Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB scanner

Options
  • 26-11-2006 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Want to get my dad one for xmas, lookin to spend about 80 euro or so, wil that get me a decent one?

Any recommendations or links?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

be warned that they are crap, he'll be bored of it after 20mins

you used to be able to pick up mobile phone on them until about 3 years ago, now that was fun,

I remember hearing a girl telling her ex-bf that she took an overdose of paracetmol, we (me and the collage house mates) laughed so much when she eveentually said that she took "about 4 tablets"

but here is where to get them
    http://www.longcom.ie/scanners/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Are they really rap ye? Its a pity the garda cant be picked up anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

yeah dont bother with them, all you can pick up now is planes and some taxis

pilots are hard to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Garda can't be picked up? Bah, there goes all the fun. Since when? I thought they hadn't upgraded to some secure digital yet?

Well if anyone wants to sell theres drop me a pm :p

• Advertisement

Can anyone that knows about this stuff recommend or give me a link to a scanner that just picks up the emergency services, taxis etc in Dublin that costs about 60-80euro?

I havent a clue about all this frequency stuff and just want one that works!

Im willing to buy one second hand to if theres one on offer! Or ebay will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I listen to the Garda every day on mine. Still open for all to hear although they do use there mobiles an awful lot now. Keeps the juicy info off air.:(

The 088 days were class,the things you'd hear.:D :D:D I never knew you could do such weird things with handsets.:eek: :eek:

Something like this one will pick up Garda radio.

Stay well clear of this kind of stuff

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

out of interest only say you wanted to listen to gsm mobiles would it be possible with off the shelf equipment

AFAIK it can be done but not just with a scanner on it's own. You'd need a wide band scanner but also software on a pc to decode the signal. Had a brief look at it myself out of interest but the price of things turned me off the idea. Alright if it's your kind of thing as a hobby but too expensive for what the normal joe soap would get out of it.

Something like this one will pick up Garda radio.

Stay well clear of this kind of stuff

Thanks Tax man ;) . The bearcat may just be out of my price range when postage is factored into it, any other similar ones for a bit cheaper?

• Advertisement

The only other one I could find was this one. You'll still be able to pick up the Gardaí but it doesn't cover the Airband so it won't pick up planes.

You could check it out here but I certainly wouldn't pay what they want for it.

Nice one taxman, that looks the business and i know my dad wanted a bearcat, even though he doesnt have the first clue (like me) he just heard there the best ones to get :D

Just ordered one, icl. postage cost 70euro. Not bad, considereing CQ communications were charging 189:eek:

Thanks again

Well that's rip off Ireland for ya.:rolleyes:

Hope he enjoys it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

why dont you look at that,was about to make a request on what scanners to buy!
    parents are getting me one for xmas,they're looking at this one:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35695&criteria=scanners&doy=8m12
    had a look in maplins in blackpool,cork and they have it for €148,good price?
    would this be a good one,im a aircraft enthusiast so listening to atc & aircraft are a must...so yay or nay?

cheers
    damo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have a bearcat scanner. I use it to listen to the cops. The best place to be is in Dublin, there is a lot of Garda activity there. Down here in Navan there is not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Its a pity the garda cant be picked up anymore
    ??????????? Got my ears 'on' at the moment. ;)

@Damo Looks as if it should meet your needs.
    Irish Freq List
    That should give you an idea of what the scanners range will pick up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Back when you could pick up the 088 calls was great. I remember I had about 80 frequencies saved and there was always plenty of calls at the same time. From drug deals to phone sex, it was very 'interesting' ;).

delly wrote:
    Back when you could pick up the 088 calls was great. I remember I had about 80 frequencies saved and there was always plenty of calls at the same time. From drug deals to phone sex, it was very 'interesting' ;).

I never had the luxury of the 088's:( . Sounds great though.

I never had the luxury of the 088's:( . Sounds great though.
    Well, there is still the luxury of the non-digitally enhanced cordless telephones. ;)

• Advertisement

Well, there is still the luxury of the non-digitally enhanced cordless telephones. ;)

Pm me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Oh yes they can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

cheers tax man,
    prob get that one so

damo

Ok gave my dad the bearcat, but we havent a clue. We've been scanning up and down and putting in the frequencies for various stuff but were getting nothing.

Does anyone know what band the garda are on?

It seems to be scanning the same frequency range over and over, cant get past it even though the scanner is capable of doing so? Any ideas?

.Does anyone know what band the garda are on?
    All Garda Stations/Patrols operate beteewn 164.000 and 164.4000 using a 12.5 step. Set you scanner to scan between these two points using a 12.5 step.

Bear in mind that it will be much quieter today

In Dublin the Garda Traffic Channel is 455.1250.

DMA North Control is 455.7750.

Ok gave my dad the bearcat, but we havent a clue. We've been scanning up and down and putting in the frequencies for various stuff but were getting nothing.

Does anyone know what band the garda are on?

It seems to be scanning the same frequency range over and over, cant get past it even though the scanner is capable of doing so? Any ideas?

Follow the link I posted on reply #18
    Click on Frequency Lists on the top left,then click on Irish Frequencies at the bottom of next page,then pick your county or the different type of services.
    Today would be a bit quite on the radio I'd say.

Has anyone else noticed that the chopper seems to be gone off the airwaves.:(
    Has it gone digital?

All Garda Stations/Patrols operate beteewn 164.000 and 164.4000 using a 12.5 step. Set you scanner to scan between these two points using a 12.5 step.

Bear in mind that it will be much quieter today

In Dublin the Garda Traffic Channel is 455.1250.

DMA North Control is 455.7750.

Iv ebeing scanning around 164 but is it band 1, 2 or 3 i should be on?

Thanks for the help guys, weve been picking up some taxis!

Well from your models manual BAND 2 should pick something up.
    Heres a link to my manual and the different steps in kHz.Linky
    You'll notice both model share similar freq ranges with the same scanning steps.
    I don't have the 12.5 step around 164mhz range either.But I pick alot of Gardaí radio on 440.000mhz to 469.990mhz with a 10kHz step. The same is on Band 2 on your model.
    I'd also try to manually input frequencies from known lists rather then scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

GSM calls are encrypted using a unique key burned into the SIM card. Apparently though, with a good computer and if you capture more then a minute of the call, you can decode it thanks to flaws in the security, and from that point on, you will be able to decode and listen to that persons calls. 3G networks havent been cracked yet though, so if you are one of those paranoid people, get a 3G phone :D

I never had any luck with Garda channels here, although I only had a loan of a scanner for a day or two. I did pick up "internal" stuff at the hospital though.

• Advertisement

Has anyone else noticed that the chopper seems to be gone off the airwaves.:(
    Has it gone digital?
    I heard it last (Alpha Sierra) around about the 23rd of December assisting with traffic management.

Advertisement