Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daschund & Beagle?

Options
  • 26-11-2006 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Beagle at the moment and I'm thinking of getting a Daschund pup... will they get along, the Beagle is small but very strong and I'm just affraid that she'll hurt the Daschund while playing....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

I have 4 mini Dachshunds. I considered a Beagle before getting my last Dachshund. Dachsies are small dogs but very sturdy so as long as your introductions should be supervised and your beagle learns some good self control such as "leave it", "relax" and "finish" before puppy arrives there should be no problems.

They come in miniature and standard size and I have emailed you a contact so that you can source a reputable breeder.

They are a great breed but they are very much a hound and smooth coated to wire to long all vary personality wise so do your research carefully before choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Before you get a new pup, make sure first that your beagle is fine with other dogs in general.
    Have him meet some pups (breed doesn't matter), does he behave around them or is he trying to domineer them?
    Have a dog visit him at home, on his turf. Does he tolerate an "intruder" (properly introduced of course) or is he standing his ground, defending all that is "his".

If he gets agitated or even agressive in both scenarios, he would be better off as an only dog.

Not all dogs like the company of other dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

she seems ok with other dogs, we had a friends dog for a week and they were great together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sounds good ...

Both Beagle and Dackel are "nosey" hunter types (rather than sight hunters or herders) so they should have no trouble "sharing" each others interests.

Do yourself a favour ...don't get too small or "overdone" a Dachshund. As with all fashionable dogs, there are a good few questionable breeders out there and some of their "products" have virtually no legs and endless spines ...that's asking for trouble and astronomical vet bills.

Get yourself a medium to tall, sturdy, strong, compact fella ...possibly a wirehair (less desirable for some reason) ...that should be a perfect companion for an energetic Beagle.

Edit:

rather like this:
    Teckel.jpg

than like that:
    dachshsc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

steve06 wrote:
    I have a Beagle at the moment and I'm thinking of getting a Daschund pup... will they get along, the Beagle is small but very strong and I'm just affraid that she'll hurt the Daschund while playing....
    They should be ok if the Beagle is fine around other dogs.
    At my parents house they have a ****zuh (sp?) that plays with 2 St Bernards and an Irish Wolf Hound. If they can get on great even with huge size difference there is hope :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

My cousins used to have Daschunds like the second one posted by Peasant. I remember them being plagued by back and weight problems.

I had the pleasure of meeting a miniature chocolate brown daschund two weeks ago, and I absolutely fell in love at first sight...(even though I'm wary of the 'miniature' thing) She didnt have the long back of the other daschunds I knew, but was that bit smaller. Her personality was fantastic (a little like my whippet's).

First time I have ever been tempted by a 'pedigree' but I think it was the individual more than her breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amanda_b

Hi, I am looking for breeder information for short haired mini daschunds but am finding it VERY difficult. I have attended some shows in recent weeks which were great to see but it was hard to meet people. Do you know of any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Rabies wrote: »
    They should be ok if the Beagle is fine around other dogs.
    At my parents house they have a ****zuh (sp?) that plays with 2 St Bernards and an Irish Wolf Hound. If they can get on great even with huge size difference there is hope :D

SHIH TZU!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

sillymoo wrote: »
    SHIH TZU!!!!!!!!!

I agree, i think a shih tzu is the perfect companion for a Beagle. My Beagle goes to the park eevryday with my friend Beagle and the love playing together. I think the Shih Tzu is the perfect size and quite strudy for rolling around and whatever with a Beagle especially during their mad half hours. Im not a big fan of daschunds, there quite a vicous one nearby who snarls at everything that passes, poor little thing.

Before getting another dog, make sure your Beagle understands commands like relax, lie down and leave it. They can get carried away sometimes with smaller dogs which is when these commands come in handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

amanda_b wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for breeder information for short haired mini daschunds but am finding it VERY difficult. I have attended some shows in recent weeks which were great to see but it was hard to meet people. Do you know of any?

Are you looking to show the dog? If not, www.irishanimals.ie have a mini daschund cross at the moment for rehoming. She is really cute and tiny.

this link is better - http://www.irishanimals.ie//dublin_homes.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement