Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats UCD'S favourite Christmas Song for 2006

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

That sounds strangely familiar.

My friend Tomas swears he saw this himself... I believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Give the Jew Girl Toys ftw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQyfUatwwY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Fairytale of New York. Beats the pants off any Cliff Richard anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Frankie goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love, always reminds me of Christmas as a kid. Carol of the Bells is a nice alternative for whistling along to. There's too many good songs :)

Try get people to sing complete versions of Christmas songs without it playing in the background, most only know the chorus. We tried to do it on the way to a Christmas party one night but no one could remember the lyrics (could have been the alcohol as well though).

Interesting side note, does anyone remember the Beers in the Porterhouse last April or May? Me, dajaffa, Elmyra, Peacheh and possibly Blush_01 singing Christmas songs? Nostalgia ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well since it's December on Friday:

I love all the usual cheesy Christmas songs, except Wizzard. I blame Eurospar in Dalkey for that! I also love most Christmas carols. Also, Jump (The Pointer Sisters) now reminds me of Christmas because of Love Actually.

At this moment, favourites are:
    Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg
    Driving Home for Christmas - Chris Rea (only since I came to Dublin though!)
    O Holy Night
    Oh Come Ye Merry Gentlemen
    White Christmas
    Walking in a Winter Wonderland
    Jingle Bells
    All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth
    All I Want for Christmas is You
    (and of course the aforementioned Jump)

SS, I may have joined in a little, but I was nowhere near as good as you lot. Put me to shame, you all did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

yea advent starts next sunday the 3rd of december...my 18th birthday woohoo :)

im afraid it has to be "all i want for christmas" for me but not mariahs version-the one from love actually all the way....i cant get enough of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

panda100 wrote:
    Driving home for xmas.....Being on the train down home a couple of days before xmas with this song on the radio has to be the most magic feeling in the world ever.
    Only one thing beats it if you ask me....actually driving home.
    Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

all of them!! :D
    mainly: Drivin Home For Christmas, Do They Know It's Christmastime?, Fairytale of New York, Rockin Around The Christmas Tree, The Christmas Song, Stop The Cavalry (so good!!), Merry Christmas Everyone.....etc etc etc!!
    Oh! We're Walking In The Air coz it reminds me so much of watching The Snowman every Christmas Eve when I was a kid...so excited!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Theres 'Carols by Candlelight' in the church on Wednesday at 7.30pm followed by a reception in the centre club after...just got a lealflet through my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

ooh, nice songs, some cultish chanting and then alcohol, could be fun. Though if the alcohol came first I'd probably be more up for the cultish chanting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Anything by Brian Setzer from his last two Christmas albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Scraggs wrote:
    Theres 'Carols by Candlelight' in the church on Wednesday at 7.30pm followed by a reception in the centre club after...just got a lealflet through my door.

I love their posters there so damn cute..all tinsely and playschool looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I hate Christmas music. Too many years working retail has turned me to Scrooge, so my favourite Christmas music is any good loud metal used to block out the sounds of Christmas music when I'm on the way out of work.
    Agreed, although Nightwish's cover of We're Walking In The Air is pretty cool, though technically not a christmas song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Dream Theater's version of "Oh Holy Night" isn't bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I've still managed to avoid hearing any Christmas songs on the TV or radio so far this year. For that I am eternally grateful! I refuse to acknowledge Christmas until at the very least the month of December!

I am however somewhat partial to the songs once I've accepted it's not too early for em! And also when alcohol has been consumed!

Fairytale of New York cant be beat! Except maybe by Do They Know it's Christmas, All I Want for Christmas and that Slade song the name of which escapes me at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

beanyb wrote:
    that Slade song the name of which escapes me at the moment!
    Merry Xmas Everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

There's no discussion to be had... it's the true national anthem of Fairytale of New York. anyone who has said otherwise should be excommunicated. :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mariah C in red
    Enough said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

"In My Easter Bonnet"... I love that one.

A little bit off topic, so apologies to the mods... you know it's nearly Christmas when you see the Easter eggs in the shops....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

War is over - John Lennon (featuring yer one!)

and

Fairytale of New York - The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

also, that mariah carey one aint bad *cough* and shakin stevens "Merry christmas everyone"....but the first two define christmas for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Just found this link

*sob*

And finally the perfect time of the year to listen to it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFH0TUWcBA

This ones for you Dajaffa :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.
    QFT. Mundy's Today FM version ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

blink182 - I Won't Be Home For Christmas

If you don't know this song... Why should you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Can I have a second favorite? Its gotta be "Somewhere in my memory" from Home Alone... sob... my secondary school sing it at the carol service (which I'm missing due to exams :() and its so well done when a choir is singing it... OH I MISS HOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dIH4mc-2DM

Ok the words are pure, class A American cheese... but its what Christmas is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

New fav: I'll Be Home for Christmas by Matchbook Romance. 'tis rather mega, + the intro is an interpretation of The Carol of the Bells.

No youtube type link, but if u see me make me play it on my lappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ah i found my Christmas song of last year - Liberty Bell Autamata - happy days.

• Advertisement

Ah i found my Christmas song of last year - Liberty Bell Autamata - happy days.
    Is Liberty Bell a Christmas song? I suppose it could work...

Advertisement