Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting tiles in a curve

Options
  • 26-11-2006 5:05pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi

need to tile up to a quadrant shower try and hence need the tiles cut at the curve of the tray

I have a wet-cutter but not sure how to cut a curve

how do I do this - a scibe tool ???

tHX

k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I find it easier to use a small angle grinder with a 4" diamond disc. This will work fine for most ceramic tiles, porcelain will be a problem.

Just mark your tile and bit by bit deepen the cut along the mark. A small tip is that when you're cutting a tightish curve, hold the grinder at an appropriate angle to the tile. This will help the disc to make the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I have a curved step in my bathroom, and used marble/natural stone tiles, which are easy to cut with a diamond disk, with the added advantage I could then sand them using a belt saner to get a really smooth finish. For normal ceramic, use a 4" diamond disk as the previous poster suggested and make lots of little cuts into your tile, and then smooth the top edge to a neat curve. You'll only need to get the top edge perfect. I always make templates from thin cardboard first, so the curve is right. You may be able to get the cardboard under the shower tray to make this easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Question? Do you cut the top of the tile ?

Or the underneath to avoid chipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well I always (carefully) cut on the top of the tile. The grout will cover any chipping unless you make a real hash of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

One way which is accurate but time consuming and especially useful if you have compound curves in a single tile is to:
    mark the curve on to the tile and using a wet cutter or a diamond disc on a 4" grinder cut slots from the edge into the tile on a right angle until they meet the marked line.
    Keep cutting these slots about 8mm apart then just snap off all the fingers and clean the edge with a stone grinding disc.
    This method is slow but safer than trying to cut a curved line from the top with a grinder which has a straight blade ;)
    Nothing is more frustrating than having the grinder dig in and score the tile on the very last cuts...

• Advertisement
Advertisement