Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widening The Dunmore Road At Viewmount/Powerscourt

• 26-11-2006 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭

Seems that there is a proposal to widen the Dunmore Road at Viewmount/Powerscourt by removing the green area and trees at the front of Viewmount. I wonder if McCann will actually do anything about this.

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Why don't they try this instead and see how it goes:

- Widen to two lanes inbound from the upper entrance to Viewmount, as far as the roundabout.

- Create a slip road from this point going left and merging with the Outer Ring Road heading towards Tesco. The land is there.

- Set the left lane for left turns only (i.e. onto the new slip road) and the right lane for straight-on to the roundabout for the city centre and the hospital.

The problem as I see it is not the road leading up to the roundabout; it's the roundabout itself, and the pedestrian lights leading up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

fricatus wrote:
    Why don't they try this instead and see how it goes:

- Widen to two lanes inbound from the upper entrance to Viewmount, as far as the roundabout.
    And just where are the people going to walk?

The proposal is about removing the front wall of Viewmount and the green area behind it to widen the road.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    And just where are the people going to walk?

On the footpath, when they relocate it back three metres to accommodate a new lane...

What I'm saying is that there is no need to knock down any of the wall at Viewmount. The traffic problem inbound is caused by capacity problems at the Ardkeen roundabout. Outbound there's a capacity problem at the Island Lane traffic lights. The width of the road is not a problem, and in my view, the City Council should tackle capacity problems at these road junctions rather than widening the roads in between, which are adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jmcc wrote:
    Seems that there is a proposal to widen the Dunmore Road at Viewmount/Powerscourt by removing the green area and trees at the front of Viewmount. I wonder if McCann will actually do anything about this.

Regards...jmcc

Silly proposal. You will widen a road - create a very short extra lane, and then back into a bottleneck at Island Lane and Ardkeen. What's the point?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

jmcc wrote:

Regards...jmcc

Just what the world needs - LESS trees?:rolleyes:

Dumb idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Freddie59 wrote:
    Silly proposal. You will widen a road - create a very short extra lane, and then back into a bottleneck at Island Lane and Ardkeen. What's the point?:confused:
    Spot on.

Tanabe wrote:
    Just what the world needs - LESS trees?:rolleyes:

Dumb idea.

And again.

Well everyone at the residents association meeting was against the plan to remove the front of Viewmount. I have to say that I was impressed with Brendan McCann's knowledge of the situation.

The city council apparently got some Dublin consultancy to do the report. Jim D'Arcy and Davy Daniels also turned up at the meeting. Davy Daniels was saying that nothing might happen for a few years yet. Eitherway, I am not pleased that some Waterford city council types in collusion with a Dublin consultancy want to remove the front of Viewmount.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno if this is a goer but could the Island lane junction be 'tweaked' with a left turn only lane (with flashing amber only) from town side? The ORR really is'nt very outer at all when you reach the Dunmore road. Perhaps a spur is required though where it could exit onto the Dumore road is another matter.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

When was the residents association meeting? I didn't hear anything about it

If it goes ahead I wouldn't like to be living in the front row. Where would pedestrians walk since they don't use the current footpath :rolleyes:

Even though the front road is one way in the direction out of town there are some nutters who ignore it and speed up the front row in the mornings to get ahead of a few cars. It's an accident waiting to happen since there are 2 school bus stops at either end.:mad:

mike65 wrote:
    Dunno if this is a goer but could the Island lane junction be 'tweaked' with a left turn only lane (with flashing amber only) from town side? The ORR really is'nt very outer at all when you reach the Dunmore road. Perhaps a spur is required though where it could exit onto the Dumore road is another matter.

Mike.

Makes perfect sense on both points...

Where would it make sense to put an "outer-outer" spur? Roughly from Ballygunner/Knokboy down to the existing ORR between the Airport Road and Williamstown?

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote:
    When was the residents association meeting? I didn't hear anything about it
    Monday night. They sent a photocopied flyer around. I can't remember seeing anyone from FF or Labour - though I probably wouldn't recognise the Labour reps.
    Even though the front road is one way in the direction out of town there are some nutters who ignore it and speed up the front row in the mornings to get ahead of a few cars.
    Yeah. And of course there are still the idiots who drive up the front row the wrong way. Some speed bumps and tyre shredders might stop them. Though the people walking on the road instead of the footpath always looks strange. The lucky thing is that none of them have been knocked down. Also those overgrown flowerpots at the top and bottom of the row could be gotten rid of. Not old Viewmount at all. They tend to block the views of drivers coming in and out of the place.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement