Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Broadband and wireless router....

Options
  • 26-11-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, really weird problem... Bit of background first:

I have Chorus cablenet broadband, and for the last few weeks its been hooked up to a Belkin wireless router. Practically zero setup and wireless has worked fine for getting the broadband around the house. Last week though, it mysteriously stopped working. This is what I've found:

-Internet works fine when cable modem is directly connected to any computer, and the cable modem admin page is accessible at 192.168.100.1
    -When router is attached to cable modem, none of the computers attached to the router (both wired and wireless) can access the internet, or the cable modem admin page for that matter. Can access the router admin page no problem, and it says that the internet is connected fine, even though none of the computers can access the internet
    -Interesting bit: when I plug out the coaxial cable from the back of the cable modem (thus disconnecting the cable modem from the chorus network), I can now access the cable modem admin page at 192.168.100.1 via the router. But the minute I plug back in the coaxial cable, I can no longer access the admin page, or connect to the internet either
    -I've tried a few different brands of router, changed all the cables, tried out a few different PCs and Macs, power cycled the router, the modem, the PCs, the toaster etc etc

So it seems that the cable modem, when it connects to the chorus network, locks up the modem or something.... I've called up Chorus about this, but they really don't have a clue whats going on. They don't support router problems anyway. They even swapped the cable modem for me, but the problem persists. I've googled this issue and seen mention of MAC address cloning, but I've tried this a couple of times but it doesn't make a difference. Anyway, it was working fine before, so what changed? Is this a problem at the chorus side of things??

Summary: chorus cablenet works when modem is directly connected to a PC, but not via the router, even though the router is set up perfectly and has worked previously. Problem seems to occur at the point when the modem connects to the chorus network.

Can anybody help??? This has been going on for a week...

Thanks guys

By the way, this is an error message that appears in the cable modem log:
    1970-01-01 00:00:22 3-Critical D002.0 DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No response 
    1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical D001.0 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

1970-01-01 00:00:22 3-Critical D002.0 DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No response 
    1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical D001.0 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

Does your modem have an option to "Clone MAC Address"? If so, disconnect everything from the router except one PC that you know works with Chorus, and "clone" that PCs address. Then, when the router tries to do a DHCP request, it will be using that PCs MAC address, rather than it's own, and that may resolve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hey foxwood, cheers for the response, but yeah I've tried that already. Pretty stumped about this one now but I'm almost certain that its something funny on the Chorus end. If I don't get it sorted in the next week I'll have to cancel the contract. Broadband isn't too handy if you can't share it around the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

this has happened to me before, and seems to last until early the next business day which leads me to believe its a chorus issue.

i think its happened 3 times to date. However its worth changing your router to 10.0.0.1 perhaps, so its a different range to the modem, also try leaving the cable modem powered down for 30 minutes and then boot up again, yah never know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try a different product to Belkin. make sure it is a ethernet WAN router with a ethernet port instead of a dsl port. A DSL router wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

as he said it worked before and is only now having an issue, much like it occured with my Netgear WGR614, my suspicion is its an issue with their modem as opposed to the router, while the problem occured, at the times i was able to access the modem webpage, most of the time it failed at Upstream Ranging, the step before the DHCP request. OTher times it stuck at the DHCP request part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Are you privately assigning IP addresses for your PCs through the router? Or are you just using the router as a dumb gateway to pull IP addresses from Chorus? Perhaps you are trying to pull too many IP addresses and this is creating a conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Are you privately assigning IP addresses for your PCs through the router? Or are you just using the router as a dumb gateway to pull IP addresses from Chorus? Perhaps you are trying to pull too many IP addresses and this is creating a conflict?

Nope, the router is dynamically assigning IP addresses in the range 192.168.2.x How would you use the router as a dumb gateway, just out of interest?
    JNive wrote:
    i think its happened 3 times to date. However its worth changing your router to 10.0.0.1 perhaps, so its a different range to the modem, also try leaving the cable modem powered down for 30 minutes and then boot up again, yah never know :-)

I might try changing the router to 10.0.0.1 later on, I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, I powered down the modem for about 48 hours over the weekend while I was away to try to "rejig" the connection, but no luck. The problem has been going on for about 9 days now.

Thanks for the suggestion watty but I've tried a Netgear router and also a Linksys router (Actually, Linksys is the only officially supported router, according to the Chorus guys).

Chorus tech support are still shrugging their shoulders on this one I'm afraid. Cheers to all for the suggestions so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cablewalla

Hi I know I'm coming to this a bit late, but have you checked to see if the Router is aquiring the Public IP address. The PC is obviously getting the Public IP address, and it should transfer to the Router and the Router issues IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.1. You may need to reboot the Modem and the Router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Hello

I have been experiencing very similar problems with my home network. I also use Chorus Cablenet broadband and am based in Cork. I have a D-Link 624+ Wireless Router, 2 pcs are connected via Ethernet and one laptop connects wirelessly. Until about 2 months or so ago there were no issues whatsoever but now I am experiencing similar problems to the ones you describe.

When accessing the internet with cable modem going through the router every single webpage viewed needs to be refreshed a number of times before it shows up. The first few attempts to display a webpage gives the 'server not found' error. When I connect the cable modem directly to a PC there are no issues - webpages do not need to be refreshed.

These issues seemed to coincide with Chorus getting together with NTL and the new/old network infrastructure that is being used for Chorus customers.

I can still use the net but it is an absolute pain in the you-know-what for me and me housemates to have to constantly refresh webpages before they can be viewed.

Another issue which has cropped up for the past 3 weeks or so is that the connection goes altogether maybe every 2 days or so. I find the only way to resolve this is by powering down my router, then my cable modem, then powering up router followed by powering up cable modem. The modem then seems to acquire a new IP address and the router picks this up.

I had considered buying a new router but after reading this post realise that this will probably not resolve the issue.

jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sorry for bringing up a zombie thread, but I'm having the exact problems as the OP since yesterday, namely, a Belkin router that's hooked up to a chorus cable modem and is no longer responding. Still can access the internet when hooked up to modem directly. This would happen the odd time and would usually be fixed by turning everything on and off; I'd nearly always have to do this when first using another device such as an ipod or the xbox that's hooked up to the router. This no longer works. One thing I can't understand is when both are hooked up - and not connecting to the net- the wireless light is flashing like crazy. If anybody has any ideas I'd be greatful. My technical knowledge of broadband stuff is embarrassing so laymans language if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement