Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time phone-line installation in new house?

Options
  • 26-11-2006 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Sorry if this isint in the right section...

My sister moved into a new house last year in an estate in Tralee. Now, the physical line is (obviously) installed, but they didnt activate the line.

I want to get her a phone line and 12months rental for XMas. Do I need to contact eircom for this? (Presumably they are the only people who can activate the actual line? Or am I wrong?)

Can I just give them payment details for 12months?
    Does an engineer have to come out to activate/test the line?

Sorry for all the questions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

If there's already a line in the house, but it hasn't been activated, you can get it connected for free if you order oline at www.eircom.ie.

If the line in your sisters house doesn't have a dialtone, then it may still require some wiring by eircom. (Borrow a phone handset and plug it in). But only eircom can decide whether or not the wiring is "already in place".

I don't think you can pay for 12 months line rental in advance, and usually the bill for line rental and the bill for calls go to the same person, but it is possible to pay the line rental to eircom, and get a separate bill for just calls, if you arrange to get the calls through any one of a dozen CPS providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks, I read the eicom site, they're doing a free connection offer atm

AFAIK the sister has the line pre-wired alright, but it'll be up to eircom to decide if it's all connected etc.

It also comes with a talktime package, so I guess ill have to ring eircom and see how I can go about paying line rental for the year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

JohnCleary wrote:
    It also comes with a talktime package, so I guess ill have to ring eircom and see how I can go about paying line rental for the year....
    You don't have to take the talktime package to get the free phone line. But if you're going to pay by direct debit anyway, then I suppose it would be worth considering the Weekender package for the sake of 3 months of line rental for €13. But be aware that you'd be locked into a 12 month minimum contract on any Talktime package.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Foxwood wrote:
    You don't have to take the talktime package to get the free phone line. But if you're going to pay by direct debit anyway, then I suppose it would be worth considering the Weekender package for the sake of 3 months of line rental for €13. But be aware that you'd be locked into a 12 month minimum contract on any Talktime package.

for the time being im just gonna order the line & broadband, she can order talktime again if she wants

Advertisement