Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLAYSTATION 3--anyone here play it

• 26-11-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone here has been lucky 2 play a ps3 yet
    if yes, does it live up to the hype ????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

mine just arrived 10mins ago! :)

will let you know , got COD3 and resitance fall of man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

played it a while ago, and ranted on these very forums about it. the machine itself does quite live up to the hype, but the games thus far don't. they're good games, don't get me wrong... but nothing so compelling that you'll be incredibly satisfied with your €600 purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

Sorry lads,but are these USA machines ???? Will they play the games here when its released ????
    I heard its region free but i was thinking of sony in the past with ntsc & pal

mine is a USA model. got it yesterday. Its region free but apparently this will be at the discression of the game makers.

the pwer supply is universal so no need for a convertor even tho its labeled as 120Volts. i fully researched this before connecting it to the mains here. the power supply is integrated so just your standard kettle power lead type connector into the back and your away.

got a second wireless controller from japan no issues at all using it even tho there is an american and japanese version advertised around the web.

came with two games COD3 and resistance fall of man.
    i have a 360 aswell and have tried to see a difference between COD on the 360 and PS3 but so far they look identical to me. the only difference is with the controller in that the controllers are motion sensitive so you can melee attack or shack of an enemy but shaking the controller from left to right.

resistance , so far is not all that impressive. its like COD with aliens instead of germans. lovely graphics and sound but not a riviting play.

im hooked up to a philips 42' plasma HD. it doesnt to 1080p only 720p or 1080i. the tv HD port is DVI so i picked up a HDMI to DVI cable in Peats for €39 and it works sweet.

initially i had to updates the firmware from 1.00 to 1.10 yesterday and now today there was another update to 1.11.

the sony store (microsoft marketplace equivilant) is crap so far very few features just a few game demos and video clips.

Its all very reminisent of the XBOX marketplace back when it first launched and i suspect there will be many many updates to come.

first impressions overall :

very nice console with bags of potential but it is going to be a while before we see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

did you get it from ebay ? how much did it actually set you back ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I think its like the PSP

region free game-wise but not with Films

also, im sure therell be lots of NTSC/PAL clashin

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    did you get it from ebay ? how much did it actually set you back ?

yup got it on ebay 60gb model, paid €800 for the console and two games, which isnt really all that bad if the console is going to cost 500-600 when it arrives here in march and assuming games will have a similar price structure to the xbox360.

shipping cos me another €110 via ups. but watch out as they will try and do you for import duty! i think they wanted another 150 in tax but i was delivering it to my company address so managed to fob them off :D

so i did pay a fair whack for it all in all but nowhere near some of the crazy prices that people have them on ebay for. i think its worth it for a 4 month head start :)

as for ntsc/pal issues as long as your tv supports NTSC your fine, i havent seen a pal only tv in a long long time, they may still be out there tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ZygOte wrote:
    yup got it on ebay 60gb model, paid €800 for the console and two games ... shipping cos me another €110 via ups ...

thats not bad, i knew those crazy prices on ebay are just a joke, most have zero bids...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Phantom!

IMO the 360 is better but its had a years head start on the ps3, this time last year the xbox was in the same boat as the ps3 is now, lack of games and limited online content. time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

played it a while ago, and ranted on these very forums about it. the machine itself does quite live up to the hype, but the games thus far don't. they're good games, don't get me wrong... but nothing so compelling that you'll be incredibly satisfied with your €600 purchase

Without wanting to start a war, how do you qualify the machine living up to the hype if the games dont? What else was mind blowing about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Where did people get these? On ebay? And are they region free consoles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Im not sure whether this matters but the first batch of PS3 games look identical or slightly better graphically than current 360 games. Is this a sign that as time goes on PS3 games will look far superior than 360 games as if they look identical to the 360 now, just give it time eh?

Ive never had an xbox before, but I find myself wanting to buy a 360, but I think its just impatience. Will the 360 fall behind graphically as I may buy the 360 but wanted to know what to expect in relation to ps3. Ive never had an xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

shortys94 wrote:
    Im not sure whether this matters but the first batch of PS3 games look identical or slightly better graphically than current 360 games. Is this a sign that as time goes on PS3 games will look far superior than 360 games as if they look identical to the 360 now, just give it time eh?

Ive never had an xbox before, but I find myself wanting to buy a 360, but I think its just impatience. Will the 360 fall behind graphically as I may buy the 360 but wanted to know what to expect in relation to ps3. Ive never had an xbox.

There actually isn't any difference between them. Gears of War looks better than anythng out at the moment. Resistance looks nice but runs at a shoddy framerate (although a constant one). I'd goso far as t say that there really isn't any difference between the 360 and PS3 at either launch.

Don't know why you are bothered about graphics you should be concerned about the games and the xbox360 has the best games out and lots of potential in the line up while the PS3 doesn't have much until probably next year. If it was all about graphics the DS wouldn't be kicking the PSP's ass in terms of games and sales.

Most developers say that there is very little performance difference between the two consoles despite Sony's BS.

Thanks retrogamer, but would you recommend getting the wii and waiting for ps3 or just get the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

shortys94 wrote:
    Thanks retrogamer, but would you recommend getting the wii and waiting for ps3 or just get the 360?

If you are considering all three but don't want to fork out for them all, why not just get a 360 and a Wii for the same price as a PS3.

skywalker wrote:
    Without wanting to start a war, how do you qualify the machine living up to the hype if the games dont? What else was mind blowing about it?

just the general experience. i was more excited to play it then the 360 (which i got at launch), and the experience with the main menu and general features just feels a lot more solid IMO. the machine is also a lot quieter then any machine i've ever used before. it also is teh sex in terms of design. it does dominate a room.

just the general experience. i was more excited to play it then the 360 (which i got at launch), and the experience with the main menu and general features just feels a lot more solid IMO. the machine is also a lot quieter then any machine i've ever used before. it also is teh sex in terms of design. it does dominate a room.

How did the joypad feel? I've read reports that it's a bit on the light side, what did you make of it?

mcgarnicle wrote:
    How did the joypad feel? I've read reports that it's a bit on the light side, what did you make of it?

noticably lighter... very noticable. the lack of rumble is slightly odd when playing a game like motorstorm, but you forget about it quick enough. only played quick tech demo stuff to test the sixaxis stuff, but it was pretty interesting, and more comfy then the Wii... but none of the games will be designed for that mode, it'll be a nice quirky addition to games (snapping necks in MGS4, for example), though i know sony are working on games that only use it for their online service

noticably lighter... very noticable. the lack of rumble is slightly odd when playing a game like motorstorm, but you forget about it quick enough. only played quick tech demo stuff to test the sixaxis stuff, but it was pretty interesting, and more comfy then the Wii... but none of the games will be designed for that mode, it'll be a nice quirky addition to games (snapping necks in MGS4, for example), though i know sony are working on games that only use it for their online service

agreed, the controller at first is noticibly light and initally feels almost flimsy, but you soon get used to it and its is very sturdy, L2 and R2 buttons are far more "spongy" almost i think than the original and are quite satisfying to use.

console is lovely and quiet almost silent and oh yes it is a dominating looking console, all black and shiny. but this is nothing to judge a machine by in the overall sense. the xbox360 is ugly and sounds like a hurricane trapped in a fridge by comparison, but have far better games lineup and features etc.

again it is far to early for anyone to make a fair comparison i think. im just looking forward to getting a wii for the moment :)

• Advertisement

Im not trying to take away from your point of view here or anything, but if thats the best thing you can say about the machine then its seriously lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

the 2 consoles are nearly identical in specs but the ps3 game linup and the web browser just edges it in front......do the 360 wireless controllers rumble ??

ciano1 wrote:
    the 2 consoles are nearly identical in specs but the ps3 game linup and the web browser just edges it in front......do the 360 wireless controllers rumble ??

the machines are very different in fact. it wont be obvious for another 2 or 3 years though. but you'll see PS3 games getting a slight edge by then. it wont be massive, but it'll be there. like the difference between xbox and ps2.

and yes, the 360 controllers rumble

I was tempted by 360, but after I thought about it, youre getting alot fro the price of the PS3, and by the time you bought a wireless adaptor and hd dvd add on for 360 youve spent more than for a PS3

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

it does dominate a room.

“Look – wow – you’ve got a mini bbq under your telly”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hey there and well wear!

Can ye tell us a bit about the interface?
    What codec playback does it support?
    Have any of you used it to play any 1080p material?
    what came with it in the box?
    etc etc

cheers
    n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

shortys94 wrote:
    I was tempted by 360, but after I thought about it, youre getting alot fro the price of the PS3, and by the time you bought a wireless adaptor and hd dvd add on for 360 youve spent more than for a PS3
    You'd do amazingly well to get a PS3 + 6 games + second controller for the same price as the deals going on the 360 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Skywalker wrote:
    Im not trying to take away from your point of view here or anything, but if thats the best thing you can say about the machine then its seriously lacking.

Seriously?What could you say about the 360 at launch?It overheats and scratches discs??And even moving away from my distinct hatred for Micro$oft, no console really made you have lots to say at launch.Not that many games out for it.None that use all the console's and joypad's features.It's always the way.
    I have a feeling it will be a different case for the Wii though.
    With a Legend Of Zelda game at launch! and Wii sports for all your motion sensed fun!!!

Seriously?What could you say about the 360 at launch?

Probably a bit more than its big and shiny.

• Advertisement

skywalker wrote:
    Probably a bit more than its big and shiny.

I had a 360 at launch and when I got asked about it the best I could say was that I can turn it on and off from my bed.

Glad to hear the pads feel sturdy, despite being rather light. That was a worry for me so I'm happy now.

Advertisement