Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLAYSTATION 3--anyone here play it

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Hey there and well wear!

Can ye tell us a bit about the interface?
    What codec playback does it support?
    Have any of you used it to play any 1080p material?
    what came with it in the box?
    etc etc

cheers
    n

interface is the same as the PSP one. a 5 year old can use it. very easy, and looks a lot less intrusive then the 360 dashboard when you bring it up in a game...

not sure what codec playback it supports right now. i recall being told it supports everything the PSP does (as in, the latest PSP firmware), but there will be updates to that in future.

since i played it in the confines of sony, it was a 1080p set i was playing on. looks amazing, but i honestly couldn't tell you that it's better or worse then 720p (i.e. don't go spending loads on a 1080p tv for no reason)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

How do you know if your television supports 1080p, I know it supports 1080i etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

shortys94 wrote:
    How do you know if your television supports 1080p, I know it supports 1080i etc

chances are it doesn't. 1080p is an expensive addition to a set, and very few HD-ready sets do (when they do, they say "supports FULL HD", as a sales pitch). you'll know by the instruction manual, or the box itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I was reading in Empire mag that the difference betweel 1080p adn 720p is not noticable to the human eye on anything under 60". Anyone know more about this? Apparently on lets say a 42" screen there aren't enough pixels to display true 1080p anyway so unless you've got a cinema screen you wont be able to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

iregk wrote:
    I was reading in Empire mag that the difference betweel 1080p adn 720p is not noticable to the human eye on anything under 60". Anyone know more about this? Apparently on lets say a 42" screen there aren't enough pixels to display true 1080p anyway so unless you've got a cinema screen you wont be able to see it.

Depends how close you are to the tv, how sensitive you are to these things etc... They definitely can display true 1080p on a 42" screen though no problem. I'm typing this on a 15" monitor thats 720p, so if you think about it the pixels on a 1080p 42" would actually be bigger.

Of course you won't notice as much when sitting back on a couch as opposed to reading text close up on a computer, it's debatable what difference it makes. I'm happy enough with the 360 in 720p. It does seem worlds apart from standard definition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

the machines are very different in fact. it wont be obvious for another 2 or 3 years though. but you'll see PS3 games getting a slight edge by then. it wont be massive, but it'll be there. like the difference between xbox and ps2.

I don't think the difference will be as noticable as it was between the Xbox and PS2, there was a far wider gap between those consoles then there was between the XBox360 and PS3. I do think that titles exclusive to the PS3 will look nice though.

On the subject of 1080p TVs they seem to average around €4,000 to €5,000. Far too much of an investement at the moment if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

shortys94 wrote:
    Im not sure whether this matters but the first batch of PS3 games look identical or slightly better graphically than current 360 games. Is this a sign that as time goes on PS3 games will look far superior than 360 games as if they look identical to the 360 now, just give it time eh?

Gamespot has just done a comparisob between the PS3 and 360 with identical games and the 360 came out best for the time being.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?sid=6162742&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Jip wrote:
    Gamespot has just done a comparisob between the PS3 and 360 with identical games and the 360 came out best for the time being.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?sid=6162742&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot
    I don't think that will surprise anyone, the 360 is obviously a far far superior machine.

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Jip wrote:

They did the same sort of comparison last year with the 360 and the Xbox1, and found the 360 didn't look a whole lot better. Of course it didn't, multiplatform games couldn't hold a candle to the 360 exclusives even then and certainly not to games out for the machine now. The PS3 will get a lot better.

That said, in terms of graphical horsepower, the 360 is plain better than the PS3. The PS3 on the other hand has a stronger processor, much higher capacity media format, and a hard drive that the developers can rely on being there(some games already allow hard drive installs to cut down load times). It also has a motion sensing controller that may improve gameplay in some games.

Net result, multiplatform games should probably look slightly better on 360 more often than not, but both consoles should enjoy far more advanced exclusives, and the biggest advantage of the PS3's processor should be its ability to throw a lot more stuff around the screen at once, be it explosions or masses of characters at once, think Dead Rising but it should be capable of even more.

Both are very very capable machines though and at the end of the day it's all down to software. More than Microsoft vs. Sony, this will be decided by Bungee + Rare + Bizarre Creations vs. SCEI + Polyphony + Studio Liverpool etc. there's a lot of talented developers out there and both machines give them a lot of tools to create great games, I currently own a 360 and I know full well I'll end up with a PS3 sooner or later, there's way too many great developers working on it for there not to be some must have games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

steviec wrote:
    They did the same sort of comparison last year with the 360 and the Xbox1, and found the 360 didn't look a whole lot better. Of course it didn't, multiplatform games couldn't hold a candle to the 360 exclusives even then and certainly not to games out for the machine now. The PS3 will get a lot better.

That said, in terms of graphical horsepower, the 360 is plain better than the PS3. The PS3 on the other hand has a stronger processor, much higher capacity media format, and a hard drive that the developers can rely on being there(some games already allow hard drive installs to cut down load times). It also has a motion sensing controller that may improve gameplay in some games.

Net result, multiplatform games should probably look slightly better on 360 more often than not, but both consoles should enjoy far more advanced exclusives, and the biggest advantage of the PS3's processor should be its ability to throw a lot more stuff around the screen at once, be it explosions or masses of characters at once, think Dead Rising but it should be capable of even more.

