Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Days

Options
  • 26-11-2006 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to any yet? Post your thoughts about whichever you've been to here!

Was at the IADT open day myself yesterday. I'm only interested in their photography course so spent my time there. Was talking to a third year student and a lecturer for a long time.

All aspects of the course sounded good, lots of freedom, 100% employment rate, rated one of the best courses in the world. But what struck me watching the slide show, was alot of the student's photos were, well, mediocre at best. Apparently all their photos have to have meaning behind them, which is fair enough. So I asked the lecturer what the meaning behind a few photos (ones where I couldn't see any merit), and it seemed to be the kinda thing that 10 year olds would do. A photo of a semi-detached house, apparently showing "Modern Dublin". It seemed alot of them were based on pretentious unseen meanings, but what has put me off, is the lecturer genuinely believed these.

So I think IADT's out for me. It means moving to Dublin for a course where the main open point is freedom - it seems the only advantage they have over spending 4 years of shooting yourself, is you have a studio and cameras available to you. Not worth moving for!

Anyone else have any similar experiences? Have you been to an open day to help further your opinion on a potential course? If so, how did it strike you after meeting lecturers etc?

Next stop, DIT!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I went up to IADT on Friday, was so impressed, although i was looking at film and television production. There is so much work involved in getting in and then it'll be such a challenge to remain in that class but i loved the place. I guess it just spoke to me in a way UL and LIT didnt (especially LIT), everyone seems to have their own thing and everyone else respects that.. its cool! Plus the chapel... thats just class!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

When is DIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

obl wrote:
    When is DIT?
    saturday 2nd december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I can't really go to any because I'm missing too much school as it is, went to the UL one which was a mess....missed the LIT one BECAUSE the UL one was such a mess. bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah Maynooth's one was deadly, great campus. Didn't bother going to any lectures, because arts there is my last resort, and I know people who've done it and are doing it, so didn't need a lecture. Their SU bar is deadly too...

My next and last one is Trinity's, and I'm going to actually make use of this one..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

I suggest you all try and come to the NUIG open day tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

UL was great craic! Spent about an hour on the campus, got lunch there, and spent the rest of the day in a few pubs. I didn't learn anything about the courses I was interested in to be honest, and I've been around the campus many times before.

Didn't go to UCC, I'm not interested in any course there.

I won't be going to TCD because they have one of the worst engineering degrees in the country.

I won't be going to NUIG because I have better options.

I missed the CIT open day unfortunately but I've got a few contacts who'll be able to sort me out.

I'll be going to the UCD open day, and after that I'll be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fantastic Kaz

Heading to DIT tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

i went to the NUIG....terrible experience....lashing rain......hay shed on campus......no thanks. TCD open day on wed. should be good.

Yeah I've decided to go to the TCD one too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Aero787 wrote:

I won't be going to TCD because they have one of the worst engineering degrees in the country.

So you're not even going to try and make your own mind up, you're just going to take someone else's opinion on it? "Someone said it was crap, so it's crap", tbh you're better off not going to trinity, you wouldn't get far with such a dismissive attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

LiouVille wrote:
    So you're not even going to try and make your own mind up, you're just going to take someone else's opinion on it? "Someone said it was crap, so it's crap", tbh you're better off not going to trinity, you wouldn't get far with such a dismissive attitude.

I'm interested in engineering too. I talked to engineers, students, lecturers, and other people who know a lot about the different courses strengths. I was told not to bother anywhere but UCD and CIT since they are probably the two best.

Presumably, the person has talked to people who know about these things, and isn't just dismissing it for no reason. I have been to TCD (not for the open day, as it happens) and I've decided that there are better engineering courses elsewhere.

There's no point in getting into an argument about this. Walk away guys!

Pure Cork wrote:
    I'm interested in engineering too. I talked to engineers, students, lecturers, and other people who know a lot about the different courses strengths. I was told not to bother anywhere but UCD and CIT since they are probably the two best.

Presumably, the person has talked to people who know about these things, and isn't just dismissing it for no reason. I have been to TCD (not for the open day, as it happens) and I've decided that there are better engineering courses elsewhere.

There's no point in getting into an argument about this. Walk away guys!

Everyone is bias and allot of people talk out of their arse, especially when it comes to "The best course". I've done open days in trinity, and you always get asked "What's the best engineering course" and I just cringe, since it's an amazing stupid question, which is only asked by people without a bloody clue, expecting people to give them all answers answers.

You don't study all of engineering. Realise that. You will end up doing some small aspect of engineering, so there is feic all point in saying overall UCD/TCD/DIT/UL is better then any other course. If you want to be a mechanical engineer what's the point in someone saying "UCD is the best engineering course" because I guarantee that every single college excels in some areas and falls far behind in others.

Many of the people I've talked with have no connection with UCD and CIT.

"What's the best engineering course?" Hmm.....do you think I don't realise that that is a completely stupid question? One of the best questions to ask is: What are the advantages of doing (specific) engineering course in this third-level institution? However, I do know that UCD and CIT excel in the majority (if not all) of disciplines.

I presume that you're an engineering student at TCD. Why don't you share your opinion of TCD engineering instead of pointing out the obvious?

Pure Cork wrote:
    Many of the people I've talked with have no connection with UCD and CIT.

People are biased. Simple as. Companies tend to take on engineers from specific backgrounds because that is what they need, as such, that course is better.
    "What's the best engineering course?" Hmm.....do you think I don't realise that that is a completely stupid question?

You say it's a stupid question, but then and go on to make a stupid statement in a similiar vein about UCD and CIT being two of the best. If it's so obvious, why are you so blind to it.
    However, I do know that UCD and CIT excel in the majority (if not all) of disciplines.

How are you in any position to know that? Have you read the detailed findings of the iei? The only body in a position to accredit Irish engineering courses? Experience tells me that you statement is complete bull, and if you knew anything about how universities are structured you'd realise how monumentally wrong you are.

I presume that you're an engineering student at TCD. Why don't you share your opinion of TCD engineering instead of pointing out the obvious?

What do you want to know, since you've already been to trinity (on the tour was it?) and have made up your mind.

So, are you saying that I shouldn't pay any attention to the reputation of those intitutions among academics who have no connection with them, or people involved in industry?

Maybe I said that UCD and CIT are two of the best, because they really are two of the best, and are strong across the board.

Your experience tells you? What experience is that? If you are doubting the quality of the engineering courses in UCD and CIT (I don't have to mention a specific discipline because they are strong across the board) then you must be as do mheabhair.

"(on the tour was it?)" Funny man! I was there for academic reasons. Well, you don't seem to be making any substantial points, so I thought that if you referred to your Alma Mater, you might be able to indicate to us what you believe are it's strengths. Only trying to help you out there.

Sorry mods! This thread has gone off on a tangent.

Pure Cork wrote:
    So, are you saying that I shouldn't pay any attention to the reputation of those intitutions among academics who have no connection with them, or people involved in industry?

It's just not how it works. People in industry don't hire based on what university you went to, but rather on what skills you've developed, and your strengths. Different universalities have different priorities and I know you want to rap yourself in the comfort blanket that some magical university is great at everything, but it's not the case. What one university considers fundamental, another will not even cover. That's why you get some companies saying that such a course is crap or great, simply because students developed some skill specific to them.

Maybe I said that UCD and CIT are two of the best, because they really are two of the best, and are strong across the board.

That's not the case.
    Your experience tells you? What experience is that? If you are doubting the quality of the engineering courses in UCD and CIT (I don't have to mention a specific discipline because they are strong across the board) then you must be as do mheabhair.

Lets be clear, you've no experience, and I've four years experience. There can be a huge difference between specific disciplines.
    Well, you don't seem to be making any substantial points, so I thought that if you referred to your Alma Mater, you might be able to indicate to us what you believe are it's strengths. Only trying to help you out there.

You haven't asked me a single specific question. I'm unwilling to speak in generalities.

"People in industry don't hire based on what university you went to"
    The college you go to can impact on your employment prospects. The skills you learn are of course vital, and are one of the most important factors in getting a job.

"I know you want to rap yourself in the comfort blanket that some magical university is great at everything"
    You're completely going off the point on this one. I know that universities have different strengths and weaknesses.

"That's not the case."
    It clearly is the case, you're just not willing to admit it. UCD and CIT engineering is very good across the board and is recognised as being so by many academics and multi-national companies. Again, you have not made even one substantial point against this fact.

"There can be a huge difference between specific disciplines."
    Yes, there can. But generally, UCD and CIT are strong across the board in engineering, which is recognised by people in the know who have no connections to those institutions.

Instead of arguing against the likes of UCD and CIT (there really is no point because they are both of a very high standard), perhaps you should argue why TCD should be considered by potential engineering students. So far, you have failed to make any decent argument against UCD and CIT (because there is no grounds for it) and have failed to illustrate any qualities of TCD engineering.

Moderators,

Maybe you could delete some of the posts because they've basically destroyed this thread starting with 29-11-2006, 17:43, and the ones today from Today, 17:13 to this one.

• Advertisement

Pure Cork wrote:
    The college you go to can impact on your employment prospects. The skills you learn are of course vital, and are one of the most important factors in getting a job.
    after a couple years no one cares where you got your primary degree. If you really talked to someone in the industry they would tell you that.
    You're completely going off the point on this one. I know that universities have different strengths and weaknesses.
    Yet you keep saying UCD and CIT are great across the board.
    "That's not the case."
    It clearly is the case, you're just not willing to admit it. UCD and CIT engineering is very good across the board and is recognised as being so by many academics and multi-national companies. Again, you have not made even one substantial point against this fact.
    "That's not the case." It clearly is the case, you're just not willing to admit it. UCD and CIT engineering is very good across the board and is recognised as being so by many academics and multi-national companies. Again, you have not made even one substantial point against this fact.
    I notice that every time you make your statement you're statement above you water it down. It started with "the best", then "Strong" , now "very good". What are you basing your opinion on. You see I'm not making claims about how good or bad UCD is, you're the one making grand sweeping statement, as such you should back them up. You've no idea what engineering in any other university is like, so how can you make those statements?
    "There can be a huge difference between specific disciplines."
    Yes, there can. But generally, UCD and CIT are strong across the board in engineering, which is recognised by people in the know who have no connections to those institutions.
    Please outline this board you speak of. You're saying that in every single aspect of engineering UCD and CIT excel and are among the best in the country. Usually people don't make those type of grand statements, in fact in all my years, you, and un-educated, un-informed students, has dared to make such a statement.
    Instead of arguing against the likes of UCD and CIT (there really is no point because they are both of a very high standard)
    I would never argue against UCD or CIT for the shake of it. Whether or not a course is strong/Poor/Great really depends on what the student is looking for. Trinity is allot better then other universities for producing certain types of graduates i ncertain fields, and allot worst at producing other types of graduates. This is something you seem unable to wrap your brain around.

Perhaps you should argue why TCD should be considered by potential engineering students.
    Why do you want to do engineering? What type of engineering do you want to do? What do you want to do with your degree? and what do you hope to achieve from the course? Answer those questions for me and I'll tell you if the TCD course is of any use.
    So far, you have failed to make any decent argument against UCD and CIT
    I'm neither for nor against CIT or UCD. Btw you realise the approaches taken by UCD, TCD and CIT are very different and they produce very different graduates? I bet you didn't know that, I bet you never even thought about that.
    failed to illustrate any qualities of TCD engineering.
    Surely you know all about the course, since you've yet to ask me any questions on the course.

Ps why should posts be deleted? Simply because I'm telling people to think and challanging you to think?

Why would you base a decision on "the best course" when you could just research 'til you find one to really suit you? I mean surely different courses have different aspects, you're gonna spend the next 4 years or so studying something, choose it for yourself and not because other people tell you to. TBH, yeah, I'm looking at Trinity, but no, I don't want to go there I'm looking at the place for my mother's sake, so that she doesn't have to worry if I feck off halfway 'cross the country next year.

(Sorry if that was off-topic, I'm way too tired to argue properly or even read properly, also...a member with 7 posts will always be pwned by a longterm member, no matter how hard they try :D )

"after a couple years no one cares where you got your primary degree. If you really talked to someone in the industry they would tell you that."
    Um....there is such a thing as getting a first job.

"Yet you keep saying UCD and CIT are great across the board."
    You've taken that out of context.

"every time you make your statement you're statement above you water it down. It started with "the best", then "Strong" , now "very good"."
    :rolleyes:

"Btw you realise the approaches taken by UCD, TCD and CIT are very different and they produce very different graduates? I bet you didn't know that, I bet you never even thought about that."
    Of course I've thought about it. But, graduates from these courses all have the potential to become leading engineers, project managers, managers with global companies. As far as producing very different graduates, CIT has a lot more manufacturing engineering in the course than UCD or TCD, and this is suited to a lot of Irish industry. But, that isn't to say that CIT grads can't become important figures in top companies.

"a member with 7 posts will always be pwned by a longterm member, no matter how hard they try"
    :rolleyes:

Pure Cork wrote:
    Um....there is such a thing as getting a first job.

Depending on the person, that probably isn't an issue.
    Of course I've thought about it. But, graduates from these courses all have the potential to become leading engineers, project managers, managers with global companies. As far as producing very different graduates, CIT has a lot more manufacturing engineering in the course than UCD or TCD, and this is suited to a lot of Irish industry. But, that isn't to say that CIT grads can't become important figures in top companies.

Typical Biased talk. In TCD there's a specific manufacturing engineering course. Its why it's not a main focus of the main stream course. You make it sound like CIT is the place to go for manufacturing engineering.

Btw who said graduates from other courses don't have Job propects, and can go on to do more? I'm telling you you're not comparing like with like at the graduate level, since the courses are very different, as such people should pick the one which best suits them, rather then listening to some bull**** blow heart talk about the "best". There just isn't one course thats going to be the best for everyone, and thats exactly what you're claiming.

"Depending on the person, that probably isn't an issue."
    It might depend on ambitions too. If the college has links with certain companies with whom one might aspire to work for.

"Typical Biased talk. In TCD there's a specific manufacturing engineering course. Its why it's not a main focus of the main stream course. You make it sound like CIT is the place to go for manufacturing engineering."
    I don't know where you're going with that point. I'm basically saying that there is a bit more emphasis placed on manufacturing engineering in the CIT mech eng course than other strictly mech eng courses throughout the country. You're trying to put words into my mouth.

"Btw who said graduates from other courses don't have Job propects, and can go on to do more?"
    There are jobs everywhere for engineers.

"There just isn't one course thats going to be the best for everyone"
    Different strokes for different folks.

"I'm telling you you're not comparing like with like at the graduate level, since the courses are very different"
    Didn't I just compare CIT mech eng with other mech eng courses and how it may have an impact with Irish industry? Maybe you would like to elaborate on this. All grads of a particular discipline are competing against each other.

Jesus Christ would you learn how to quote? and this is a thread about Open Days, not TCD so why not just feck off over to the TCD forum and bitch over there?

Pure Cork wrote:

"I'm telling you you're not comparing like with like at the graduate level, since the courses are very different"
    Didn't I just compare CIT mech eng with other mech eng courses and how it may have an impact with Irish industry? Maybe you would like to elaborate on this. All grads of a particular discipline are competing against each other.

You compared them, but not in away that would indicate one being better than the other. Doing more manufacturing engineering is hardly going to make the course better or worse, just more suited to one set of people than another.

"Jesus Christ would you learn how to quote?"
    I prefer the traditional method. (Sorry, I just find it quicker)

"this is a thread about Open Days"
    Did somebody say earlier that this thread was going off on a tangent?

"You compared them, but not in away that would indicate one being better than the other. Doing more manufacturing engineering is hardly going to make the course better or worse, just more suited to one set of people than another."
    Different strokes for different folks. If somebody want to do mech eng with a stronger element of manufacturing because there is demand for it in Ireland, then it is better than other courses for this, but still won't put grads at a disadvantage if they want to become highly successful international engineers (too tired to phrase that properly).

I've got better things to do with my time.....the debate is over.

Pure Cork wrote:
    Different strokes for different folks. If somebody want to do mech eng with a stronger element of manufacturing because there is demand for it in Ireland, then it is better than other courses for this.

I'm glad you've finally seen sense and have changed your position to mine.

• Advertisement

One of the reasons why I said CIT have a very good course is because of that element. I know that if people would prefer less manufacturing than they won't pursue the course. Some people might transfer to UL, etc. after two years if manufacturing is not for them. I haven't changed my position on that. UCD and CIT are very good for engineering, and have many strengths across the disciplines, and are both highly regarded in the academic world and in industry. Of course, other courses can be highly regarded also. I don't and have never doubted that. Certain elements in certain courses of course will suit different people and their ambitions, I have never questioned that. If the TCD course suits you, then I'm happy for you. Sometimes on forums, people can misinterpret things.

I have no more to say about this.

Advertisement