Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male dogs peeing every where

Options
  • 26-11-2006 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

oh my lord, my one and a half year old is wrecking my head.
    He IS housetrained but he is so stubborn if i leave him alone he will pee and poo for attention. Schnauzers are known for being stubborn but he is just out of control. I got a dog trainer and she just said give him a time out, he knows he has done something wrong but he just takes the punishment and goes and does it again. Ive tried scented sprays to deter him, a plug in from the vet that doesnt work and cost 50 yoyo.
    I dont want to spay him yet as he is only young, can anyone help me!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

First off, spay him, 1.5 years old is a time when most male dogs will try to assert their authority, this sounds like what he is doing. Spaying will probably help immensely.

If the problem persists (I have a feeling it might not), and the vet rules out anything medical, consult a pet behaviorist.
    I'm sure others here will have similiar experiences and can advise too.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Neuter him - at one and a half he is well old enough. he has matured growth wise and if there is no medical reason not to do it then book him in.
    There's no reason not to at all - My mothers westie even pee's on me and I find it disgusting - he;s not neutered yet and his peeing is a joke at this stage -
    My jrt x was neutered at one and a half - about 3 days after I adopted him and he's not pee'd in the house at all - other than if we have visiting dogs etc but that's only to be expected. he's 11 now
    i suppose he has retained some kind of trait for scent marking.

the 50 euro you spent on a gadget would neuter 2 dogs in the Dogs Aid clinic in Ballymun.
    If you want more details you can PM me.

Oh, and somthing to remember.
    If you get him neutered now, if it stops this behaviour (which I suspect strongly it will) he (hopefully) wont be as likely to be left with a learned behaviour that will have to be trained out of him if you leave it much longer.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While getting him neutered is a very good idea, I don't quite see what neutering has to do with stopping a dog from having a dump in the house.

There is something else afoot here.
    You say he does this when you leave him alone ...how long does he actually have to be alone before he does this?

You leave the room for a minute and return to a steaming mess?
    Or is it more like after a few hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

it could be as short as me running to the shop. Neuturing is all very well but does it change the personality of the dog? my bf thinks he will get fat and lazy....:p

• Advertisement

What turns a dog (any dog) fat and lazy is too much / the wrong food and not enough excercise.

Nothing to do with neutering.

Soiling the house usually has nothing to do with stubborness and very little with attention.

A dog cannot forward plan along the lines of: I do not want to be alone, yet she leaves me alone, hence I soil the place.
    That's just a human interpretation of a different behaviour.

He *might* be doing it for attention, but if that was the case he'd be doing it in front of you. Once again, a dog cannot plan to soil NOW in order to get attention once you return. For all he knows you might never return.

There could be several reasons why he soils the house in your absence:

- he is not properly housetrained ...at some stage he has made a wrong connection and "learned" that it is ok to do it in the house under certain circumstances (did you ever train him to "go" on a newspaper when he was small?)
    - he has some medical reason for doing it
    - he doesn't like the conditions outside at the moment and doesn't actually "do" anything when you let him out and then he simply has to go at some stage.
    - he suffers from separation anxiety and get's so wound up thet he loses control over his body and soils himself

Try and find out which one it is

peasant wrote:
    While getting him neutered is a very good idea, I don't quite see what neutering has to do with stopping a dog from having a dump in the house.

In the title she says peeing, peeing is often territory or dominance based, neutering often reduces the dogs need to do so.

B

You're correct of course ...it's just that one line further down it is said that he pees and poos ...slightly different scenario

She mentions that she thinks he does it "for attention".
    I just often think that somtimes (just somtimes), the owner knows the reason / answer without "knowing" they know it (if you get my meaning lol ;) ).
    I actually had a KCC that would poop as well as pee to get attention, the only thing that worked for her was trying (and trying and trying and trying) to make it clear to her that it wouldnt happen, lol, it aint easy to ignore a dog "pooping for attention" lol ;)

B:)

she..being me, does have a name :D he was trained properly and you are right about him peeing to mark his territory, if he goes to another house with a dog he will pee inside as well. Bringing him for a walk is "lets see if i can pee against anything that sticks out of the ground".
    Ive seen him pee against one blade of grass, a pram, a sandcastle and me while we were in a dog show. Hes not generally a nervous dog, being the male he is, cocky would be one word to describe him! He doesnt get attention when he pees now, i put him into his timeout room and dont pay attention to him.
    maybe neturing is the way... any way you can freeze dog sperm? id love a lil puppy from him!

• Advertisement

she..being me, does have a name :D he was trained properly and you are right about him peeing to mark his territory, if he goes to another house with a dog he will pee inside as well. Bringing him for a walk is "lets see if i can pee against anything that sticks out of the ground".
    Ive seen him pee against one blade of grass, a pram, a sandcastle and me while we were in a dog show. Hes not generally a nervous dog, being the male he is, cocky would be one word to describe him! He doesnt get attention when he pees now, i put him into his timeout room and dont pay attention to him.
    maybe neturing is the way...

Yepp ..that's obsessive marking alright. Neutering will certainly help reduce that.
    Having said that ...neutered dogs still mark their territory, so do some bitches.
    The most effective way of stopping him is to educate him to the fact that "you the boss" and that you decide when its enough. By all means, let him mark around the garden and a few strategic spots along his routine walks ...but that's it !
    Other people's property is taboo, so are kid's sandcastles and prams.
    It's up to you to draw the line !
    Outside there is no timeout room, just you, your voice and your body language ...so use it! Reign him in.

Him peeing on you, by the way, is a statement that couldn't be clearer ...he's your boss, you are his to command and he literally pi**es on you ... he even goes so far as to demonstrate that fact to other dogs at a dogshow no less.

If I were you, I'd change that, pronto !

any way you can freeze dog sperm? id love a lil puppy from him !

I won't comment on that one ...I'll just go and quietly bang my head off a wall, if that's ok ...

maybe thats for the best :)
    thanks for all your help, looks like ive a long fun journey ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

In the title she says peeing, peeing is often territory or dominance based, neutering often reduces the dogs need to do so.

B
    I got all my shih-tzus neutured and it made no difference to the peeing or the fighting:D It still continues to this day:)

Bettyboop wrote:
    I got all my shih-tzus neutured and it made no difference to the peeing or the fighting:D It still continues to this day:)

How many do you have, males? Females?
    Sounds like you may need to enlist a behaviouralist in your situation.
    The "social" behaviour of several dogs is very different to the social behaviour of a single dog. ;)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

How many do you have, males? Females?
    Sounds like you may need to enlist a behaviouralist in your situation.
    The "social" behaviour of several dogs is very different to the social behaviour of a single dog. ;)

B
    4 shih-tzus all male, was at a behavioralist and she even called to the house to observe,left instructions on who to feed 1st who to ignore and what dog to pay
    more attention too,how to stop the rows etc,we carried all the instructions out
    and still do.But no change:mad: although they dont fight as often:D I am the lower pack member:o and my partner is the "head hauncho":D So they listen to him more than me although they do wee when he is around though he knows when a weeing session is going to occur and shouts at them and they jump out the dog flap.Just thought I would let people know neuturing isnt guaranteed to
    work,especially in my case.I also wish to point out 3 of these doggies are rescued and come from different circumstances,2 were adults but all 3 abused very badly.It might make a difference to their characters and the way they behave.Anyway my 2 cents:)

Advertisement