Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Your Australian Music Here

Options
  • 26-11-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

A complete ignoramus comment HERE made me think perhaps Ireland is a cultural backwater and Irish people are not as cultured or musically sophisticated as I formerly thought.

Please tell me that these dumbed down tabloid readers are the exception and not the rule. Surely you guys have heard of SOME of these bands?

ACDC
    Wolfmother
    Jack Johnson
    JET
    INXS
    Ben Harper
    Nick Cave and the bad seeds
    The avalanches
    Savage Garden
    Daddy cool
    Midnight Oil
    Crowded house
    Hunters & Collectors
    Paul Kelly
    Bernard Fanning
    Dead Can Dance
    Regurgitator
    You Am I
    Pete Murray
    Powderfinger
    Silverchair
    Something for Kate
    The Clouds,
    Killing Heidi
    John Butler Trio
    The Waifs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

your a pest!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Seriously tho'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

You forgot Kylie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

dSTAR wrote:
    A complete ignoramus comment HERE made me think perhaps Ireland is a cultural backwater and Irish people are not as cultured or musically sophisticated as I formerly thought.

Please tell me that these dumbed down tabloid readers are the exception and not the rule. Surely you guys have heard of SOME of these bands?

Careful there, or I might start thinking that Aussies are all jerks who create threads bashing entire countries and their people because one person didn't think Australia produced that much good music.

Also, this is the board where musicians look for other band members and such. God know what made you think this is where your little "Get back at Bazmo" thread belongs. :)

Ps. You're a pest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Musoabuso

forgot the best of all... the Sleepy Jackson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Careful there, or I might start thinking that Aussies are all jerks who create threads bashing entire countries and their people because one person didn't think Australia produced that much good music...
    Karl - I developed a huge passion for music when I was growing up in Ireland. I listened to all sorts of music and as far as I was concerned Irish music was the best music in the world. To me there was nothing in the world like Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher or Gary Moore. But I also loved a lot of the stuff that was coming out of Australia such Midnight Oil, AC-DC, The Triffids and numerous others. All of my mates where into the same kind of music and I just presumed that everyone had heard of many of the bands we listened to.

I am still continually impressed by the standard of new Irish music such as Damien Rice, Paddy Casey, Lisa Hannigan and many others. I know that these guys have been kicking around a bit in Ireland (have been to a couple of Juniper gigs in the 1990's and met Paddy Casey quite a few years back when he used to busk on the street) but they have only started to make inroads overseas. Irish music no doubt has reached a huge international market. Only recently I was in a bar in Hiroshima, Japan and stuck on Sarah by Thin Lizzy. I was amazed at how the people in the bar responded to it. It blew me away actually...

fair play to ya d-star!!!!!!!pest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

ACDC - YES!!
    Wolfmother - Yes
    Jack Johnson - Yes
    JET - Yes
    INXS - Yes
    Ben Harper - YES!!
    Nick Cave and the bad seeds - Of course!
    The avalanches - Yep
    Savage Garden - Yeah
    Daddy cool - Yeah
    Midnight Oil - YES!
    Crowded house - Yeas
    Hunters & Collectors - No!! :-O
    Paul Kelly - Yep
    Bernard Fanning - Nope
    Dead Can Dance - Nope
    Regurgitator - Nope
    You Am I - Nope
    Pete Murray - YES!!
    Powderfinger - Nope
    Silverchair - Yeah
    Something for Kate - Nope
    The Clouds, - Nope
    Killing Heidi - Nope
    John Butler Trio -Nope
    The Waifs - Nope

Im sure you forgot some! ;) .... But I wouldn't worried so much about what other people think, especially small minded people that clearly haven't been to OZ. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Tommy Emmanuel, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

ACDC - who hasnt?
    Wolfmother - saw them at the Olympia a few weeks ago. Unimpressed
    Jack Johnson - knob
    JET - rubbish
    INXS - below poo
    Ben Harper - ok i guess
    Nick Cave and the bad seeds - One of my faves
    The avalanches - never heard of them
    Savage Garden - lol!
    Daddy cool - a few good tunes. Mondo Rock were better.

Midnight Oil - The best band in the world EVER! Sadly people here only know 'Beds' which in my opinion is a low point.

Crowded house - ok. chewing gum for the ears.
    Hunters & Collectors - Pretty cool. Especially early stuff like 'talking to a stranger'

Paul Kelly - cant stand him
    Bernard Fanning - twat
    Dead Can Dance - awesome. love them. but not essentailly australian
    Regurgitator - pffft
    You Am I - had all there albums but sold them recently. They suck
    Pete Murray - he aint gonna make it outside Oz
    Powderfinger - Tripe of the highest order.
    Silverchair - laughable
    Something for Kate - love them. Got all the albums.
    The Clouds, Liked them at the time.
    Killing Heidi - junk
    John Butler Trio - trying to be a rastafarian when youre not. Aint cool.
    The Waifs - some nice tunes

There was a band called Sea Stories some years ago that I really liked.

