Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punkbuster

Options
  • 26-11-2006 3:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Ok, I will start by saying, I own BF2. I bought the friggin thing, have broadband connection and have been playing the game fine up till a couple of days ago when I upgraded to 1.41.

For a day or two it worked fine and fast now I am constantly kicked for either:

'Unrecognised Windows API function'

OR

'Service abnormality'

Every time I try to log on to a server, the server comes on then im kicked for these reasons.

I am VERY angry at this. Whats the story here, I just want to play my game and it appears Punkbuster does the best it can to stop you playing the game. It comes out with this jargon and you dont know what the problem. This is a joke. I understand they have to stop cheats but why am I - a legit player not able to play the bloody game?!

Does anyone else have this problem and can anyone tell me how to rectify it? I think it has something to do with my firewall but Im not sure. Im very frustrated and angry with the whole PKbuster thing - this is not the first time its messed me around either. I would really appreciate feedback on this.

In addition I would like to ask does anyone else think this system is stupidly strict when ppl who buy the game cant use it?:mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Hacker !!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

1. I guess that you can connect to non-PB servers without any problem?

2. Have you tried to turn boh your firewall and anti-virus off (the error suggests that PB info is being blocked by something on your machine).

3. Have you tried to manually update PB ?
    http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

You can also try this to active the logs :

Join a PB server, and drop the console with ~, then type

pb_logtofile 1

and then

pb_writecfg

Wait until you get kicked. Now check your ..\bf2\pb folder for a file called pbcl.log

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

If the problem only arose after you patched to 1.41, perhaps you got a dodgy patch.

Maybe try reinstalling and repatching (try a different source for the patches)..

D>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

same thing happened to me when i updated to the 1.41 but the errors were slightly different... i just uninstalled the game, reinstalled got the patch from a dif location and it all worked out fine...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thanks guys. Ive tried everything and it still does not work:(

Im running a beta version of windows vista so......

Can anyone give me an IP for a server without punkbuster or a server name that ppl actually use? Id really appreciate it. Thanks, disappointed BF2 fan:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> I am VERY angry at this....

Errr, you're angry at the fact that BF2 isn't working with a beta OS that it doesn't officially support?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ponster wrote:
    > I am VERY angry at this....

Errr, you're angry at the fact that BF2 isn't working with a beta OS that it doesn't officially support?

No it was happening with XP. I only put vista on yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do a manual update of punkbuster as mentioned above, or download bf2 cleaner which will clear out the graphics and logo cache even if you only recently installed the game there maybe some corruption in the files. The other thing you can do is reinstall 1.41. ;)

Advertisement