Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop is dying on me

• 26-11-2006 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hey, I got a Dell Inspiron 6000 last august. It's slow on start up, the loading bar has always been slow. I have 9.4 gb space left, I use firewall, AVG, Avast and reg edit all the time. So I do take good care of it. Recently it got attacked by trojan dialers and some "spyware detection alert" zlob thing, but I fixed it.

My problem now is that there is an odd cricking/whirring sound coming from the right hand side. It's not the fan side, I never cover that up. I don't know what it is, sounds like two pieces inside are scraping off each other or something. It beeps sometimes too. I had a prob with it about 9 months ago, but it went away. Now it's back. It gets hot quite fast and can't run alot at once e.g. Music. google & MSN messenger, it freezes sometimes. I don't know if I can bring it back at this stage. And my neighbour who fixes computers said Dell are useless for help anyways...

Anybody know whats causing this or have any advice??? Really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

And my neighbour who fixes computers said Dell are useless for help anyways

so is he, since your posting here :D

about the noise is it like thie.....

"click"-"click"-"click" in about 1 sec
    pause for 3 seconds then..

if so your hard drive has a damaged platter, you need to backup everything NOW and buy or claim a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Doesn't sound too good, backup what you can as mukki suggested. Sounds like its going to croak anytime. What kind of a warranty do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I don't have any of the stuff that came with computer, ordered it through my uncle's office to save on VAT, so they might have the papers and that. I have everything on external hard drive already.

It isn't a pattern sound, just random. Sometimes it won't do it for ages, sometimes it does it loads esp if I have a few programs running. Not so much a click sound as a scraping/ breaking sound, it's loud. and some beeping. Then sometimes a low sound like you can hear what's going on inside it.

I dunno if it is gonna break, cos like I said it was doing this within a few months of me getting it. And recently playing up again. Do you think it could be from over usage? It wasn't used at all last week.

How do I go about getting a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you dont need any papers.
    go to dell.ie and under service and support enter your service tag.
    it will tell you how long you have left on the warranty.

Thanks, where can I find the sevice tag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

there should be a little sticker somewhere on the laptop - usually on the bottom bside the windows product key sticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

its your hard drive, if your still under warranty dell will replace it.
    if you're still under warranty as well they should copy your old hard drive to your new one. But i would just confirm about that!

Definitly start to back up your important information

otherwise go to peats and get a bigger one for cheap.

Thanks. Laptop is getting riddled with dialers and trojans and worms. And some "Spyware Detection Alert" fake antivirus keeps coming up on start up that I can't find to delete. :mad: Do you think all this junk is fuxn up my computer?

subway wrote:
    you dont need any papers.
    go to dell.ie and under service and support enter your service tag.
    it will tell you how long you have left on the warranty.

yea... it ran out Aug 25th. So I just gotta put all my documents folder on my external hard drive? How much for a new hard drive & installation? Any recommendations on places?

Advertisement