Weddings Parties Anything, Neil Murray, Rose Tattoo, Mi Sex and Spy V Spy were pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

ben harper is american dude:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Harper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭filament

dumbest thread ever much?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I can't believe you put Savage Garden on the list. I didn't know they were Australian. And to think I used to like the Aussies..

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭hexagramer

i was born in adelaide SA and lived in Brisbane.

when i got back here i despised this place and the structure of the music and metal scene. its so SMALL HAHAHAHAH

answere yourselves this one question

does it matter if every single irish person living here has herd of your band?

SHUTUP because you's dont know a thing about the music industry or how its to be done.
    dammit i hate dealing with a nation so closed minded.

another ****in pest:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya forgot The Starfighters, Midnight Oil and Angry Anderson!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I'd have called 'em chizzwozzers...

Emm...Parkway Drive? That's all I got on Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭icon

Natalie Imbruglia - YES
    Kylie - YES
    Holly Valance - YES
    Rolf Harris - YES

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Oz has got AC/DC, Nick Cave and maybe Crowded House - all the rest of those bands can suck my thumb.

Kevin Bloody Wilson!

Dead Can Dance are a great band also

• Advertisement

Kevin Bloody Wilson!

Dead Can Dance are a great band also
    and the Avalanches.....that boy needs therapy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

dSTAR wrote:

ACDC
    Jack Johnson
    JET
    INXS
    The avalanches
    Savage Garden

Ive only ever heard of the above, however apar from ACDC its the type of thing you see under the music section of an 18 year old female UCD students Bebo page.

Which makes it complete ****e by default.
    icon wrote:
    Natalie Imbruglia - YES
    Kylie - YES
    Holly Valance - YES
    Rolf Harris - YES

:cool:

In Hollys cae, its a case of YES YES YES :)

Kylie, pfft, I wouldnt touch her with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

hexagramer wrote:
    i was born in adelaide SA and lived in Brisbane.

when i got back here i despised this place and the structure of the music and metal scene. its so SMALL HAHAHAHAH

answere yourselves this one question

does it matter if every single irish person living here has herd of your band?

SHUTUP because you's dont know a thing about the music industry or how its to be done.
    dammit i hate dealing with a nation so closed minded.

If you despise Ireland so much why don't you go back to where you came from.

And in answering your question, No it shouldn't matter if your band is famous or your a complete nobody, the fact of the matter is, Ireland produces and will continue to produce just a many talented Musicians, Bands & song Writers
    as Oz will... maybe even more!

I suppose you know EVERYTHING about the music Industry? :rolleyes:

You 'closed minded nation' comment is laughably.... especially since the Oz is part of the commonwealth. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How has this thread come this far without someone saying Jack Johnson isn't Australian. He's shíte anyway. I'll plead the female 18 year old ucd students favouritest bandz on bebo here.

I can't believe someone would actually put Savage Garden down on a list of musicians they thought were a credit to their nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Can't believe no one's mentioned The Go-Betweens.........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Only just noticed this thread now.

Well done on taking my post in the other thread out of context dSTAR.

For anyone that hasn't read the thread, it's about some Irish guy from Kildare that was participating in the Australian version of Pop Idol (he ended up winning it end and fairplay to him).
    In the thread dSTAR and some other posters were wetting themselves at how, "like Oh My God, like this guy is like amazing, like he's better than Damien Rice and like Bono and even like Elvis" and I was just trying to get them to put their comments into some kind of perspective, i.e. A guy appearing on a reality TV show in a country not known for their musical exports does not make him the next Damien Rice.

I also find it quite funny that out of the 26 bands that you mentioned, I'd say that most people would possibly only know about 8 and 3 of those aren't even from Australia. Now who's the ignoramous?

"Get back at Bazmo" thread
    YAY!! Never had one of those. I feel honoured, I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Cold Chisel! A thread about Australian music & no one mentions Cold Chisel, or Jimmy Barnes? Or Slim Dusty ;)

Seriously though, Chisel were great, and Barnesy played here in Dublin a few months ago, it was a great gig...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe no one's mentioned Pugwall and the Orange Organics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The best Aussie band is of course:

THE BERZERKER!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The Living End also worth a listen in my humble opinion. That's only a myspace site. Official site not working at the moment.

Advertisement