Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea(scores)

• 26-11-2006 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

This is set to be the biggest match of the season so far.
    Personally, I believe United can win this, but I also think Chelsea could too.
    If CHelsea play a 4-4-2, with 4 central midfielders, I think United's width and wingers will punish them too much and we can get a victory.
    It's a massive game for Rio and Vidic especially, as he will have to contain Drogba.

Prediction:
    United 2 - 0 Chelsea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Can only see Chelsea winning this. Despite been top of the league, United have not convinced me they look like Championship material. Expecting a poor scrappy match like last seasons match at Old Trafford so its same scoreline, different winner for me. United 0 Chelsea 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I predict a scoring draw, perhaps 1-1

If Rooney is on form, not even John Terry will be able to hold him at bay for the full 90 minutes. However, a lapse in concentration from the Utd defense (which isn't exactly unheard of) and Drogba/Shevchenko could easily be in.

There isn't a huge amount between the two teams, Chelsea have a better team on paper, but Utd have a coherency that Chelsea still lack. It will all depend on form, and who can recover best after their respective defeats midweek.

At least that's what I think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

PHB wrote:

I agree, but I think it could be a draw as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is set to be the biggest match of the season so far.
    If CHelsea play a 4-4-2, with 4 central midfielders, I think United's width and wingers will punish them too much and we can get a victory.
    It's a massive game for Rio and Vidic especially, as he will have to contain Drogba.

Prediction:
    United 2 - 0 Chelsea

I agree with all of the above, though I doubt Chelsea will adopt an entire 4 CMs in their midfield. I expect Robben to play, and hopefully Joe Cole doesnt which I dont think he will. I think Drogba wont be a problem. I rate him higher than most people here on boards but I dont think this is the type of game he'd flurish in.

I'll go for a 2-0 scoreline also, I cant see United losing this one. Rooney and Giggs to score.

hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

2-1 United.

Murinho to get sent from the dugout once he realises he's lost.

Aftre losing to arsenal, fergie will have everyone gee'd up for this one. Utd always get results against the big boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

smemon wrote:
    2-1 United.

Murinho to get sent from the dugout once he realises he's lost.

Aftre losing to arsenal, fergie will have everyone gee'd up for this one. Utd always get results against the big boys.

chelsea have an excellent record at old rafford in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

BigCon wrote:
    I agree, but I think it could be a draw as well...

think you've covered all the bases there, i agree with you it will either be a draw or one of the teams will win.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Score draw suits both teams....
    Both want the win, but won't want to lose. Just hope its not a stalemate :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

growler wrote:
    chelsea have an excellent record at old rafford in recent years.

utd have an excellent record at Chelsea :)

the fact Utd have lost to arsenal, lost to celtic all within a short space of time will fire fergie up (he hates losing to both sides).

Now comes along the mother of fergie's hit list atm- jose murinho. Expect sour grapes at the end should chelsea lose and over-celebrations and unsporting behaviour by murinho should chelsea win or grab a late point. :) The usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I am hoping this game will entertain.
    Too many times these "BIG MATCHES" fail to deliver quality, instead providing us with, well muck!!

I have to go with United to win. Both teams to score, 2-1 United.
    Drogba for Chelsea, or a Lampard free-kick.
    Ronaldo and Carrick for United. I have been waiting for Carrick to produce something, and I feel today could be his day. *fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

United ton win 1-0...Scholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'm expecting a poor game, because if I get my hopes up I'll be disappointed. 1-1 would be my prediction if I had to make one, but it's a difficult one.

Drogba is obviously the main threat whenever you're playing Chelsea, but especially so today, I feel. Vidic will hopefully dominate any aerial threats into the box, neutralising the likes of Terry and Carvalho from set pieces. I'm a little worried that Scholes' and Carrick's sub-par tackling ability could be exposed and lead to many free kicks around the box, which could be another problem, but I do feel the main worry is from Drogba and any of Shevchenko/Robben/Cole or whoever plays in the free attacking roles.

From United's point of view, I have a strange feeling Carrick is going to score today, dunno why. There's a lot of onus on Ronaldo and Giggs to work the flanks today, with Chelsea lacking width. Giggs, in particular, is key I feel. Ronaldo will not be able to cut inside as often as he is wont to with Makelele and Essien around, so the crosses are going to have to come from Giggs. Rooney and Saha better be on form, because we simply cannot afford any repeats of the comical misses that have been accruing recently.

I'm leaning towards United, if anyone, but that's probably because I'm biased. Still, I'll go for:

United 1 (Carrick) - Chelsea 1 (Drogba), with United scoring first. Good old completely arbitrary predictions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't care! ;)

Well I do as it happens, I want a thunderous 0-0 with 6 straight reds and several long-terms knocks then the rest of us might catch up! :eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Chelsea lacking width
    y'know, they do have Robben, Cole and SWP!

Robben will be gone in soon enough, and SWP.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

good point, I wonder where the both of them will end up though Mick? Id say Robben will def go abroad

anyhow this is Drogbas take on the game
    Drogba wrote:
    "I intend to play on Sunday because this is the biggest match in The Premiership," Drogba told the News of the World.

"I am over the knee injury I suffered at Werder Bremen, but the decision rests with the doctors and Jose Mourinho."

He added: "The match is vital.

"I am convinced Chelsea will win because we play better than United at key moments.

"Take our displays in Europe. We would never have lost at Celtic in such a vital game like United did."

Drogba also praised the summer signing of Andrei Shevchenko, who he feels has helped to improve his all-round game.

"My best is yet to come," he continued. "Shevchenko's arrival means my game has changed and I'm much better for it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:
    A bit of a paradox here?

I'll go for Chelsea 2-1. Drogba and Lampard with a deflected shot. Saha for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well looks like Chelsea have in fact gone with the diamond midfield of Makalele, Lampard, Ballack and Essien. Good news for United I think, Ronaldo and Giggs will hopefully have the freedom to run riot. While I believe United can win, something is still saying 'draw' to me. 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

All th hype, and its going to b a **** match like all the other hyped matches. 1-0 to chelse, or 0-0. If its as bad as last years match i am gonna switch over to th bowls at ht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

at least vidic's plan is obvious. fake injury to get players sent off. see how he was clutching his face as if he got hit by a hurley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

shocking that is, you'd never see that from a chelsea player wouldn't you......(cough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great goal by Saha

Another Cech keeer may have saved that tho :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus, how far was Carvalho standing off Saha?

I had a better chance of getting a block in from here. :)

Mossy Monk wrote:
    at least vidic's plan is obvious. fake injury to get players sent off. see how he was clutching his face as if he got hit by a hurley

Hardly! I bet he's never even played hurling. :)

Well done Saha.You Ledge.

When you see the behind him angle, it was actually a great shot ie the only spot it could go in.

kdjac

Sounds like Chelsea should buy a winger ;)

Mike.

dcarroll wrote:
    shocking that is, you'd never see that from a chelsea player wouldn't you......(cough)

no point justifying cheating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

should be a good game now, since chelsea have to go for it.

I wonder will we see one of Mourinho's famous early changes with robben coming in?

ooooooooooh! Elbow by Drogba! Will the ref cop out?

Mike.

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    When you see the behind him angle, it was actually a great shot ie the only spot it could go in.

kdjac

Dont get me wrong, he took it very well, but if carvalho was a foot or two in frontof him he wouldnt have been able to do that. Also thought Terry could have gotten more involved.

mike65 wrote:
    ooooooooooh! Elbow by Drogba! Will the ref cop out?

Mike.

No chance. It was clearly face to elbow.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

i'm not justifying cheating, merely implying that Chelsea cheat every bit as much if not more than Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fantastic goal by Saha, pretty much the only angle he could get it in, amazing strike.

I feel Chelsea have been quite poor, making very few chances. United havn't been very penatrive, but have been the better team. Enjoyable game so far, nice and physical. Ronaldo providing a real threat down the right, and with Cole warned and Makelele booked, he's gona have a lot of a free'r reign down the wing in the next half.

I feel the ref has been light on Chelsea, considering the costnt fouling of Carvalho and Ballack.
    If Robben comes on I think we'll have a game of it, but with Carvalho playing poorly and Geremi being Geremi, I think if the game opens up, it'll be good for United.

Vidic is playing a stormer, stopping Chelsea's main tactic of high balls to Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think Chelsea are looking a bit nervy to be honest.

Pretty even but United are just worth the lead in my opinion, Rooney and Saha have been much more lively than Drogba and Shevchenko. They've gotten poor service, wouldn't be surprised to see Mourinho drop the diamond for the second half and bring on Robben or Joe Cole.
    Great goal by Saha, absolute precision.

Great job by Rooney to whinge at the ref to get Makelle booked. I wonder if the English media will slap that all over there papers tomorrow?

I doubt it somehow.

• Advertisement

Robben on for Geremi, Essien right back.

Mike.

its all Chelsea so far in the 2nd half

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This second half is been played at some pace. Really is end to end stuff

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

1-1 ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ooooooo! Game on!

• Advertisement

1-1 Carvalho.

Cant say it wasnt coming, Utd would have done very well to weather the storm for much longer.

Draw.. Good result for everyone else. I suppose chelsea will be happier with a draw considering they were trailing and away from home. A united win here would of been excellent for them, but i guess they wont be to disappoint with the draw.

Good to see ashley cole get plenty of support aswell..

that will do just nicely

Arsenal for the league now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

utd. need to spend, they need to have someone better than o'shea and fletcher to bring on for the likes of saha and ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fair enough result, kinda disappointed United didn't capitalise on some of the breakaways in the 2nd half.
    Let's just hope this match doesn't make Mourinho realise the 4-4-2 with 4CM's doesn't work, and he sticks to it.

United's attacking options up front and midfield were quite clear for all to see, Rossi returning at Christmas and another midfielder bought would be nice

Ronaldo was excellent today, constantly a threat and even crossed a few times.

Good game overall but have to wonder how the best 2 teams in PLmanage to carry Ballack Shev and Carrick for nearly 90 minutes.

Saha should have buried that chance when terry fell over.

kdjac

Startling contrasts in substitutions, Chelsea bringing on Robben and Cole with United bringing on Fletcher and O' Shea.
    But still, the starting 11 showed that they're well capable of putting it up to Chelsea. The equaliser was always coming, Chelsea came right out of the traps in the second half. United responded well to their equaliser and the game really opened up, it's a shame they couldn't respond earlier.
    I'll be sweating until I hear more on Ronaldo and Saha, to lose the two of them would be a massive blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dreadful game. So many misplaced passes, a huge lack of tactical awareness and two teams who liked like they had no real gameplan. Of course Sky Sports are still hyping up 'The Best League in the World' (TM). "Now that was a proper football match," claimed Richard Keyes - my arse it was.

Thank god Madrid and Valencia is kicking off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

As has been said fair result in the end, pulsating match but my only complaint was it was too narrow a game. Utd were sucked into the middle of the field which suited Chelsea better!

worried about the 2 injuries we picked up though, if we were to lose 2 players we could really struggle!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Dreadful game. So many misplaced passes, a huge lack of tactical awareness and two teams who liked like they had no real game plan.

What are you smoking :confused: :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement