it, WHY its an armbar.
    Well you see, the thing is there is that that move was athletically impressive whereas the 5 knuckle shuffle is something I could do. But....I wont. I can see where your coming from however: moves that are over dramatised. Sure Ill just start a thread on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I would be a big Kennedy smark, but the stuff written by the other smarks here makes me feel damn ashamed.

As far as wrestlers go, you won't find any better on Smackdown! than Benoit. Most people would accept this as a given.

Kennedy is a great sports-entertainer. That isn't to say he isn't a decent wrestler (I haven't seen enough of him to judge, but the Green Bay Plunge is a good finisher and his body language and facial expressions are spot-on), but I doubt he'd be getting the attention he has based on his ability to chain-wrestle.

I pity anyone who has to feud with 'Taker these days. His feud with Orton was horribly boring, with proper promos and match psychology being replaced by gore-fests. A rivalry with someone like Matt Hardy could produce some really good matches, but if its ratings they're looking for (and, lets face it, it is) a Kennedy-Batista fight would be good viewing.

Its also interesting to note that the former future of the WWE, Carlito, has had his spot well and truly usurped by Jeff Hardy on RAW. Could someone like MVP steal Kennedy's spot as most amusing heel on Smackdown!?

Kennedy is a great sports-entertainer. That isn't to say he isn't a decent wrestler (I haven't seen enough of him to judge, but the Green Bay Plunge is a good finisher and his body language and facial expressions are spot-on), but I doubt he'd be getting the attention he has based on his ability to chain-wrestle.

But I dont't think he is. I'm not asking him to be Chris Benoit in the ring. He's just kinda there.

Like I said earlier, I thought he was really entertaining when he first came in acting all goofy. It was fun.

I just don't buy him as a serious bad guy with his promos. There is nothing original or believable about them for someone who has clearly talent on the mic. Not Roddy Piper mic talent. But he's good.

But I dont't think he is. I'm not asking him to be Chris Benoit in the ring. He's just kinda there.

Like I said earlier, I thought he was really entertaining when he first came in acting all goofy. It was fun.

I just don't buy him as a serious bad guy with his promos. There is nothing original or believable about them for someone who has clearly talent on the mic. Not Roddy Piper mic talent. But he's good.
    And benoit is so original i mean does he even have a personality

d1sc0g1rl wrote:
    And benoit is so original i mean does he even have a personality

Just out of interest, can you not explain your fascination with Ken Kennedy without resorting to Benoit bashing?

It's rather revealing that your comeback to Vince's points is yet another diatribe on Benoit. :rolleyes:

just a little article i found on the internet that i thought i'll post up here

JR SAYS ....

"I am a major fan of Mr. Kennedy. He reminds me of a young "Stunning Steve" Austin for some reason. Kennedy has a significant upside if he can avoid all the usual pitfalls such as injuries, bad health, discovering and living in his comfort zone, and not staying motivated."

Now thats some compliment from a one of the greatest sports entertainment commentators in the history of the business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

d1sc0g1rl wrote:
    just a little article i found on the internet that i thought i'll post up here

JR SAYS ....

"I am a major fan of Mr. Kennedy. He reminds me of a young "Stunning Steve" Austin for some reason. Kennedy has a significant upside if he can avoid all the usual pitfalls such as injuries, bad health, discovering and living in his comfort zone, and not staying motivated."

Now thats some compliment from a one of the greatest sports entertainment commentators in the history of the business.

firstly thats JRs opinion.He states that HE is a big fan and that doesnt mean that every commentator in wrestling thinks of him the same.
    Secondly just because he reminds him austin doesnt mean that he will become anywhere as big as austin became.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

d1sc0g1rl wrote:
    JR SAYS ....
    "I am a major fan of Mr. Kennedy.
    Thats where the downfall is he says "I am a major fan" this means nothing in fairness. I am a major fan of Jeff Hardy but I know he is not the best wrestler in the world or even near it. That makes the rest of his opinions though as well. I like Kennedy but I dont think he is a great WRESTLER.

fatal wrote:
    firstly thats JRs opinion.He states that HE is a big fan and that doesnt mean that every commentator in wrestling thinks of him the same.
    Secondly just because he reminds him austin doesnt mean that he will become anywhere as big as austin became.
    Yeah well you saying kennedy is crap that is your opinion.And I know that just because JR said he is a fan it doesn't mean every commentator thinks the same WHO said it did?

fatal wrote:

Stone Cold wrestled a very different style to what Stunning Steve Austin did, so obviously if Kennedy wants to become as big as him he'll have to break his neck and shave his head first of all

Fozzy wrote:
    Stone Cold wrestled a very different style to what Stunning Steve Austin did, so obviously if Kennedy wants to become as big as him he'll have to break his neck and shave his head first of all

apologies I misread the quote and presumed he said stone cold instead of stunning steve

• Advertisement

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=MR.Kennedy+Tribute+By+Jay-Jay&search=Search

this video says it all i made it myself
    i think you have to press the search button on the top for it to play

Jay-Jay wrote:

Looks like a bunch of pictures to me with some **** music playing in the background........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Jay-Jay wrote:

WTF? All that video did was waste a minute of my day (and bear in mind, I actually like Kennedy!).

fatal wrote:
    Looks like a bunch of pictures to me with some **** music playing in the background........

thats what its supposed to be a SLIDESHOW in the words of matt striker ''if you don't know what that means Look it Up!''.

It's been removed...

fatal wrote:

thats the music you listen to

Heres The Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIqajNkGGc

Ah, looks like I'm too late, would've loved to have seen that! Haha

That is f****** brilliant jay-jay. much better then that link they put up on benoit a few weeks ago.ALL HAIL KING JAY-JAY:D

Since it's Christmas and all I'll be polite and simply say that the video is not really my thing. :D
    d1sc0g1rl wrote:
    That is f****** brilliant jay-jay. much better then that link they put up on benoit a few weeks ago.ALL HAIL KING JAY-JAY:D

OK you HAVE to be Jay-Jay surely?

Since it's Christmas and all I'll be polite and simply say that the video is not really my thing. :D

OK you HAVE to be Jay-Jay surely?
    oh don't be polite mr.nice guy you geting really boring you must be watching too much of chris beniot:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement