Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

non vegetarian vegetarian recipies

• 26-11-2006 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

anyone know if grana padano cheese is vegetarian? quick google would indicate probably not as rennet seems to be used a la parmesan.. seems to be in alot of shop bought pesto's.

was flickiing through rachel allen's cookbook - almost all the recipies in the vegetarian section have parmesan in them - this never ceases to amaze me in these books. i've even seen this in vegetarian cook books..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

You can probably get veggie parmesan. I've a cookbook that uses Guinness in a few recipies, which isn't veggie. It's probably possible to get vegetarian cookbooks with fish in them.

Some of the authors of these books may not be strict veggies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bonzo82

It might nearly be easier to get vegan parm than veggie, I know the vast majority of parm is made with animal rennet. There's a good vegan one called parmazano...it's not in block form of course, just comes in a shaker thingy, you'd probably find it in the health shops. I use it for pesto and it's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

There's a vegetarian parmesan you can get in health food shops in the UK (sorry forget the name). It's made in Germany. Not sure why you can't get it here, lack of demand I suppose, I've never seen it anyway.

Hmmm yeah that parmazano is easy to get but I don't think it's that great, it's ok I suppose.

I think for some supermarket type products they will use 'fake' types of cheese - e.g. its listed as 'emmental' or whatever but its mostly just an approximation. So I'm not 100% sure about this, but something listed as 'parmesan' may in fact be veggie in this case (but if the item itself is not labelled veggie as such, then I guess it probably isnt..) oh the joys...! :rolleyes:

Actually it should be the case that more manufacturers are using non-animal rennet in general, as there should be more variations which would allow them to have more control over the cheese-making process, there was something about Dubliner cheese making use of this to get a distinct flavour. I guess it should be cheaper as well.

Advertisement