Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop is dying on me

• 26-11-2006 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hey, I got a Dell Inspiron 6000 last august. It's slow on start up, the loading bar has always been slow. I have 9.4 gb left, I use firewall, AVG, Avast and reg edit all the time. So I do take good care of it. Recently it got attacked by trojan dialers and some "spyware detection alert". Still trying to get rid of them.

My real problem now is that there is an odd cricking/whirring sound coming from the right hand side. It's not the fan side, I never cover that up. I don't know what it is, sounds like two pieces inside are rubbing off each other or something. It beeps sometimes too. I had a prob with it about 9 months ago, but it went away. Now it's back. It gets hot quite fast and can't run alot at once e.g. Music and MSN, it freezes sometimes. I don't know if I can bring it back at this stage. And my neighbour who fixes computers said Dell are useless for help anyways...

Anybody know whats causing this or have any advice??? Really appreciate it :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭tomster

hello... i'll tell you what would i do: backup your data (music, films, game saves, etc), then remove ALL partitions, clear master boot record MBR, create ONE partition and format it from DOS level. In the end check information how many (if any) bad sectors appeared during the format process. then install new operating system and check if your hdd does it's job properly. If not - i'd replace it. Too much to loose. Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tomster wrote:
    hello... i'll tell you what would i do: backup your data (music, films, game saves, etc), then remove ALL partitions, clear master boot record MBR, create ONE partition and format it from DOS level. In the end check information how many (if any) bad sectors appeared during the format process. then install new operating system and check if your hdd does it's job properly. If not - i'd replace it. Too much to loose. Take care.

Do all of the above, and do it quickly.

Advertisement