Both are very very capable machines though and at the end of the day it's all down to software. More than Microsoft vs. Sony, this will be decided by Bungee + Rare + Bizarre Creations vs. SCEI + Polyphony + Studio Liverpool etc. there's a lot of talented developers out there and both machines give them a lot of tools to create great games, I currently own a 360 and I know full well I'll end up with a PS3 sooner or later, there's way too many great developers working on it for there not to be some must have games.

Well said StevieC,
    its too early to judge the PS3 on its games compared to the 360 (there was just as much crap on 360 on its launch).
    On the flip side, Ridge Racer 7 is certainly more impressive than its 360 cousin, absolutely flies along at 1080p with no slowdown or stuttering. Definitely a noticable improvement over 720p mode, but obviously that will depend on the capabilities/size of your display. I'm sure a 360 version would be able to match the PS3 if it had its own RR7, but we'll never know.
    Resistance is a very good game, anyone who likes Call of Duty 1-3 will almost certainly love it. It may not have the hype/graphics of Gears of War, but its a much more enjoyable game for me (felt GOW was very underwhelming) and makes GOW seem pedestrian in terms of enemy numbers, firefights etc... Defo the best game you can have on the PS3 right now. Only 720p though.
    Motorstorm demo is excellent, more than a match for anything on the 360 graphically (having said that, not sure I've played a similar kind of game on the 360). Very fast, excellent physics based driving, only way the game could be improved is with a rumble pad....can't wait for the full game.
    Blu-ray playback is noticably better than the 360 HD-DVD playback, silent console and better sound makes for a more enjoyable film watching experience. Newer Blu-rays are easily on a par with HD-DVD, Superman Returns is indistinguishable between the two in PQ, but audio is more much more impressive from the PS3, despite it being only a DD+ soundtrack compared to the "faked" TrueHD output from the 360 addon.
    Dashboard feel of the PS3 is very slick, very professional in a minimalist kind of way, makes the 360 dashboard seem very clunky. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are others who will prefer the 360 dash over this.

Its too hard to recommend the PS3 right now purely for games playing reasons, if you want too get into the Blu-ray world and play games, then its a more than worthy purchase. Come the Irish launch, there may be more games out there that will test the 360, but considering graphics along the likes of GOW came along a year after the 360 launched, who knows what the PS3 may have in store ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

McDermotX wrote:
    Well said StevieC,
    its too early to judge the PS3 on its games compared to the 360 (there was just as much crap on 360 on its launch).

I agree, but the point the article was making that they're comparing like for like games, ones that have been ported over to each console with no time dedicated to improving the game on any one machine and the 360 was the winner in this situation. Sure, PS3 exclusives may be fantastic and vice versa for the 360 but at the moment games that aren't exclusive to any particular platform seem to come out, just about, on top on the 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hooray, another copy of Ridge Racer to never be played again, seriouly that a game series running out of steam, I've got them all and the material is getting a tad stretched, the last one I enjoyed was, and still is, Rage Racer on my PS, Ridge Racer 6 on the 360 just made me play Ridge Racers on my PSP, and that is a greatest hits compliation, a poor choice of game to demo your machine, especially as the 360 had PGR3 and now Test Drive Unlimited, too far more capable titles, beating the rather old hat GT 4 HD, although isn't that cancelled now?
    But it is too early to judge, one can only imagine what is being prepared for the PS3 and what games will be available for the euro launch, but as yet nothing to make me want to run out and buy one.
    What PS3 exclusives will there be? What of Sonys own IPs will we be gagging for? More Ratchet and Clank? More Jak and Daxter? More reheats of the aforemetioned Gran Turismo series? Or will most gamers be just buying the outputs of EA, Namco and Capcom, a vast number of which will be cross platform releases, with little to divide the 360 and PS3 in terms if graphics and gameplay, although the 360 pad does rumble, hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

No,
    like I say......I wouldn't buy the PS3 right now if all your going to do is play games on it.
    It doesn't offer too much above the 360 right now, and seeing as how most of the 360 games out there are forgettable to say the least, you'll have to ask yourself if its worth owning both, considering most games will be multi-format.
    Both systems will always have their exclusives......for Gears of War, there'll be MGS, for GT there'll be Forza etc etc.........It just comes down to which exclusives you'll prefer.
    Personally, I didn't buy the system primarily for the games anyway, and if you're looking for real quality, you're better off booting up the latest Zelda on the Wii anyway before turning on your PS3 or 360.
    Lets face it, paying 70quid or so for the latest 360 "masterpiece" is getting tiresome and I can count on one hand the number of times the 360 has been turned on in the last month, and that was only to test out the HD-DVD addon !!
    I've had more gameplaying fun on the Wii over the last few days than on the 360 since launch, whether that continues after the new year remains to be seen. Unfortunately we won't always have a new Zelda to play, and it'll be down to the various software houses to use the Wii's capabilities. But as anyone who has owned a Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube down the years will know, there's always little gems out there to play on these so-called lesser machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

iregk wrote:

well, that is relative... i can see a difference between 720p and 1080p on a 19" monitor and it's very noticable. i'm speaking of my windows desktop of couse, and resolutions are very close approximations to 720p and 1080p.

if i were to move away a meter i'm pretty sure i couldn't tell the difference, but then again i couldn't read any of the text.

when you're talking about detail, and that's all there is in the resolution, it is very hard to discern it in a fast moving video, be it games or movies. if you're reading text you will notice immediately, as long as you're close enough to be able to read it.

if empire mag tested 720p and 1080p on some fast paced games/movies, i wouldn't be surprised at all that they couldn't tell any difference.

Advertisement